A Coy/Royal Canadian Regiment/1st Canadian Brigade SASL Campaign 10 Jul - 28 Dec 1943

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A Coy/Royal Canadian Regiment HSASL Campaign – Jul to Dec 1943

Introduction

This campaign will follow the 1st Company (Alpha Coy) of the Royal Canadian Regiment – also known as ‘the RCR’ or ‘the Royals’ – (as part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade) in its campaign from Sicily to Ortona, Italy as they push back the German forces on the eastern side of ‘the boot’. It will consist of 14 weekly missions.

Campaign Special Rules
General:
Use 17. Campaign rules, EXC 17.21—.24 are NA.
Unit: A Coy/RCR/1 CIB
Composition: [US# 38/26] Leader x3, 4-5-7 x9, 2-4-7, 1-2-7 x3, LMG x4, 51mm MTR x3, PIAT x3
• On OFFENSE add 1-2-7x1, MMGx1 [US# 40/28]​
• On DEFENSE add 1-2-7x1, HMGx1 [US# 40/28]​
ELR: 4
Board Edge: Varies. See missions.
Miscellaneous:
• Command structure:​
o Company Commander, Capt. R.G. Liddell​
o Capt Dillion​
o Lt M.C.D. Bowman​

The Missions

Mission 1
Mission 2
Mission 3
Mission 4 or Optional Night Version

Rest and Refit

Mission 5
Mission 6
Mission 7
Mission 8
Mission 9
Mission 10
Mission 11

Rest and Refit

Mission 12
Mission 13
Mission 14

References:

Information for this SASL Campaign was derived from the following sources:

http://novembercoy.tripod.com/BattleHonours.htm
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/history/history.htm
http://thercr.ca/main/index.php/regimental-history
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/docs/Italy_e.pdf

The Mission descriptions were quoted from Col. Bernd Horn’s Establishing a Legacy book:
Establishing a Legacy

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re: A Coy/Royal Canadian Regiment/1st Canadian Brigade SASL Campaign 10 Jul - 28 Dec

Cool. I wish I had more time; I would learn SASL for that. Maybe later.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #1

Mission 1: Pachino, Sicily. 10 July 1943

At 0400 on 10 July 1943, the first wave of Regimental landing craft pulled away from their landing ship and proceeded towards the dark shores of Sicily. The Operation was broken down into 3 phases, the first being securing the beaches, the second eliminating the coastal batteries and the third was securing the nearby Pachino airfield. The first two phases went surprisingly well as over a hundred Italian prisoners were secured by the Regiment, along with four artillery pieces, without any major resistance – only sporadic and ineffective return fire greeted the assaulting troops.

At the start of Phase III, C and D companies pushed past A and B Coy’s to secure the southern edge of the airfield, eliminating isolated MG nests and infantry positions. A Coy, once word was received that the southern part of the airfield was secured, began their assault onto the western half of the objective. They quickly came under artillery and machine gun fire, as they moved to assault the barracks from whence most of the MG fire originated from.

Type: Pockets (2)
Mapboard Selection: Map Board Configuration B will be used and Friendly forces will enter from the South edge. The southern most mapboard is rolled on A9 {Hills}. The northern most mapboard is board 14
Weather: EC are Dry with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: A Coy/RCR (ELR 4). FBE South.
ENEMY: Italian (ELR 0). EBE North.

Misc:
1. EN Boobytrap Level is NA​

Despite the enemy superiority in numbers, A Coy forced their way through the enemy wire, destroyed two machine gun strong points and captured 130 prisoners and four 6-inch guns, at the cost of five casualties, including two KIA. By 1400 hours that day the RCR had begun to dig in around the airfield objective, becoming the first allied unit to capture an enemy airfield in Sicily. Within 48 hours allied air sorties would begin from this vital airfield.

pp. 121-123​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #2

Mission 2: Valguernera, Sicily. 18 July 1943

The next seven days after the landings, the RCR were”…eating dust – breathing dust.” as they pursued the fleeing enemy forces across the island. The Commander of the 1st CIB leap-frogged his battalions through a series of objectives, until finally at Valguarera the Royals ran into the Germans, engaging them throughout the slopes and wooded knolls. Communications became a problem as the deep ravines and gullies played havoc with the wireless communications of the Regiment; the forward companies would eventually lose contact with their BHQ and thus be unable to call in supporting artillery fire.

