#78 Acts of Defiance

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I’ve played a few scenarios where a double red card artillery draw drastically altered the scenario in what I felt was a unfair way. Therefore, I always extend the option for the Pleva system to my opponent.
Concerning the IIFT, certain nationalities are more vulnerable to effects. Like the Japanese for instance against 3 FP Chinese squads. Its because a ‘Pin’ is worse than a ‘break’ often times for the Japanese.

Thanks for the show, ‘Acts’ is one of my favorite scenarios.

Thought for a IIFT alternative: if the FP is not on the chart make a proportionate dr to see which FP table it ‘rounds’ to. For instance: a ‘7’ FP attack would have a 50% chance to round up to the ‘8’ table, a 1/2 FP attack would have a 50% chance to round up to the ‘1’ table, a ‘11’ FP attack would have a 75% chance to round up to the ‘12’ table... kinda confident this is a ‘smoother’ curve than the IIFT.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gents,

Another thoroughly enjoyable episode. I'm with bendizoid on the Pleva rule...in fact,
I'll offer it if my opponent has OBA. In addition, I think hidden Radios should be the default.

I'm a bit surprised, given how much great press Acts has received, that I've never played it.
One of the many things I like about IR is that I often get a hankering to play a scenario since
you gents have played it...maybe not "To Ashes." :)

I hope you both have a great time at Blackpool. I hear that Mayers and Staniforth run an
excellent tournament. I hope to make it there very soon!

I have said to one player, who insisted on the IIFT, "no, I don't want it." His passive-aggressive
behaviour "it doesn't make a difference, why don't you want it..." was getting to me. So I said,
"OK, I'll use the IIFT, you use the IFT." He claimed that it would be unfair. I pointed out that he
had just said there was no difference. He grumbled, "Have it your way, we'll play the IFT." Beat
him soundly. Later, I heard him say he simply got diced (partly true), and that if we used the IIFT
it would have been a different story (possibly, but I have my doubts).

I guess he didn't read/care that the tournament rules said "IFT unless both players agree." As such,
"my way" was to follow the rules.

To be fair, in all of the games I've played (tournament or otherwise), I've only had two bad experiences:
this was one.

indy

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I’ve played a few scenarios where a double red card artillery draw drastically altered the scenario in what I felt was a unfair way. Therefore, I always extend the option for the Pleva system to my opponent.
Concerning the IIFT, certain nationalities are more vulnerable to effects. Like the Japanese for instance against 3 FP Chinese squads. Its because a ‘Pin’ is worse than a ‘break’ often times for the Japanese.

Thanks for the show, ‘Acts’ is one of my favorite scenarios.

Thought for a IIFT alternative: if the FP is not on the chart make a proportionate dr to see which FP table it ‘rounds’ to. For instance: a ‘7’ FP attack would have a 50% chance to round up to the ‘8’ table, a 1/2 FP attack would have a 50% chance to round up to the ‘1’ table, a ‘11’ FP attack would have a 75% chance to round up to the ‘12’ table... kinda confident this is a ‘smoother’ curve than the IIFT.
That's interesting about the firepower. An extra dr but would be much more palatable to the IFT affectionados. Nice.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It most definitely is smoother, and has already been done.

[Setting aside my own opinion that ASL "missing" FP columns are meaningless according to historical WWII human behavioral science studies conducted in the US],

I did years ago publish a method of mine for resolving off-column IFT attacks utilizing
the normal 2 d6 and a d12
whereby the d12 result would possibly steer you to the next IFT column if there was any surplus FP in the shot.

[The method never caught on, but is certainly sound.]

In the graphic below, pink lines are IFT "on column" fire powers -- for those attacks, just use the IFT.
White lines are IFT "off column" fire powers found only on the IIFT (and then some -- i.e., the "new" columns).

So, for the "smaller chart, but more dice" crowd, here is a guide to IFT interpolation from 1/2 to 36+ FP using a d12
(if you are an adamant Official Variant IIFT "purist," you may ignore the "new" FP "columns" [but, really, who would?]).

Using this D12 method, IFT results are a lot smoother (numerically) than they are with the IIFT.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

[Setting aside my own opinion that ASL "missing" FP columns are meaningless according to historical WWII human behavioral science studies conducted in the US],
An excellent post. The link is even better, imho., especially when you consider that, aside from KIA/K results, the IFT models the psychological effects of combat. The notes at the end of Chapter A say that FP is doubled for PBF because grenades are factored in. They fail to mention that the sound is also factored in (otherwise why would an MG be doubled?). John Hill specifically said this in an interview I read...sure, he was talking about SL, but I think the idea carries over.

Thanks for the link!
indy

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I did years ago publish a method of mine for resolving off-column IFT attacks utilizing
whereby the d12 result would possibly steer you to the next IFT column if there was any surplus FP in the shot.

In the graphic below, pink lines are IFT "on column" fire powers -- for those attacks, just use the IFT.
White lines are IFT "off column" fire powers found only on the IIFT (and then some -- i.e., the "new" columns).

So, for the "smaller chart, but more dice" crowd, here is a guide to IFT interpolation from 1/2 to 36+ FP using a d12
(if you are an adamant Official Variant IIFT "purist," you may ignore the "new" FP "columns" [but, really, who would?]).

Using this D12 method, IFT results are a lot smoother (numerically) than they are with the IIFT.
View attachment 23213
This would be a great mini-variant at ASLOK, similar to the Gor-Gor Variants Rules mini.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
The Non Historical Scenario discussion thread mentioned by Rob has been moved to the Scenario Archive sub-forum for quick reference.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great content as always guys, have fun in Blackpool - I'll get there one day !
Re the IIFT - I've used it since it was first published, always seemed a natural progression, but was surprised at how little it affected your game v the IFT.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mmmmm - I did not see either of you walking into the hotel with jogging gear on :unsure:

Hope that your son is on the road to recovery from his pneumonia Martin.

Many thanks for more content 👍

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
so You'd be better off in the long run NEVER to have perfect IFT columns any longer and just go with the odds to raise it up.

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll

View attachment 23213
Fascinating.

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mmmmm - I did not see either of you walking into the hotel with jogging gear on :unsure:

Hope that your son is on the road to recovery from his pneumonia Martin.

Many thanks for more content 👍
We could have done better, Joe, but to be fair - I did go for a run on the first day. Dave forget his kit - obviously! LOL

My son is better now. Thanks for asking. We just had to put up with him for a week coughing round the house. Gone back to uni now.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We could have done better, Joe, but to be fair - I did go for a run on the first day. Dave forget his kit - obviously! LOL

My son is better now. Thanks for asking. We just had to put up with him for a week coughing round the house. Gone back to uni now.
[/QUOTE ] Good to hear!🤗