The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi!
May the German 467 declare a Dash in this case ?
It moves in non-OG from British 458, but does it really cross the "Y" road n 10X5 ? :confused:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules say, ". . . and then moves from a non-Open Ground Location on one side of the road directly into the road and then directly into a non-Open Ground Location on the other side of the road. . .." it doesn't say "one side of the road hex" directly to the other side of the "road hex"; I'd argue that you're dashing 'across' the road that you've drawn the red arrow on--the road that connects to W6--so a dash is legal in this case. If the only road art was the circular part, you couldn't dash as you wouldn't be moving form one side of the road [not 'road-hex'] to the other side of the road.

Your move meets all of the criteria of a dash in the RB.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
alanp said:
If the only road art was the circular part, you couldn't dash as you wouldn't be moving from one side of the road [not 'road-hex'] to the other side of the road.
Thank you. That is how I understood it... :)

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
alanp said:
The rules say, ". . . and then moves from a non-Open Ground Location on one side of the road directly into the road and then directly into a non-Open Ground Location on the other side of the road. . .." it doesn't say "one side of the road hex" directly to the other side of the "road hex"; I'd argue that you're dashing 'across' the road that you've drawn the red arrow on--the road that connects to W6--so a dash is legal in this case. If the only road art was the circular part, you couldn't dash as you wouldn't be moving form one side of the road [not 'road-hex'] to the other side of the road.

Your move meets all of the criteria of a dash in the RB.
I'm jumping in here late but I now have a question based on the example given. If the rule states ". . . and then moves from a non-Open Ground Location on one side of the road directly into the road and then directly into a non-Open Ground Location on the other side of the road. . .." how is it that a dash is legal if the squads final hex is open ground? I'm probably just missing something simple here.

Thanks
Jesse

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Open Ground in the context of any firing unit. Just look at the 4.63 EX for an example of a unit Dashing from one "open ground" hex to another "open ground" hex. Since the hedges make the hexes non-Open, the Dash is allowed. The EX also illustrates what happens if a HIP unit makes one of the hexes Open (for instance a HIP British counter in U6).

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
jshultis said:
how is it that a dash is legal if the squads final hex is open ground? I'm probably just missing something simple here.
It is legal because this rule uses a pretty relative definition of Open Ground. It is only Open Ground if a DEFENDER can possible fire with the -1 FFMO DRM. So if all enemy units are out of LOS, or affected by some Hindrance, then this hex is not considered Open Ground. Check A10.531 for this definition of Open Ground.

Moreover, if one enemy unit has unhindered LOS to the hexes in question, the Dash is still legal, but does not receive Dash benefits when fired on by that specific enemy unit. It still receive Dash benefits when fired on by other enemy units though. So if there had been a British unit in U6, the 467 will not receive Dash benefits vs the U6 unit, but will still receive it vs the 458 in T7.

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the clarification and stating the example from the rulebook.

Jesse