A few scenario design questions and problems

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone.

I was trying to mod a scenario that I noticed is unbalanced on the ladder (as it's meant for play vs. computer only - I want to make it pbem-campatible). I noticed the lopsided win/loss results mainly at the blitz website, and also based on player feedback at this site. The scen in question is 'The Frozen Offensive.' (for EF)

Problem - I do not have East Front - but I have East Front II, AND all EF II expansions. I noticed this scenario had the old 'East Front' box cover on it, (at the download location) thought nothing of it, and tried to get down to business. However, when I went to the scenario editor, I got the message 'error opening file.' I tried opening a few other scens wit hthe editor, that also had the 'old style' box cover at the blitz, and got the same error. :(

I can *play* these scenarios fine, but I am not able to mod them. Would this be because I do not have the original East Front game(apparently the game this scenario was originally meant for)? Or could this be caused by another problem I'm not aware of? :confused:

Thanks for any feedback, folks! :)

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
John Given said:
Hello everyone.

I was trying to mod a scenario that I noticed is unbalanced on the ladder (as it's meant for play vs. computer only - I want to make it pbem-campatible). I noticed the lopsided win/loss results mainly at the blitz website, and also based on player feedback at this site. The scen in question is 'The Frozen Offensive.' (for EF)

Problem - I do not have East Front - but I have East Front II, AND all EF II expansions. I noticed this scenario had the old 'East Front' box cover on it, (at the download location) thought nothing of it, and tried to get down to business. However, when I went to the scenario editor, I got the message 'error opening file.' I tried opening a few other scens wit hthe editor, that also had the 'old style' box cover at the blitz, and got the same error. :(

I can *play* these scenarios fine, but I am not able to mod them. Would this be because I do not have the original East Front game(apparently the game this scenario was originally meant for)? Or could this be caused by another problem I'm not aware of? :confused:

Thanks for any feedback, folks! :)

For editing purposes, without EF, you're sh%$ out of luck, unfortunately.

Although, you might want to look through your EFII list to see if it was converted to EFII standards somewhere under the same title, or a new one.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For editing purposes, without EF, you're out of luck, unfortunately.

Although, you might want to look through your EFII list to see if it was converted to EFII standards somewhere under the same title, or a new one.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
;) I had a feeling that's what the problem was - thank you for the reply Jason.

I have no problem modding other scenarios (those written for WF and EF II for example), but there are no rewritten 'alternates' for these scenarios that I am aware of.

However, because of my frustration of being unable to see the 'upload dates' of blitz.org scenarios, :argh: yesterday I created an alphabetically-arranged list of EVERY single scenario in my East Front II folder (took me over two hours!) :nuts:

Now, all I need to do is go back to the blitz, cross reference all the East Front (plus expansions) scenarios there, and simply download any scenarios that don't appear on my personal scenario list. (that's another task for another day)

I wish I didn't have to go through all this crap, but it's impossible to arrange scenarios at the blitz.org by upload date, so this is the only other way.

Incidentally, I only found about a handful of modded scenarios in my downloaded scenario list - 'The Last Offensive' has an alternate, but not 'The Frozen Offensive.'

Abatis, if you sometimes wonder about my slowing turn rate lately, now you know what I've been up to... :cheeky:

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now I have another question or two.

If I create a new scenario, how much control do I have over which expansion the new scen is based on?

Problem: I'm thinking about creating a small EF II scenario, but I have the EF 'Project Blitzkrieg' scenario disk I installed. I'm worried that if I make the scenario, that those without the PB add-on won't be able to play it.

Are my fears unfounded? :confused:

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you create a scenario using any of the new units or organizations in PB#1, then yes, any player wishing to download will have to own that expansion to play.

The same will go for the PB#2 expansion I am working on.

Hope that helps
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho