#74: Dinant Day 2

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great episode again...the Dining campaign is a bit hard to follow as you have to zoom out a bit.

Sadly, I don't really have a suggestion for improvement. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story,
as they say. I'm shying away from the Dinant campaign: the business of the bridges seems a bit
too fiddly for my tastes. I guess I have to get some counters out and see for myself.

indy
The bridges are easy really. Just modified manhandling and clearance rules. So it is all aped off of existing rules principles.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No dummy placement for Dinant. Note Dummies are NA. Sorry guys.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl, are they also NA in the initial scenario?
Hi Jeff. This from my February post to John F.

Hi John, so two points on this. "The Initial Scenario provides setup instructions for that scenario" so both sides get the freebie of everyone in Concealment Terrain gets Concealed. However, the word "otherwise" is in there and Dummies are N/A. Also, the 'what phases get used for the Initial Scenario' includes the rule above. Dummies are NA is specifically part of that rule and not overridden by the Initial Scenario rules, so no, you cannot buy Dummies. The footnotes help you out here also by way of why this is so. This was not a set piece defense by the French. They barely beat the Germans to the Meuse. This was more of a meeting engagement with a river in the middle of it than anything else.

The short answer is, no Dummies. Your entrenchments do get set up HIP and are revealed as in E1.16. Also, once you begin play, remember that the Kindling/Spreading Fire DR for Woods has a -2 DRM. It is harder to start/spread fire in this game than in most, at least in the woods anyway. Also remember for that Initial Bombardment, that only hexes with units in it are hit, buildings or Bridges. Should a Roadblock or several be purchased and lands in the Bombardment, that has a chance to be flattened too per C1.822. No deviation from the normal rules there, just pointing it out by way of reinforcement. Bottom line on the Initial Scenario is those rules take precedence and where they do not, fall back on the section above. When are you guys planning on starting this? If it is on VASL, I'll be happy to ride shotgun on the rules if available, to make sure you get off to a good start with it.

Thanks for your interest in the Module and CG and I hope you have fun with it if you are anticipating launching into the CG soon.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all your hard work on that HASL!

Looking forward to sinking some assault boats, and I guess that we will buy roadblocks!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all your hard work on that HASL!

Looking forward to sinking some assault boats, and I guess that we will buy roadblocks!
Roadblocks are your friend if you are the French, but remember, you get to clear them in BOTH players turns. Not just your own ;-).