On the morning of the 18th, the Royals found themselves situated on a razor-backed ridge, overlooking the road leading eastward into Valguernera. Between them and their objective (Valguernera) lay a series of small hills and knolls and a troublesome enemy platoon that was holding up the advance. At 1030 hrs, the Battalion CO, L.Col. Crowe, decided to put pressure on the Germans by ordering the attack to go ahead, with A Coy leading (B Coy followed closely behind) down the high feature.

Type: Take the Highway (5)
Mapboard Selection: Two Western-most mapboards are rolled on A9 {Hills}. Eastern-most mapboard is rolled on A9 {Village}.
Weather: EC are Very Dry with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: A Coy/RCR (ELR 4). FBE South.
ENEMY: German (ELR 4). EBE East.
Misc:
1. EN forces are from the 104th Panzer-Grenadier Regiment. EN RE/Activation rolls that produce SS troops are rerolled.
2. Due to the rough terrain and lack of wireless contact, FR RE’s that result in OBA are rerolled.
3. FR forces enter from the South edge of the two Western most boards only, while EN forces treat the Eastern board edge as EBE.​

Marching downhill over 400 yards of level ground, A and B Coys (B Coy would peel off to the right at the base of the hill to expand the Regiments frontage) advanced, supported by covering fire from C and D Coys. Dirt was being kicked up all around them from enemy MG and mortar fire “but most of the enemy withdrew in haste when they saw the haste with which the attack was put in.” Shortly after the Regiment began to dig-in again awaiting a German counterattack. At 2200hrs, the 48th Highlanders sent patrols into Valguernera only to find that the enemy had pulled out further to the East.
pp. 126-127​

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission #2

Oh good, another cmpgn :)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A Coy/Royal Canadian Regiment HSASL Campaign – Jul to Dec 1943

Your welcome :)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #2 AAR

Mission #2 AAR

My bad luck that I had to roll Board 36 for my Westernmost board, but the middle-board high ground should prove beneficial if I can get my MG kill stack and mortars onto the hills. Having a limited range on the 50* Light Mortar's will reduce their effectiveness once I clear the closest S? counters, so I'll have to move them around frequently. The density of the S? counters at the first crossroads (on board 36) and the tight terrain will prove very troublesome, no doubt so as soon as possible I will detach a squad to move to the road-network entry hex and start to gain control hexes while the rest of the western assault group clear that cross roads and cut the road-network in half.

View attachment 48621

Well this mission turned out bad and I lost, primarily because my 458 at the west edge of the map on the road-network PANICed two turns in a row, preventing him from securing the road (otherwise it would have been a 10 - 5 VP win for the Canadians). The Heavy Mortars only arrived on my last turn (Turn 10) so were of no consequence.

The terrain on board 36 definitely hindered the assault as well as it wasn't until the German Turn 2 that I was able to engage them. And then it was slow going as I was stuck in a fruitless MELEE for four rounds (I had close to 2-1 odds for most of it) before the GE withdrew when I rolled a 12 on my attack...even then still took two more rounds to eliminate that GE squad. My Turn 10 finally saw me knock out the stubborn GE defenses at that first road intersection as well and the GE only had a broken 8-1 and a 247HS remaining on his side, however when my 458 at the entrance PANICed I couldn't clear the road.

Losses:

3 x 247 (1 x Fate, 1 x K#, 1 x CC)
6+1 (former 8-0 that was wounded and died post-mission)

Result:

ENEMY Win

View attachment 48620

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #3

DRAFT

Mission 3: Nissoria, Sicily. 24 July 1943

The 19th of July was spent burying the Regimental dead and resting, before continuing the advance that night; the divisional objective was Nissoria/Agira. Agira, lay 5 kilometres beyond Nissoria and the attack was to begin promptly at 1400 hours on the 24th, preceded by artillery, bombers and ground-attack fighters, with the bombardment lifting 200 metres every two minutes However as the Regiment was laid up in the forming up point (FUP) ready to advance there was no sight of the aircraft support promised. Undaunted, the Royals got up and began their assault. The Regimental plan was for C and D Coys to secure Nissoria (thought to be abandoned by enemy forces) and then A and B Coys would launch through them and seize the high ground in order to support a subsequent attack on Agira.

