A 25.23 Human Wave (HW)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
da priest said:
Interesting dig, but if I get you right, the only time I'm "incorrect"(rules wise) is when you have been "flanked".
That's right.

So to paraphase, you are almost always "flanked" when you could use WA, so you don't use as many counters as I do.
Its possible that my dictionaries are lacking, but none of them explained "paraphrase" as "deliberately twist another person's expression" :rolleyes:

No, I am certainly not almost always "flanked" when I could use WA. I did not even mention "flanking" when I wrote why I don't use that many WA counters.

What I did mention was that having WA never gives you better TEM (disregarding vs units sharing the wall/hedge hexside), but often gives you worse TEM, in extreme cases (Mortars/OBA) as bad as 0 TEM vs +5 TEM.

I see that you neglect to answer this, but instead chooses to invent something else to argue against. It may be fun, but not very productive.

So I stand by what I said, when you place WA counters on every squad, then you're of course free to do so, but then you're not playing very smartly with your WA counters.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
WaterRabbit said:
By original rules, I mean the original rules -- the ones that SOF and HH were tested under. And by clarified you mean changed, so no, it is not incorrect.
I thought we discussed how the v.2 rules - and not earlier debriefing -changed WA, but OK.

And by clarified I mean that there was absolutely no consensus about what they meant, so one side saw this as a change and the other as a clearer way of saying what it already said.

This is the part we are in disagreement. Just answering yes was never sufficient to prevent the DEFENDER from claiming WA later on in the turn. Unless backed up with a shot, the in-hex TEM was never ‘claimed’.
I agree that this part was more than debatable until the 96/97 debriefing. Personally, I didn't have much clue until after those :nuts:

The ATTACKER did not have to specify which unit was firing but he did have to commit at least one unit to fix the terrain of the DEFENDER. The reason being is that if the ATTACKER did not fire, then the in-hex TEM was truly never claimed and the defending unit could then still claim WA against a unit that moved adjacent.
I agree that the possibility of later claiming WA was one of the possible interpretations before the 96/97 Annuals. But your statement about being able to switch between a declaration of an attack, and the actual attack - has been incorrect all along.

I learned the WA rules the hard way from about ten guys that did play test SoF and HH. :surprise: For argument’s sake, let’s say that they were incorrect in their interpretation. In effect their interpretation was correct from my perspective because every opponent I have played since that time (and prior to ’96) played it the same way. So if it was misinterpreted, it was uniformly misinterpreted. So from my perspective, it is more likely that you have misunderstood the rule. ;)
I certainly misunderstood the rule. Some of the unofficial Q&A on the subject, are from me (from 94 or so), and I did not get the answers I expected.

And I neither expected what you argue that the original rule said, nor what they said after the 96/97 debriefing. :nuts:

All this shows is that one interpretation won out over the other (and only because one faction had control of the rules). If the other faction had control over the rules…well it is interesting to note the changes introduced in '96 & '97 (and of course continued in RBv2) were not during either Don's or Bob's watch.
I agree with (most of) this. I know for sure that if Tate Rogers had control, the rules would say something else now ;) .

I was not involved in the 96/97 debriefing, so I cannot say anything about what was behind those, but since there are no Q&A (official or not) from Don's or Bob's time about this, we can only speculate about what their intention was (unless you have some inside info).

You are correct. The changes introduced in the '96 & '97 annuals are not much different than RBv2. But they are different than how the v1 rules were played and more importantly how SOF and HH were tested.
I cannot speak of the SOF/HH testing, but I remember enough from the ASLML around 93-98 to remember that very many already played as per those debriefings.

To me the changes in WA take the ambiguity out of the WA but don’t preserve the FoW elements in the original.
I happen to prefer the way the 96/97 annuals decided it, as it to me is a good simulation of surpressing fire. If the defender is afraid of enemy surpressing fire, he will choose in-hex TEM, but at the cost of giving the enemy more freedom of movement.

I also think the original rules (interpreted your way) was terrible, since a unit without a WA counter could mean:
a) That the opponent had not yet asked whether in-hex TEM or WA would be chosen.
b) That the unit had chosen in-hex TEM, but could later claim WA.
c) That the unit had forfeited WA, and could not later claim WA.

