A 12.14

CDT LUPPO

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
hi all,

how do you play this rule from A 12.14 :

A 12.14 [...]"if the only Good Order enemy ground unit in LOS is itself concealed when a concealed friendly unit makes a concealment-loss action (.../...), that enemy unit must completely forfeit its "?" momentarily (to prove that it is not a Dummy) if it opts to force the friendly unit to lose his; the viewing unit's momentarily forfeiture of concealment is instantly regained"

1- how do you play this rule in a tournament ?

2- how do you play this rule in a friendly game ?

3- how do you play this rule when there is no dummy in play ?

4- do you think this is a sleaze ? (a bad one)

this favors very much the attack side, and put the value of concealment at the same level than a handfull of peanuts ! : )
still good to x1/2 the FP of ennemy squad but nothing more.

any ideas on some efficient countermeasures to that rule for the defender ???!!! : )
you know, something like : high SAN = 6 hs in the open around my 10-2 in da house : )

thanks for any input !!!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would play the rule the same in all four cases. I always play exactly by what the rules say all the time (as much as I can without making errors, which are usually unavoidable though. I've never once used a 'house rule' in 20 something years, unless it was a situation which couldn't be determined from the rules -- which very rarely occur in my experience -- maybe a handfull of times in my lifetime).

I don't think this rule is as bad as you think .. it's only saying that a concealed unit must be 'real' in order to force concealment loss (and even then the defender can choose not to reveal a unit [i.e. in the case of a dummy stack] in order not to 'temporarily' reveal a unit) on an applicable enemy concealment-loss activity/situation; what's so 'sleazy' about that? ... The defender doesn't actually *have* to reveal a unit (it's his option), but then of course the attacker wouldn't lose concealment for that concealment loss activity.

Last edited:

CDT LUPPO

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
hi richard !

ok, sure...i agree with you ...

but what's your answer if there is no dummy in play ?

"it's only saying that a concealed unit must be 'real' in order to force concealment loss"
if there is no dummy in play : all the units on the board are "real".
the sleaze is to do some recon to "see" what unit is under that ? : if you show nothing i keep my ? and its advantages even doing conceal loss activity in the los of GO ennemy unit...
and each player know there is no dummy at start in the scenario.

i can do a parralel : it's the same situation when a gun make less than 5 on the colored : it keep his ? but the other side know that it is a gun...

( i take care of that particular 7-0...and thanks for the page protector : )

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, you are the man I sold BV & the ASLRB to that time a year or two ago .. you remember me, that's awesome!! Usually people forget:cry:. Take care of my 7-0, he usually becomes expendable/dies in my own games:cry:.

True if there are no dummies then the defender still needs to reveal a 'real' unit, even if everyone knows there are no dummies (because no extra concealment counters were given in the scenario card), *if* the defender really wants to force un-concealment on the attacking unit anyway (sometimes it might not be necessary to un-conceal the attackers because they will just become un-concealed later on, or in another turn .. just depends on the situation). Right, it is the same thing with the gun, but of course the attacker won't know exactly what *type* of Gun, unless there is only one in the scenario card. And remember, a Gun can keep firing & potentially retain concealment indefinitely--a great advantage to the defender.

From a design perspective there is really no easy way to do concealment, without having a third party *neutral* person (which would bog down the game very much IMO). It's been my experience, more often than not, that the attacker uses HS 'scouts' to move into concealed defender stacks in order to reveal them, or by using the 'search' rules A12.152.

This is usually what I do when I'm attacking vs many concealed defenders: run a couple of HS scouts adjacent to more than one defending concealed unit (optimally two or more) then 'search,' becoming TI, but usually revealing all concealed adjacent units. Other attackers were designated as Opportunity Firers in the PFPh, and these are the attacker's primary shooters in the Advancing fire phase. There is no way the defender can defend against this, without shooting the HS scouts, and thus revealing his own concealed defenders (which is ultimately what the attacker was trying to do to begin with).

If the attacker *really* wants to reveal concealed defenders, there is not much the defender can do about it. The only question is, how many *HS scouts* is the attacker willing to risk? As the defender, the best strategy in this case is to use a well placed MG firelane, so that potentially only one defending unit looses concealment & kills/breaks many HS scouts that try to reveal any other concealed defenders.

Vehicles are a completely different thing. In this case the Attacker can end a vehicle in motion bypass of concealed defenders in order to automatically reveal them, as opposed to ending IN the location (not bypass) which only reveals concealed defenders if they don't pass their PAATC (or a 7 for dummy units).

