#77 Second Crack at Caumont

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
And then - the tale of three Shermans that lost me the game...

#1 is bogged one in the right.. The JgPzIV moves behind, I score a hit and get possible shock result- he takes the TC - then I intensive fire and roll boxcars, next MPh he tries to unbog to drive off but is killed by the JgPz.

#2, moves behind the Bocage at the left flank at 7 hexes from the side PzIV, which fires as Final fire. Has to turn the turret one pip. Needs a 4 and a turret hit as there are couple of hindrances in between, gets that hit and a kill. Many people would have turned the whole thank instead to face the Sherman 75mm gun with better hull frontal armor and that shot would have missed.

#3 in the middle. During German prep fire Mike fires my 666 which passes an MC with SAN - the Sniper is "2" and it stuns my remaining Sherman - the Pz IV which killed Sherman #2 moves next it and gets the kill in advancing fire. I should have kept him BU but wnated to have tha AAMG Firepower and gun that hits ready for the final German charge....

Game over with 30 CVP amassed by the Germans as lost one Sherman and couple of Squads previously.

Not that I am a whining type of ASLer, but I'd call those odds pretty low. :) At least I got a story to tell....

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Second Crack at Caumont is rough to set up as the Germans. You've got that beautiful 88LL that normally deserves to be the linchpin of any defense, but here it's just a source of agony and frustration. There simply isn't any good place to set it up. There's several fair places, but each one has its downsides. So I found myself just setting up the infantry and planning the defense that way, then doing the 88 and the JgPzIV at the end. One covered one side, one covered the other, and it was actually the JgPz that I set up first, wanting it behind the Bocage in 53Y5. So, yeah. I know it's a Chas Argent scenario, but it definitely felt like a Pete Shelling twist there - "here's a scenario where you get one of the most powerful units in the game, but you don't get to enjoy it."

My advice? Set it up last in one of the "fair" hexes so that nothing else in your OB plans on supporting it, and hope it bags 2 tanks. Beyond that, don't hope for much.

Reading up on the scenario, I had to agree with jrv about Rubbling a building with the DC. The benefit of knocking down one VC building - forcing the Americans to take a multilevel building on the SW side of town - seemed tremendous, and that DC really doesn't have much else to do. I liked trying to Rubble O5 (rather than jrv's choice of R8) because if that goes down, the P4-O6 street is blocked so that the Shermans have to go around, but more importantly, LOS from P4 and Q3 to N7 (one of the Germans' prime skulking hexes) is also blocked.

The odds of success? If you take a 468 and bring the 9-2 along (kind of mandatory, IMO), you have:
  • 83% chance of Setting it (leader-modified US #)
  • 92% chance of passing the TC to detonate it (leader-modified)
  • 78% chance of rolling the KIA necessary to rubble it (need a KIA on the 30 column with a -3 DRM)
All told, that's a 60% chance of really swinging the game in the Germans' favor. Worth it, IMO - the defense of the town can just barely spare the 468 and 9-2 for those 2 turns, and when you're done, they're already sitting in the Alamo, ready to defend.

But alas - rolling an 11 on the 30 column doesn't rubble a building, it turns out. Whoda thunk?

During the replay, Dave conveniently forgot to comment on this moment from our game:

German turn 3. In the CCPh of the previous turn, the 247 had Ambushed three squads and a 9-1 in Q5 and brazenly withdrew to the middle of the street. In the G3 Prep Fire Phase, in full view of both armies, he calmly reached for a Panzerfaust. dr of 1! OHH MY. Somewhere off in the distance, an eagle cried. Selecting his target with care, he knelt down in the hot dusty street and took aim. To Hit DR.... 10! Miss! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

He died ingloriously, but MAN did he have a moment.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Great episode gents. I don’t think I’ve played Second Crack at Caumont. It certainly looks interesting.

Matrin‘s TTT5 is really well done as well; I think it would be a fabulous resource for new players.

indy

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What is next then gents? Best ever scenario? Best third party product? The best ever ASL story?

I bet the bill in a Swiss restaurant was a bit eyewatering Dave with the GBP£ so weak..............

Many thanks to you both for more content 👍

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AP32 is a cracking good scenario. Played it at least a couple of times.

Not cleva' enough to set a DC. Nor particularly good on the defence in this one.

Most memorable moment was a final turn when my 8-1 makes a bid for the CVP cap win. Dieter moves adjacent to a Sherm' in a no-parking zone. Disdains D-Fire. AFPh. Reaches for PF. Finds one. And fires...

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Had to dig out my game from 2011. VASL backward compatibility sucks.

Got it wrong. No surprise. I'm 11 years older.

My cunning opponent Dan scored a CH on my 8-1 in DFF and redecorated the ground-floor appartment. :(

Howeva'

...my wounded hero did find a PF in the GT6 AFPh.

And did hit and KO a different Sherm.

And that broke the bank of America!