A Dice Stat Too Far?

Do you want to see more dice stats in VASL?

• Yes - I want to see every snake-eyes reflected in the stats, to relive the full glory (or horror).

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No - Stop obsessing about the dice and just get on and play the game.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Meh - I don't care either way as long as there is a preference option to turn this on or off.

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks. Will do. Will it track my opponents rolls too, or just mine?
Just yours.
[EDIT: VASL is already tracking and collating all the rolls by category, this will just display yours, not your opponents unless they install it as well.]

Last edited:

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Until I am made aware of an analysis disproving the aforementioned one, I'll keep waving my flag embellished with "Dice(-bot) Superstition".
I'll be waving the same flag. I'll even settle for contesting the results since you can't prove a sequence isn't random, only show significant doubts.

Humans are very bad at "instinctively" doing probability and statistics, as the "Monty Haul problem" shows. We remember the significant results and forget the meaningless ones, especially when the significant results make good stories. When was the last time you hear someone complaining about rolling an 11 on a 1FP+3 attack, or bragging about rolling a 3 on a PTC? It's how people claiming to have "psychic powers" or "talk with the dead" make money. We need mathematics to see what really matters, but even then, we don't have the tools to factor in context -- a 6FP+0 attack resulting in a NMC on turn 1 of a large scenario matters far less than a 6FP+0 attack resulting in a NMC on the last turn on the last GO unit in the victory area.

We have problems "instinctively" dealing with logical reasoning, for example:
"You are shown a set of four cards placed on a table, each of which has a number on one side and a colored patch on the other side. The visible faces of the cards show 3, 8, red and brown. Which card(s) must you turn over in order to test the truth of the proposition that if a card shows an even number on one face, then its opposite face is red?"
----From Wikipedia
Failing to turn over a necessary card, or turning over an unnecessary card, is a failure.
Most people's "gut instinct" have them turning over the red card, among others.

We need data and analysis, not just "I think the VASL dice bot is biased". The one analysis we have says "no it isn't".

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
View attachment 19233
is it possible to know if this table of the statistics of the dice rolls will be ready and usable in a short time? Thanks.
Hi @chef-62, you can use it now, here's a link to download a modified version of VASL6.6.3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmf075k9khzht0v/vasl-6.6.3-JYtest.vmod?dl=0. There's a preference option under File\Preferences\VASL\Show detailed dice stats to turn it on and off. @DougRim tells me it will go into the VASL6.6.4 release next spring.

I also added another cosmetic change, an ability to independently choose the colors to display yours and your opponent's colored dice rolls in the chat window and dice over the map, to make it easier to quickly scan who rolled what (under File\Preferences\Chat Window\Player's colored die color etc, and File\Preferences\Dice over the map\Player's colored die color etc).

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Right now the order is shown on VASL by average DR ranking, low to high. I would prefer if it was a list with the left hand column in a consistent order. Rally, (TC, MC, IFT, TH, TK,) CC, and finally Other. The items in brackets, really for all the items listed, the order doesn't matter much. Just would like to compare row 1 between me and my opponent and not have to search down the list to make sure we are comparing Rally to Rally, CC to CC, etc.
Thanks @jyoung
Done - see my response to @chef-62 above with a download link, this version keeps the order consistent when using the expanded stats table.

chef-62

xxxxxxxx
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thank you very much.
Now I will be able to tell my opponent, with the result of all his dice, that he is always covered with luck;
while I, on the other hand, will have to look for a place to pray for a little luck