The Regiment only encountered sporadic mortar and sniper fire on the approach to Nissoria, but encountered much heavier attacks as they came out the other side of the town. A Coy broke from cover and passed through C and D Coys and came under punishing mortar bombardments and devastating machinegun fire as they crossed a small ridge east of Nissoria. Adding to the confusion, the wireless communications to Battalion HQ broke down and it soon became difficult for BHQ and the rifle companies to ascertain who was making what progress.

Type: Cautious Advance (1)
Mapboard Selection: All mapboards are rolled directly on A9 {Hills}.
FRIENDLY: A Coy/RCR (ELR 4). FBE West.
ENEMY: German 15th Panzer-Grenadier Division (ELR 4). EBE East.
Misc:
1. EN forces are from a battalion of the 15th Panzer-Grenadier Division. EN RE/Activation rolls that produce SS/Fallschirmjaeger troops are rerolled.
2. Due to the rough terrain and lack of wireless contact, FR RE’s that result in OBA are rerolled.
3. At the beginning of every GE PFPh where this is not an EN FFE on the map, make a DR. If a 31 or 32 is rolled, conduct that RE (Table A11). EXC to RE#31 – 33 on table A11, EN OBA is 80+ Mortar. Number of Artillery Strikes is still rolled for as per RE Table.​

By 1630 hours the Regimental CO moved to the eastern edge of Nissoria to join D Company (supported by the Three Rivers tank Regiment) which was engaging strengthened enemy positions on a small hill just east of the town. Determining the town itself secure but unable to contact the rest of his unit due to faulty wireless communications, L.Col R. M. Crowe moved forward to join his other three rifle companies that were slowly advancing eastward, south of the Leonforte-Agira highway. Unfortunately he was unable to find the rear troops of his lead elements – despite following the trail of RCR dead – and stumbled into a German ambush with his communications team where they were all killed except for Signalman Burton (of the Royal Canadian Corp of Signals) who was presumed wounded and captured.

In the interim A Coy (along with B and C Coys) were making slow progress towards Agira. Unaware of the fate of their CO and unable to reach any higher command via radio, the three forward company commanders decided to hold up and consolidate for the night. The tense night passed and as the sun broke over the horizon the Germans who were in positions overlooking the Regiment continued to bring down fire on the troops. Eventually the remnants of the Regiment pulled back to Nissoria as word of renewed friendly artillery attacks on the enemy positions was finally received via runner from the Acting CO, Maj T. M Powers. The Regiment losses counted 17 dead and 30 wounded, and the Three Rivers Regiment that had supported the Regiment on its attack through Nissoria had lost 10 tanks.
pp. 128-131​

NOTE: It is from this battle and the German prisoners captured that the 1st Canadian Infantry Division gained the appellation "Red Patch Devils", due to their amazement (and consternation) at seeing the Canadians advancing doggedly forward despite the steady and deadly hail of fire thrown at them.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Campaign is in process

I've started this cmpgn. I'll probably open a separate thread for the mission AARs. For now, here's the set up and end of British turn 2 situations:

Set Up:
View attachment 48671

Encountering some resistance on the hill:
View attachment 48672

Fun time!

Allan

oops, forgot to mention this is mission 1.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Campaign is in process

Excellent, good luck! Compared to the firepower a German Rifle Coy can bring (the HMG and having 2 extra hexes of range)...especially when playing against that firepower definitely is a challenge. Currently I'm trialing out #3 and getting my ass kicked. My 9-1, and two of my 458's went berserk and charged across a street...2 x HS made it :(

When you get to Mission 3 BigAl let me know how it goes. Any of the missions that I marked as DRAFT need to be further play-tested (that also goes for the 194th IR HSASL missions BTW, if anyone is playing those) to see if my Misc: rules are 'balanced' or not.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #4

