A 7.9 Cowering + A 9.71 Malfunctions

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A multi-Hex FG cowers. To single out the unit(s) to be marked with a FinalFire counter is RS rolled for each Location seperately(a) or is there one big RS-roll for all units together(b)?

(a) would mostly cripple the unlucky side more [more Final Fire counters] than would (b).

A similar question regarding multi hex FG with more than one SW rolling their B# or X# arises!

Again (a) would mostly lead to more Malfunctions/Breakdowns.

Mike Owens

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CHERDE said:
A multi-Hex FG cowers. To single out the unit(s) to be marked with a FinalFire counter is RS rolled for each Location seperately(a) or is there one big RS-roll for all units together(b)?
(
b) is correct; you roll random selection for each unit. A7.9 last sentence.

SSTK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, but I don't think there is a RS roll for multiple SW malfunction.

IE.... if a german FG fires a LMG and a HMG and the player rolls a 12, both SW are malfunctioned.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

SSTK

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH ...You use random selection to chose the one that malfunctions.(Both if tie dr).

Jimfer-

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
To get it clear for me :

If I have a FG in Location A (2 units), Location B (1 unit) and Location C (1 unit) firing in DFF and roll doubles="cowering",
then I roll four dice in Random Selection to determine the units which get a Final Fire counter !?!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
CHERDE said:
To get it clear for me :

If I have a FG in Location A (2 units), Location B (1 unit) and Location C (1 unit) firing in DFF and roll doubles="cowering",
then I roll four dice in Random Selection to determine the units which get a Final Fire counter !?!
Correct. If there is a multiple unit tie (ie: they all qualify to be marked as FF by the dr's) all tieing units would be marked as Final Fired.

To answer a seperate question: if each unit had a MG, and the doubles were 6,6, you would roll 4 dr to determine which MG was flipped to the malfunction side as well. Multiple MG's can malfunction in the case of more than one MG rolling the same number (ie: if a 6 were rolled for each MG). The roll for MG's would also be separate from the roll for cowering. It would be possible for the same unit to break an MG and cower, although not garunteed.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
SSTK said:
NRBH, but I don't think there is a RS roll for multiple SW malfunction.
...snip...
jimfer had it right, but if you want to know where to look, A9.71

(edit) I'm guess the OP was refering to the fact that the Random Selection rule (A.9) refers to unit is a hex. Perhaps one of the literalists on the board would like to champion the cause that RS should be resolved for each hex individually. AFAIK, people play it as one RS dr for the whole set of eligible units.

Last edited:

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Regarding post#8 from zgrose I admit that I was lured into posting my original question by the wording of A.9.
And because of the mechanics of A 7.301 1st sentence.
But – havig become more wiser by this thread – I agree especially to post#7 of sparafucil.

:)

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just came along A 19.131.

In A 19.131 there also should be also ONE BIG dice roll in Random Selection for all units of a FG in all Locations.