A-28/A-29 Lockheed Hudson

Helfrich

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am making a scenarion that involves a squadron of RAAF Hudsons. How do I represent this aircraft in COAW? The closest unit in the equipment editor is the A-27. There is no A-28 or A-29 in the US or UK aircraft types.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Helfrich said:
I am making a scenarion that involves a squadron of RAAF Hudsons. How do I represent this aircraft in COAW? The closest unit in the equipment editor is the A-27. There is no A-28 or A-29 in the US or UK aircraft types.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I forget at the moment whether the Hudson was a transport or recon plane. Either way its function is handled abstractly in TOAW via the event engine. Either via the theater recon level or the force air transport level. TOAW doesn't model discrete recon or transport planes.

Crazy Dutch

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Bob Cross said:
I forget at the moment whether the Hudson was a transport or recon plane. Either way its function is handled abstractly in TOAW via the event engine. Either via the theater recon level or the force air transport level. TOAW doesn't model discrete recon or transport planes.
The Hudson was also a light Bomber.

Helfrich

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hudson

It was a multipurpose aircraft - low-altitude bomber, transport, recon, ASW etc...

In your opinion, do you think using the A-27 is appropriate?

thanks for swift reply.

Crazy Dutch

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Helfrich said:
It was a multipurpose aircraft - low-altitude bomber, transport, recon, ASW etc...

In your opinion, do you think using the A-27 is appropriate?

thanks for swift reply.
The A-27 is a bomber version of the AT-6 Trainer. A one engine plane. Mayby you can beter choose the B-10.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/db/

Use the Military Aircraft Database to compare stats. The A-27 and A-29 have similar performance but the A-29 has more range and is much better armed.

The SBD Dauntless seems a reasonably close comparison, since the A-29's range would probably be curtailed with full bombload etc. If the carrier-borne capability isn't a problem for you (note that you shouldn't be mixing aircraft types in a single unit in any case) then you could go with this.

Alternatively, use the BioEd. It'll only sting a little.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ben Turner said:
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/db/

Use the Military Aircraft Database to compare stats. The A-27 and A-29 have similar performance but the A-29 has more range and is much better armed.

The SBD Dauntless seems a reasonably close comparison, since the A-29's range would probably be curtailed with full bombload etc. If the carrier-borne capability isn't a problem for you (note that you shouldn't be mixing aircraft types in a single unit in any case) then you could go with this.

Alternatively, use the BioEd. It'll only sting a little.
Huuum Ben he spoke of Lockeed hudson, bi engine plane with a defensive turret in rear, a twin fin tail

this one an hudson

on this draw you may seen the turret at rear

Der WanderHudsonWereUsedInFreeFrenchToo

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
a fountain of info.....

I know who I'm asking next time, for anything.

Looks similar in size to the B-26 marauder, check that out maybe.
Mitchell??
Can a substitute be made?

maybe use BIOED and edit the name of one of the closest aircraft types and then save it.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Bdr.Mallette said:
a fountain of info.....

I know who I'm asking next time, for anything.

Looks similar in size to the B-26 marauder, check that out maybe.
Mitchell??
Can a substitute be made?

maybe use BIOED and edit the name of one of the closest aircraft types and then save it.
No would be better with Early A20 Havoc Called Boston, it is 2 rows before A20 in Fixed wings

see here http://www.kwic.com/~pagodavista/Douglas%20A-20.htm
B26 is next generation early A20 are of the same period

The 1st A20 used by RAF (nickname Boston) were the one ordered by French Air force in 1939-1940

Der WanderBostonIsMissing

Last edited:

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Last edited:

Leatherneck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Douglas Boston would be excellent choice and Boston has done well job for FAF/RAF/Other Country Air Force.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Leatherneck said:
Douglas Boston would be excellent choice and Boston has done well job for FAF/RAF/Other Country Air Force.
Yes and a lot were used by French air force in may/june 1940

Der WanderTOAWAssistant

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
jlbetin said:
Yes and a lot were used by French air force in may/june 1940
This is not true at all. You're right the Baltimore was used in limited numbers but not the Boston.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ben Turner said:
This is not true at all. You're right the Baltimore was used in limited numbers but not the Boston.
Ben Could read this please thanks from http://home.att.net/~jbaugher4/a20_23.html

Only 64 DB-7s were in service at the time of the German western offensive. They were immediately rushed from North Africa to France and were committed in a piecemeal fashion in a vain attempt to halt the German advance. The first DB-7 sortie against the Germans was on May 31, 1940, when 12 aircraft attacked enemy columns near St. Quentin. Some seventy sorties were flown against troops and panzer concentrations, supply convoys and depots and road bridges. The French DB-7s did a fairly creditable job against the Germans, but at least eight were lost to ground fire and fighter attacks.

64 is may be not good "for a lot", you may prefer "some"

Der WanderTOAWAssistant

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
jlbetin said:
64 is may be not good "for a lot", you may prefer "some"
My exact words were "used in limited numbers".

Anyway I appear to have gotten confused between a number of aircraft types.

There's the A-22 Maryland which was in service with the French when the invasion actually began. Then there's the A-20 (Boston) which appears to be the DB-7 from your article (why these various countries couldn't agree on a designation will never be known).

THEN there's the A-30 Baltimore which apparently wasn't ordered by the French air force at all. I got confused by your reference to this as the "Glenn Martin" which I think was rather the A-22. Glenn Martin was presumably the full name of the manufacturer Martin, who produced both aircraft.