DRAFT

Mission 4: Regalbuto, Sicily. 1 August 1943

The town of Agira finally fell to the PPCLI Regiment on the 26th of July after a divisional artillery shoot softened up the town. The RCR were able to rest and recuperate for the next few days – as the advance continued past them – after 16 days of continuous marching, skirmishing and all-out battle. On 29-30 July, the Malta Brigade attempted to take a long ridge – the Regalbuto Ridge, running off of Mount Santa Lucia – running south of the town of Regalbuto (occupied by the Herman-Goering Division), but the intensity of the German fire and counter-attacks held them up. German positions on the three high mountains that surrounded the town offered excellent cover and allowed for them to bring intensive fire onto any approaches into Regalbuto. Finally on the night of 31 July, the Ridge was taken by the Devonshire Regiment, while the Dorsets took the northern high feature (Mount Serione), this set the stage for an assault into Regalbuto by the 48th Highlanders of the 1st CIB, while the RCR were told to be prepared to assault through and exploit any success.

The RCR moved out on the evening of the 31st from their resting positions some six-miles westward (following a track that ran south of highway 121 and the Regalbuto Ridge) but they did not have an opportunity to conduct a thorough recce on their objective, Tower Hill (the third high feature). Tower Hill had a large ravine that ran in front of it and would have to be bypassed by the RCR in their attack. Lieutenant- Colonel Powers (promoted from Major on 30 July) had D Coy lead and secure the line of departure. Once done, A Coy would push through and commence their assault on Tower Hill, with B and C Coys.

In the early morning hours of 1 August (around 0200) the Regiment launched its attack and A Coy began to make its way down the west side of the ravine – which proved unexpectedly deep and took some time to negotiate. As day was about to break, only A Coy in the lead had managed to make it partially out of the ravine before the Regiment was subjected to flanking fire from dug-in tanks and machine guns in the southern town outskirts. One platoon from A Coy was sent to try and flank the enemy armour while the other two (9 Platoon and one other) assaulted Tower Hill. B and C Coys meanwhile had become pinned down in the ravine and subjected to sniper and harassing fire from German AFV and heavy weapons.

Mapboard Selection: Two boards are used for this mission. No other boards maybe generated. Board 25 is the Easternmost board (number towards South). Board 47 is the Westernmost board (number towards South). Only hexrows ≥ E and ≤ CC are playable. On both boards, all Wood/Orchard hexes are treated as Crag, Grain is considered Scrub (F2.), the stream is dry and Buildings are non-existent.
ENEMY: Herman-Goering Division (ELR 4). EBE East.
Misc:
1. EN forces are from the Herman-Goering Division (reinforced by 3rd Fallschirmjaeger Regiment). EN RE/Activation rolls that produce SS troops are rerolled.
3. There is a +2 LV Hindrance (E 3.1) at game start; this decreases to +1 on Turn 6 and 0 on Turn 10.
4. EXC to VPO Location. On board 25, hex 25P6 (Hill 766) is the only VPO for this mission.
5. EXC to S? Placement/Entry. Place S? as per 4.1, cases c and e on both mapboards. For purposes of case 4.1 e only, Crag is considered Concealment Terrain.
6. EXC to VP Schedule, only the first bullet applies (i.e. the side that possess the lone VPO wins).
7. EXC to MSR:
MSR 1. Any AFV results are changed to an armoured cupola (as per EN RE 02)
MSR 2 is NA.​
8. FR must remove 1/3 (FRD) of full-squad MMC, 1 x SMC, 1 x LMG and 1 x PIAT from OOB. These represent the single platoon sent off to the left flank.
9. For Routing, F.1C is in effect.​

D Coy deployed as the advanced guard to secure the line of departure and predictably the wireless communications proved troublesome as the CO lost contact with them. Assuming the route was clear he dispatched A Coy to follow up. At 0415 hours, A Coy reported they were held up by at least two tanks and several machine gun posts. The single platoon from A Coy, that had been sent to the flank to deal with the German armour, had become cut off and had little success. It spent the day working its way through the western part of Regalbuto and eventually reached the 48th Highlanders and safety. Meanwhile 9 platoon had reached a small tower affair on the high ground above them and secured it. However when they could not be reinforced they fell back in the face of a quick German counter attack. Unfortunately a section from 9 platoon had become isolated and far forward of any support and was captured*.