Consider also, putting one 'cheapo' defending unit (like a conscript HS, or 6+1 leader) in a location that has wide LOS (such as in a second level location, or on the top of a hill), thus this one 'cheapo' unit can potentially reveal many concealed attacking units. Concealment goes both ways too, it favors attacker & defenders equally IMO, but especially certain nationalities in certain situations, such as the Japanese/Gurkha in the Jungle.

I was recently playing scenario J9 as the Gurkha (Gurkha vs Japanese with Tanks) and my opponent tried to move a Tank into my defending hex & un-conceal my defenders, my defenders passed their PAATC so they didn't become revealed. He wasn't able to move a HS scout into my hex in the movement phase, but was able to move ADJACENT (I chose not to fire & not to *temporarily* reveal my squad/leader: I had no dummy concealments but I had two different squad *types* 458 & 648 as well as deployed HSs, I didn't want him to know which *type* I had, so I chose not to reveal my units & allowed him to keep his concealment). He decided to take a chance (risk) & advanced on my squad & Leader in CC with 3X447 in a Jungle road hex, and the ambush mods for him were: -2 concealed, +2 vehicle, -1 stealthy, +1 advancing in jungle (G.6) for a net of 0 drm. My mods were: -2 concealed, -1 leader (I had a 648 & -1 Leader), -1 stealthy (Gurkhas) for a net of -4. I was able to ambush him & attacked with HtoH CC since I was Gurkha, needless to say I killed all his Infantry with a 1:2 -3 DRM CC attack (-1 HtoH Gurkha, -1 leader, -1 ambush) .. I only needed a 9 or less. And since I killed my opponent with the DR I was able to withdraw & keep concealment (since I ambushed him).

So, to make a long story short, sometimes it is wise to keep concealment as a defender and not even *temporarily* loose it. It probably would have made a big difference to my Japanese opponent if he *knew* I had a 648 squad instead of a 458 or a 248 HS, or a -1 Leader instead of possibly a LMG ..

Just depends on the situation. Concealment helps both sides, especially at night. Night scenarios are great for learning concealment & HIP rules, I definitely recommend trying one if you haven't already, you'd like them immensely.

Guess I've rambled too much here.
Take care & have fun,
rk

Last edited:

CDT LUPPO

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
hi Richard !

ok, many thanks for this nice overview on tactics & concealment.

like you, i often try to keep my units under their ? : it may be important to not reveal the exact type of squad : ))

and i good ASL player in the attack is going to try to keep his troops under ? if he can... that's the mark of good players : even if you move & attack : do it under ? if there is a way...

the "cheapo" & expandable unit is a good advice : thak you !

it is always very funny to see your opponent going crazy because he can't find that AT gun in a normal / usual place and seeing him firing like a mad to find it...
because i place the gun in a relative weird place : usefull but only for the second part of the scen...
the net effect is that the attacker is much slow in his progression.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
besides all the advice Richard gave you, remember that you're learning something about the opponent's concealed unit, too: they're doing something which would strip '?' if done in LOS of KEU--what is that action? rallying, firing etc. all give you information about what is in the '?' stack. After learning as much as possible--based on the potentially '?'-stripping action--you then decide whether it's worth it or not to momentarily reveal your own unit. And even if you do decide to momentarily strip your own '?', the end result is he has an un-'?'d unit and yours is still '?'. He cannot grow this '?' back since concealed enemy units prohibit '?'-growth.

andy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just to be sure...When you momentarily reveal, you must show the full unit and any SW currently possessed. I don't mind momentarily revealing my defenders. I stay concealed, good for ambush, and can assault move/advance/skulk guys in and out to confuse the attacker. Then he's playing the shell game.

The bum rush? What's under stack #1, ohhhh, concealed HMG w/9-2 and 467... Gee that wasn't there last turn...

1)Dead HS scout/ROF
2)Dead HS scout/ROF
3)Dead Opp Firers (they must be revealed when declaring Opp fire)

Ka-Spank! (tm)

What's under stack #2, dummies and a set DC?
1) Remove 5 dummies
2) 36-3, rubbled, 3KIA (I guess they couldn't find that DC. Guess they didn't think I'd use it on my own kill stack.)
3)What's that? Falling rubble adj + chain reaction...SW destruction, "No soup for You, Ivan!" Thus a factory/multi-hex building becomes a vast Russian filled rubble cemetary. :devil:

Mega-Spank! (tm) Love this game. :laugh:

Last edited: