#95 Sainte-Mère-Église

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"America's Got ASL Talent!" Brilliant. Have your people call my people and we'll set up an elevator pitch for the suits.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Suggestion for a future show - have the hosts play a scenario and comment on the log file [like here] then have two top players do the same - could even have two relative newbies do the same. It would provide insight into how the game changes at different levels of expertise. Not maligning the IR hosts as they are certainly competent players but do not pretend to be experts.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Suggestion for a future show - have the hosts play a scenario and comment on the log file [like here] then have two top players do the same - could even have two relative newbies do the same. It would provide insight into how the game changes at different levels of expertise. Not maligning the IR hosts as they are certainly competent players but do not pretend to be experts.
That's a great idea, and it works on all levels. Any players could play, but yes - definitely expert level players (which we aren't) will definitely see and play things differently. Toby doesn't do VASL, but if there are decent level players playing we could happily discuss what we're playing next and showcase their games, too.

In fact, after the SME campaign, we're going to play Storming Lommel from the DTF pack. Any takers (at any level) are welcome to have a go at it. You have a few weeks, so no rush..

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
That's a great idea, and it works on all levels. Any players could play, but yes - definitely expert level players (which we aren't) will definitely see and play things differently. Toby doesn't do VASL, but if there are decent level players playing we could happily discuss what we're playing next and showcase their games, too.

In fact, after the SME campaign, we're going to play Storming Lommel from the DTF pack. Any takers (at any level) are welcome to have a go at it. You have a few weeks, so no rush..
A snag is the natural modesty of many expert ASLers might cause them to recuse themselves....

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
If Toby does not play on VASSAL could he provide commentary on a logfile?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Intrigued to hear what you think about this. It's a great book, but interested to hear what the "outsiders" think.
Bryson's definitely got the dry British humour down. (Very much like Tom Holt, who also writes as KJ Parker, one of my favorite SF authors.) Nowadays it's a bit hard to fathom traveling by public transport without internet guidance, but hey - he wasn't trying to be efficient, he was journeying across the country to see things he hadn't seen before and to revisit favorite things he had. One does wonder if it really does rain as much as he reports, and if so, why the hell do you people live there? Gawd.

Definitely appreciated his points about how much history is all around there. I sympathize with his Old Man's Griping about how modern-day urban/sub-urban growth is ugly, unplanned, and often fails to create anything you're proud to say you live around, but nobody wants to hear it, really. And in a country that's so chock-full of history where you can't sink a shovel without hitting something vital from the 9th through the 18th centuries, whaddaya gonna do? Turn the whole country into a an Olde England Theme Park? I think hedgerows are cool to look at, too, but I'm not gonna tell the farmers they can't plow 'em up. Sorry.

Bryson's got plenty of observations about Brits of all stripes, and they felt honest and fair enough, not intended to be mean-spirited. Don't know how they come off when you're on the receiving end of it, though. Certainly his love and appreciation for the people and the country seem to have shined through. I'd be interested in reading his equivalent story about America and Americans, but on the other hand, if it's more than 10 years old, I think I'd call it out of date by now - we seem to have gotten much nastier (to each other and to the world) in the last decade, and I'm not sure there's a lot of Goodness left to be found out there. Apart from across an ASL gaming table, of course :)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re logging games into SA, is there any way to do an file upload of results? I have been tracking my results both in ROAR and an Excel spreadsheet since I started in 2002. The effort involved to manually enter that many games has caused me to PIN.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re logging games into SA, is there any way to do an file upload of results?
Clever man. It never occurred to me to ask that question; I assumed the answer would be "no", but maybe if Dave sees a need...

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re logging games into SA, is there any way to do an file upload of results? I have been tracking my results both in ROAR and an Excel spreadsheet since I started in 2002. The effort involved to manually enter that many games has caused me to PIN.
Hmm - it's tricky to match scenario names to scenario numbers and be confident it's the right scenario. I can take a look and see, but ideally if you had the scenario ids on each row (which I know you won't have without a trawling through the archive) I could import them as a bulk upload.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do have the official scenario ID as well as the verbatim scenario title as separate fields in each data record. I would imagine most folks tracking their own results would have one or, more likely, both. Additional fields I have are:

• Side I played (attacker / defender)
  • Nationality I played
  • Opponent (last name)
  • Side opponent played (attacker / defender)
  • Nationality opponent played
  • My result (W/L)
  • Play time
  • Date played (actually date completed since I mostly play VASL over multiple sessions)
I know... I have too much time on my hands. Cheers!

Last edited:

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish I had done this when I started. Oh well, now I can typically get to turn 3 or 4 before I remember having played one before.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I do have the official scenario ID as well as the verbatim scenario title as separate fields in each data record. I would imagine most folks tracking their own results would have one or, more likely, both. Additional fields I have are:

• Side I played (attacker / defender)
  • Nationality I played
  • Opponent (last name)
  • Side opponent played (attacker / defender)
  • Nationality opponent played
  • My result (W/L)
  • Play time
  • Date played (actually date completed since I mostly play VASL over multiple sessions)
I know... I have too much time on my hands. Cheers!
This is very similar to my game log. The scenario number, however, could pose problems. For sorting, I record J1 as J001, AP10 as AP010 and so on. If there are less than ten scenarios (Hatten?), I don’t do that.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is very similar to my game log. The scenario number, however, could pose problems. For sorting, I record J1 as J001, AP10 as AP010 and so on. If there are less than ten scenarios (Hatten?), I don’t do that.
As long as the scenario ID format requirement is clear/available I could easily add, say the zeroes, before submitting the file. That is far less data entry than manually entering all of the information.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I decided it wasn’t worth the effort to add my older games to the Archive. If it became an easy thing to do, I would probably add them.