B and C Coy had also been dispatched at 30-min intervals after A Coy and as day broke the Battalion found itself held up in the gully dominated by the enemy on the ridge. Throughout the day the troops suffered and for 14 hours the Royals endured the searing heat and lack of water as well as the German mortar, tank and machine gun fire. As night approached word was received by the forward companies to withdraw under cover of night. By midnight the Battalion was in a rear assembly area and had their first hot meal in 36 hours.

It would take a concerted attack by the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment the next day to finally clear the Germans off Tower Hill.

pp. 132-135​

* Details on the escape of some of the captured section.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #4 - Optional Night Mission

DRAFT

Mission 4 - Optional Night Mission

This is the same mission as #4 but played at night.

Mapboard Selection: Two boards are used for this mission. No other boards maybe generated. Board 25 is the Easternmost board (number towards South). Board 47 is the Westernmost board (number towards South). Only hexrows ≥ E and ≤ CC are playable. On both boards, all Wood/Orchard hexes are treated as Crag, Grain is considered Scrub (F2.), the stream is dry and Buildings are non-existent.
Weather: EC are Very Dry with No Wind at start. There is a half moon and scattered clouds.
ENEMY: Herman-Goering Division (ELR 4). EBE East.
Misc:
1. EN forces are from the Herman-Goering Division (reinforced by 3rd Fallschirmjaeger Regiment) and considered Elite squad majority. EN RE/Activation rolls that produce SS troops are rerolled.
3. Starting on Turn 7 at the beginning of each RPh, roll a d6. If a 1 is rolled, Night Rules cease
4. Night Rules (S12.8) are in effect. Amendments:
a. 12.8 All Chapter E1 rules are in effect. Decrease AC# by 1.
b. 12.831 Majority Squad Type is Normal for S? Any 548 generated are Fallschirmjaeger and are considered Stealthy.
c. 12.87-12.88 [EXC 12.8731 is in effect] are NA.
5. EXC to VPO Location. On board 25, hex 25P6 (Hill 766) is the only VPO for this mission. For purposes of case 4.1 e only, Crag is considered Concealment Terrain.
6. EXC to S? Placement/Entry. Place S? as per 4.1, cases c and e on both mapboards.
7. EXC to VP Schedule, only the first bullet applies (i.e. the side that possess the lone VPO wins).
8. EXC to MSR:
MSR 1. Any AFV results are changed to an armoured cupola (as per EN RE 02)
MSR 2 is NA.​
9. FR must remove 1/3 (FRD) of full-squad MMC, 1 x SMC, 1 x LMG and 1 x PIAT from OOB. These represent the single platoon sent off to the left flank.​

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission #4 - Optional Night Mission

Very interesting. Can't wait till I get here.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rest and Refit

NOTE

Changed the VP Schedule for Mission 4 to make it more of a king of the hill, because in my one playtest I'm sitting at 16 VP to 1 right now at Turn 7. Anyone else played this mission so far? I'd appreciate feedback.

Rest and Refit

After the Battle of Regalbuto, the role of the 1 CIB was a series of moves and consolidations towards Adrano (without any fighting), before moving to a rest area at Catania to await the next phase of the operation, the Invasion of Italy. The 38-day Sicilian campaign provided the Royals badly needed experience, but would cost the Regiment 32 KIA, close to 100 wounded and 12 taken prisoner.

On 26 August, regimental officers were briefed on Operation Baytown (the invasion of Italy) which was scheduled to start 3 Sept. The invasion for the 1st Canadian Division would occur at Reggio Di Calabria and see 3 CIB secure the beach, while 1 CIB would subsequently enlarge the beachhead by securing several objectives inland, including the village of Galina, an airfield and hill overlooking the airfield. The whole invasion would be preceded by heavy bombardment and close air support. By 1504 hours on 3 Sept, A Coy was loaded onto landing craft and underway.

The invasion was actually a non-event because the Germans had pulled their defenses inland some kilometres (the main force was actually almost 100km away) and the month of September saw the Royals chasing the Germans up 'the boot'.

pp 134-139​

If the Coy is not at full strength, conduct refit steps 17.82-.9 once more before undertaking Mission 5.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission #4 - Optional Night Mission

I haven't played mission 4 yet. Still on mission 1 and will be for the next week at least. Just can't eke out any playing time. I will get here though and I'll let you know how it goes along the way. Looking forward to it.

