#94 Signal Hill

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Martin / Dave,

One thing that I think you missed was the potential to do an IED with the demo charge as it is 1945 - G1.6121

In order to win scenarios like this the Japanese has to be sneaky and use all the tricks that they can. Craig did a great article in VFTT on that subject.

One other thing - the scenario card that I have says all buildings are wooden and single story. Steve said it was tough to get Japanese out of stone buildings? You can transform the VASL maps to reflect that - but maybe not the DASL maps?

Many thanks for another fun episode gents 👍

Hopefully see you both in Blackpool.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Martin / Dave,

One thing that I think you missed was the potential to do an IED with the demo charge as it is 1945 - G1.6121

In order to win scenarios like this the Japanese has to be sneaky and use all the tricks that they can. Craig did a great article in VFTT on that subject.

One other thing - the scenario card that I have says all buildings are wooden and single story. Steve said it was tough to get Japanese out of stone buildings? You can transform the VASL maps to reflect that - but maybe not the DASL maps?

Many thanks for another fun episode gents 👍

Hopefully see you both in Blackpool.
The problem with the IED suggestion is that it is easily circumvented by a rules savvy opponent. All that he has to do is declare that he is not using the road to enter the hex and the device doesn’t explode. This is confirmed by the following Q&A.

“A4.132, A6.12, B3.43 & G1.6121
Under B3 generally and in the absence of "road negating terrain" (B3.43), can a unit state that it is not using the road to avoid LOS under A4.132 (hexside LOS) per A6.12 (atypical LOS generally)? Does it make a difference if the unit is infantry versus vehicular? If a player has placed a hidden set DC in a road, can the opposing player simply avoid the possibility of being subject to the effects of a potential A-T Set DC simply by declaring that he is not "using the road" while entering a hex?

A. Yes. No. Yes.”

Effectively, this makes the set AT DC all but useless.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well the possibility of the AT Set DC might convince your opponent to never try to use the road movement rate.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well the possibility of the AT Set DC might convince your opponent to never try to use the road movement rate.
On a Deluxe board, that isn't very likely. The exits aren't far away, so why risk it?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That Lukkari-Grogan game looked like a nail-biter. How'd that flame tank survive?

I think I'm all DASL'd-out for next year, though :)

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That Lukkari-Grogan game looked like a nail-biter. How'd that flame tank survive?

I think I'm all DASL'd-out for next year, though :)
Finnish Tuomo flame tanks are evidently luckier than the Rock Bottom Tuomo variety.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finnish Tuomo flame tanks are evidently luckier than the Rock Bottom Tuomo variety.
Oh, I dunno - ask Dave how lucky mine was :)

That's why I had my tanks stay off the road - worried about the buried bomb mentioned upthread. Somehow, with all the Australian FTs, the difficulty in triple-breaking Japanese just didn't feel all that great.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was thinking of our game in round one when your FT Carrier broke its weapon at the first attempt!