80 years ago today

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
• Former Norwegian Defense Minister and head of the Nasjonal Samling Vidkun Quisling meets with Erich Raeder in Germany. He is seeking German assistance with a right-wing coup d’etat to overthrow the Labour government of Johan Nygaardsvold. In return, a fascist Norway would allow the Kriegsmarine free use of Norwegian ports while the country would remain neutral for as long as possible before entering the war as a German ally. Quisling will have an audience with Hitler in a few days.

Asking a foreign dictatorship to help against national political opponents caused Quisling to lose most popular support among Norweigens.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
* Former Norwegian Defense Minister Vidkun Quisling meets with Hitler in Germany, seeking German assistance for a right-wing coup d’etat to overthrow the Labour government of Johan Nygaardsvold. In return, a fascist Norway would allow the Kriegsmarine free use of Norwegian ports while the country would remain neutral for as long as possible before entering the war as a German ally. Hitler considers Quisling’s prospects for a successful coup to be too optimistic as Liberal and Labour voters outnumber Conservatives by more than two to one, and the army is loyal to King Haakon VII who famously spurned a suggestion to act against the Labour dominated government in 1928 saying, “I am also the King of our communists.” Hitler promises to respond if the Allies invade Norway, and approves funding to support the Nasjonal Samling Party.

I may have to soften my anti-monarchy stance. What a smart guy Haakon was.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
* Former Norwegian Defense Minister Vidkun Quisling meets with Hitler in Germany, seeking German assistance for a right-wing coup d’etat to overthrow the Labour government of Johan Nygaardsvold. In return, a fascist Norway would allow the Kriegsmarine free use of Norwegian ports while the country would remain neutral for as long as possible before entering the war as a German ally. Hitler considers Quisling’s prospects for a successful coup to be too optimistic as Liberal and Labour voters outnumber Conservatives by more than two to one, and the army is loyal to King Haakon VII who famously spurned a suggestion to act against the Labour dominated government in 1928 saying, “I am also the King of our communists.” Hitler promises to respond if the Allies invade Norway, and approves funding to support the Nasjonal Samling Party.

I may have to soften my anti-monarchy stance. What a smart guy Haakon was.
Unfortunately, for every Haakon, there is an Edward the VIII.