When I do play mission 4 I was gonna play the night option. Is that what you did?

Al

Edit: missed your message header. Looks like are playing the night version.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Rest and Refit

Ooops...nope I played the normal one (changed the header). Won it easily but activated a Pz IIIL early in the mission right below the VPO which had me rather worried. Thankfully it broke its MA early on and could not repair afterwards.

Going to retry this with the night rules.

I hear you on the time availability...haven't played this myself in a couple of weeks, but going to try and finish it off now.

I also was going to have two pursuit missions over the month of September but historically nothing happened so you'll basically have 2-months with no missions. Mission 5 coming up...another Night one.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #5

DRAFT

Mission 5: Motta, Italy, 2 October 1943

The intervening weeks since the landing saw the Germans retreating up the boot, blowing bridges as they went. Canadians for their part would prepare for imminent combat, only to find that the enemy had pulled back. Finally on 30 September, the vanguard of the 1 CIB reported that the enemy remained in the mountain village of Motta. The next day the vanguard (consisting of the Calgary Tank Regiment, B Coy of the RCR and several other support units proceeded up the winding highway towards the town and at 1600 hours commenced their attack. Unfortunately the narrow steep windy road proved a death trap because of the german 88’s and heavy machine gun fire which caused the attack to falter.

At 1700 hours, the RCR CO issued his orders for another attack which would see C and D Coys through B Coy positions and secure the high ground to the right of the road while A Coy would subsequently prepare to penetrate into the town on order. The attack would begin at dusk.

Type: Block Party (7)
Mapboard Selection: There is no roll on Table A9. Board 60 is used (on a dr ≤ 3 number is placed to the East).
Weather: EC are Wet with Heavy Winds from the southeast at start. It is overcast with no moon and there is Heavy Rain in effect at mission start. NVR is 1 at start.
FRIENDLY: A Coy/RCR (ELR 4). FBE East.
ENEMY: 3 FJR/1st Parachute Division (ELR 4). EBE West.
Misc:
1. EN forces are from 3 Fallschirmjaeger Regiment/1st Parachute Division:
a. When S/HS are generated on Table A1, ignore subsequent roll on Table G2. Rather make a dr for type (1-4 = 548, 5 = 447, 6 = 426).
b. Rolls that generate AFV/GUN are rerolled.​
2. Night Rules (S12.8) are in effect. Amendments:
a. 12.831 Majority Squad Type is Stealthy for S?.
b. 12.87-12.88 [EXC 12.8731 is in effect] are NA.
3. EXC to Mission Tables. AC# is automatically 2.
4. EXC to VP Schedule, ignore 2nd and 3rd bullets.
5. EXC to MSR:
a. MSR 1. There is no +1 DRM to each DR on Table A1.
b. MSR 3 & 4 are NA.
c. MSR 5. Motta is a Devastated City. Perform bombardment prior to S? setup.
d. MSR 6 is NA.​

A Coy probed its way into town and after penetrating 500 metres became heavily engaged by machine gun fire. The CO ordered A Coy to withdraw and called in an artillery barrage that began at 0250, 2 October and lasted 10 minutes. A and B Coys were then ordered to renew their attack at 0300. In the meantime the wind had picked up and torrential rains lashed the troops. B Coy had managed to push through to the town centre as A Coy attempted to flank the German positions but ran into stone walls, wire and scattered enemy fire. The Germans had once more loaded into their vehicles and withdrawn before the advancing troops and A Coy could see their vehicle headlights as they made their way down the hill.

pp. 141-146​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #6

Mission 6: San Marco, Italy, 4 October 1943

The commander of 1 CIB ordered the RCR to conduct an attack on San Marco, which was on the brigade line of advance. The plan of attack would see a two-company advance (C and B Coy) with A and D Coy following. Reminiscent of a World War I attack, it would be preceded by a rolling barrage400m wide with a lift every 5 minutes, 11 lifts in total. At 1400 hours on the 4th, the attack commenced, however due to the lengthy approach march to the line of departure by the reserve companies, the CO had cancelled the fire mission intending to recommence in 30 minutes. Unfortunately the runners were unable to reach the two forward companies because of the dense woods and so B Coy mistakenly began its advance without the protective artillery screen.