Last edited:

da priest

Reaction score
Ole Boe
I only mean that since the tactical situation calls for forfeiting WA in many situations, there isn't need for that many WA counters - at least not when you play it correctly.
Well, I got this from a simple request for more WA markers. And the responses took many twists and turns in an effort to deny the "need". But, I still think I need more WA markers, especially in large Bocage scenarios.:rolleyes:

But then guess I'm not playing it "correctly". Seems to be very few people playing the Game "correctly", since I've seen that reply in that form to many posts concerning the "new" rules.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now I am all confused on when I should put WA counters on... :nuts:

As a 4-months newbie, I just put them on all the time to deny my opponent the chance of gaining WA unless I am in a TEM that gives me more advantages. I still have a lot to learn mind you but what can you do...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Seems to be very few people playing the Game "correctly", since I've seen that reply in that form to many posts concerning the "new" rules.
All the more reason to get rid of the concept of wall advantage altogether. A complicated rule adding no realism should be removed/simplified.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
da priest said:
Ole Boe
Well, I got this from a simple request for more WA markers. And the responses took many twists and turns in an effort to deny the "need". But, I still think I need more WA markers, especially in large Bocage scenarios.:rolleyes:
Well, then its good for you that AoO will have more WA counters.

But then guess I'm not playing it "correctly".
You are not playing correctly if you really mean that your having WA counters on units in a hex not having any wall/hedge hexsides. But if you (only) always place WA counters on all units eligible for WA, then you're playing correctly, but makes your units a lot more vulnerable than they need to, in many cases. Still "correctly" (whatever you mean by that) though.

Seems to be very few people playing the Game "correctly", since I've seen that reply in that form to many posts concerning the "new" rules.
You have? Where? I'm aware of numerous debates about how the v.1 rules were supposed to be played, but I don't know about any rule problems with the v.2 rules.

...although I agree with Brian W that the WA concept is a tad too complicated.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
JGilbert said:
As a 4-months newbie, I just put them on all the time to deny my opponent the chance of gaining WA unless I am in a TEM that gives me more advantages. I still have a lot to learn mind you but what can you do...
That sounds about correct.

1) If you have no in-hex TEM, you may place the WA, but you don't need to (until an enemy comes adjacent) since you automatically have WA anyway (9.323 MANDATORY WA).

2) If your in-hex TEM is <= the wall TEM and all enemy fire will cross the wall, then you should claim WA, since you're not more vulnerable by it.

3) If its your player turn, or you are sure that the enemy will not enter adjacent this turn, there is no reason to claim WA.

4) The interesting situation is when claiming WA makes you more vulnerable, but you still would like to deny any moving enemy units WA. You must either make yourself more vulnerable to Prep Fire, or allow any moving enemy to claim the WA. This is a tactical choise with no general answer.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Josh--if you've got J3, check out p.71 for the 'quick and dirty summary'--esp. for when you may claim WA.

and to back up Ron's assertion that he needs more WA counter: check out p.70: Ian Daglish mentions 2-3 times the need to make the WA counters more accessible/more numerous. . .

this article isn't a part of the rule-book but it does clarify the intention of the rules and explain some concepts.

Where's the Human-Wave article? SMOKE, 'motion/moving/stopped vehicle', cavalry, air support/AA have all been subjects; let's see a HW article here or in something 'official'!

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
alanp said:
Where's the Human-Wave article? SMOKE, 'motion/moving/stopped vehicle', cavalry, air support/AA have all been subjects; let's see a HW article here or in something 'official'!
Well, I have mentioned writing an Impulse Movement article for Perry, and he thought it was a good idea.

I just have to finish writing the actual rules first. :nervous:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ole Boe said:
Well, I have mentioned writing an Impulse Movement article for Perry, and he thought it was a good idea.

I just have to finish writing the actual rules first. :nervous:
Next I suppose you'll claim you have a life outside ASL!

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
thx @ all for helping me with HW
An article from Ole about HW would be very nice.
Regarding WA all of you gave more insights – I will claim WA in the future not as often I did in the past.

I will give a sign to this thread in a new thread under "B 9.21 Wall Advantage"

- at least for the sake of good order (tidiness) and to help other people finding this thread.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
alanp said:
Next I suppose you'll claim you have a life outside ASL!
Yes, I'm actually married and with two beautiful girls (4, and soon 1 years). If I played ASL half as much as I work on rules (including discussing them here) - I would've been a much better player.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Ole, I knew I could trust you to explain WA to me in newbie terms, easy to remember for future games :D