#74: Dinant Day 2

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Take a close read of the rules on fire spreading, gents. Fire spreads much slower in this CG.

Do the same with the LOS rules for the RR underpasses. The LOS is actually quite restrictive (requiring the LOS to contain the grey road art work on both sides to be clear).

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The French are in a perfectly survivable position. You get a ton of cheap infantry arriving overnight. It takes time for the German armor to wind it's way through town. Not to mention you have to keep a corridor free from French intervention along the route off. I've seen the Germans have two prongs of the attack over the heights at end of day three and lose.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks - I noticed the -2 spreading fire drm last night, and also checked with Carl about the LOS - We'll figure out a way to slow the fires down.

At least I can blame Martin Myers' eyesight/Martin (Barker's) recollection of visits to Dinant for the LOS issue :)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks - I noticed the -2 spreading fire drm last night, and also checked with Carl about the LOS - We'll figure out a way to slow the fires down.

At least I can blame Martin Myers' eyesight/Martin (Barker's) recollection of visits to Dinant for the LOS issue :)
The -2 DRM is huge for the fire spreading issue. It still spreads downwind, but much slower. Also in the refit phase, a lot of those fires go away.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty tough to counter that particular Reality Argument.

"That LOS is blocked!"
"No it isn't - here's a picture I took of it when I visited Dinant last Summer"

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CG 9 takes care of the OBA. You can't just switch the OBA from Observer to Observer. If the radio or observer gets offed, then you can switch, but there is a delay. If the radio is malfunctioned, keep trying to repair that radio. You might be offline for that CG date.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Firing through cliffs:
B11.31 No vehicle armament, IFE, or ordnance may fire through a cliff hexside
to an adjacent lower level Location [EXC: LATW other than PIAT
(C13.61) or MTR with minimum range of 1 hex]. Other SW and Small Arms
Fire are not so restricted.

B11.32 Only an AA weapon, MG counter, SW ATR, PIAT, MTR with minimum
range of 1 hex and/or inherent Small Arms Fire may fire through a cliff
hexside to an adjacent higher level Location.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The German OBA has no Smoke in Dinant. Check the RG charts. Page 18 of the rules.

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Firing through cliffs:
B11.31 No vehicle armament, IFE, or ordnance may fire through a cliff hexside
to an adjacent lower level Location [EXC: LATW other than PIAT
(C13.61) or MTR with minimum range of 1 hex]. Other SW and Small Arms
Fire are not so restricted.

B11.32 Only an AA weapon, MG counter, SW ATR, PIAT, MTR with minimum
range of 1 hex and/or inherent Small Arms Fire may fire through a cliff
hexside to an adjacent higher level Location.
Yeah - In my defence, I read C.2.6 GUN DEPRESSION/ELEVATION: Only mortars, AA Guns (2.22) and Guns capable of using AA fire may fire-at/affect a higher-level target if the range to that target is < the elevation difference between the firer’s and the target’s Location. Otherwise, a Gun may fire-at/affect a different-level target only if the range is ≥ the elevation difference between them [EXC: cliff; B11.31-.32].

I assumed I knew what a cliff was, so didn't go back to see 11.31. Of course, it didn't feel right, and luckily, there was no effect, but hey, when there's a flamethrower adjacent to your tank, how hard are you going to look to find a reason not to let you try to get out of trouble!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, I did think I heard mention of Rommel being wounded. This is big for the French because note that much of Rommel's special abilities are predicated on his being unwounded.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Due to this, while victory is still possible for Martin, losing Rommel in the refit phase due to his wounds can possibly mess up ALOT of things.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you are looking for content Dave may I make a suggestion?

The Friday Club all play the same (short) scenario. Get us to make logfiles of each game and then compare the tactics / games. Get (some) of the players to talk you through their game - there are some good players like Jim Bishop and Martin Vicca playing these scenarios.

Then try the other ASL clubs - Soc Cal etc.

Might give you a few episodes :D

Many thanks to you both once again for more content.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Great episode again...the Dining campaign is a bit hard to follow as you have to zoom out a bit.

Sadly, I don't really have a suggestion for improvement. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story,
as they say. I'm shying away from the Dinant campaign: the business of the bridges seems a bit
too fiddly for my tastes. I guess I have to get some counters out and see for myself.

indy

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great episode again...the Dining campaign is a bit hard to follow as you have to zoom out a bit.

Sadly, I don't really have a suggestion for improvement. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story,
as they say. I'm shying away from the Dinant campaign: the business of the bridges seems a bit
too fiddly for my tastes. I guess I have to get some counters out and see for myself.

indy
It's whetted my appetite but then I love early war ...