Despite this unfortunate incident the assault began well until the lead troops began to ascend the slopes below the village. Here they were met with withering fire which stopped B Coy in its tracks and also pinned down C Coy. The CO ordered the forward companies to form a fire base while A Coy would be sent around to outflank the enemy. They had hardly commenced their manoeuvre when they were engulfed in fire.

Type: Pockets (2)
Mapboard Selection: Map Board Configuration B will be used and Friendly forces will enter from the East edge. Both boards are rolled on A9 {Hills}.
Weather: EC are Moist with a Mild Breeze from the Southeast at start.
ENEMY: 3 FJR/1st Parachute Division (ELR 4). EBE West.

Misc:

1. EN forces are from 3 Fallschirmjaeger Regiment/1st Parachute Division. When S/HS are generated on Table A1, ignore subsequent roll on Table G2. Rather make a dr for type (1-4 = 548, 5 = 447, 6 = 426).​

Under a tremendous barrage and with darkness approaching, the CO realized that the attack had failed. The enemy had fixed lines of fire and could pour a devastating fire into his troops as they attempted to negotiate the difficult ground in the dark. Attempting a deception plan, the CO called for a fire mission directly in front of the forward C Coy and this with the close proximity of the flanking force prompted the enemy to withdraw from the town. RCR patrols quickly followed up and by 0700 on the 5th, San Marco was secured.

pp. 146-148​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #7

Mission 7: Busso, Italy, 19 October 1943

The bloodless occupation of Campobasso by the RCR on the 12th of October was marred in the subsequent days by sporadic yet constant enemy artillery harassing fire. While the RCR settled into the town for a rest period, they conducted aggressive patrolling to clear out enemy pockets and push the enemy artillery out of range. One such sub-unit action was the attack on Busso which held a small German outpost. At 0800 on the morning of the 19th, a rifle company advanced forward to their line of departure and commenced their attack.

Type: Search and Destroy (A)
Mapboard Selection: Eastern board is rolled for on Table A8c. The Western board is rolled on A9 {Village}.
Weather: EC are Moist with No Wind at start.
ENEMY: 29th Panzer-Grenadier Division (ELR 4). EBE West.

Misc:
1. This mission uses one of the (most excellent) Custom Missions from Rick Lubben's website
2. EN forces are from the 29th Panzer-Grenadier Division. Activation rolls that generate SS/Fallschirmjaeger are rerolled.
3. MSR 1 is NA.​

The company advanced forward until they came under fire. Here the company commander deployed a platoon to the left flank to act as a fire base while another was sent to the right as a cut off. Finally the third platoon assaulted the German positions. From his observation point outside Campobasso, the CO noted that it was an almost perfect example of battle drill in action.

The Road to Campobasso and Beyond — October 11 to November 2, 1943

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #8

Mission 8: Castropignano, Italy, 24 October 1943

On the 24th of October, the Regiment was once more tasked with continuing the advance, this time securing two small towns on either side of the only crossing point over the Biferno River, Roccaspromonte and Castropignano. Securing these two towns would let the engineers commence bridging and allow for the 48th Highlanders to attack towards Torella. At 1705 hours, A Coy crossed the river and scrambled up the steep western bank.

Type: Bridgehead (18)
Mapboard Selection: As per Mission Card, except river board is eastern most.
Weather: EC are Moist with No Wind at start.
ENEMY: 29th Panzer-Grenadier Division (ELR 4). EBE West.

Misc:
1. EN forces are from the 29th Panzer-Grenadier Division. Activation rolls that generate SS/Fallschirmjaeger are rerolled.​
EDIT
2. EXC to MSR 3, FR RE that generate reinforcements of any kind must enter on the FBE. They arrive with applicable boating equipment to get them across.​

Roccaspromonte was found to be deserted, but a high feature (Point 761) just beyond it was occupied by German troops and it took some effort to silence the machine guns that were firing on the Royals. However, in Castropignano the Germans eventually ceded the town and continued their fighting withdrawals westward. By 0300 on the 25th both towns were secured and by 1000 hours the Regiment had consolidated inside Castropignano, where they remained for several days.

pp. 152

Last edited: