#72: East Bank

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom

We're playing our first scenario from the latest action pack, and talk about the MGP SASL project, along with Jim's article in LFT#12 on attacking in ASL.

A brief conversation inspires me to add the winning/losing streak on your "My page" on the aslscenarioarchive - (full disclosure I had an 8 game losing streak that lasted over a year) - I'm still tweaking the date calculation on this, it's not quite right - but you'll find it at the bottom of the list of games played and will work with the opponent filter, too - so Martin's recent 5 game streak is there for the world to see).

As always, feedback, rules snafus etc, all welcome (I'm pretty sure we got the malf'd hip mortar wrong, but prove it to us!) :)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

We're playing our first scenario from the latest action pack, and talk about the MGP SASL project, along with Jim's article in LFT#12 on attacking in ASL.

A brief conversation inspires me to add the winning/losing streak on your "My page" on the aslscenarioarchive - (full disclosure I had an 8 game losing streak that lasted over a year) - I'm still tweaking the date calculation on this, it's not quite right - but you'll find it at the bottom of the list of games played and will work with the opponent filter, too - so Martin's recent 5 game streak is there for the world to see).

As always, feedback, rules snafus etc, all welcome (I'm pretty sure we got the malf'd hip mortar wrong, but prove it to us!) :)
The ‘2’ and ‘12’ counters in the upper right screen are turned off or something. Just mentioning, those two Americans squads and leader who snuck away from that melee should have kept the 3pp MMG. As always, thanks for the AAR story.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The ‘2’ and ‘12’ counters in the upper right screen are turned off or something. Just mentioning, those two Americans squads and leader who snuck away from that melee should have kept the 3pp MMG. As always, thanks for the AAR story.

I use the 2 and 12's during live games, I hook it up to a counter that increments when I spot them, but for vasl replays I just ignore it. I did wonder though if anyone would spot it though :)

Good spot on the MMG - I figured they were just happy to be out of that mess!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I use the 2 and 12's during live games, I hook it up to a counter that increments when I spot them, but for vasl replays I just ignore it. I did wonder though if anyone would spot it though :)

Good spot on the MMG - I figured they were just happy to be out of that mess!
Murphy’s law applies when you get some special cool indirect fire SSR and you 12 the gun on the first shot,bummer.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
With regards to the mortar. A9.7 says attack still resolved so you have taken a shot with a TH of 12. Miss. Then look at the concealement gain / loss table to see what happens when you take a shot with no enemy unit in LOS. HIP is not lost. Same with the repair.

I have been known to get it wrong :)

Jim's article was a good piece of work.

Many thanks to you both for more great content 👍

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave, that may be the worst pronunciation of "Maryland" I have ever heard.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't worry, Dave. I'm sure most of us Americans would make a total hash of pronouncing many UK cities or regions. Even we Americans correct each other on how to pronounce some of our own cities and states, including Maryland. The locals will be quick to correct the uninformed on the proper pronunciation of places like Louisville, Kentucky, or the state of Oregon, to name a couple others.

BTW, Maryland is in the Mid-Atlantic states, not New England. MMP's annual WO normally takes place in Bowie, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C.

I enjoy the Scenario Archive tool, and your conversations/ruminations with Martin. Always entertaining and informative.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BTW, Maryland is in the Mid-Atlantic states, not New England. MMP's annual WO normally takes place in Bowie, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C.
Cheers!

But is Bowie pronounced like David Bowie or David Bowie?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't even know if Maryland CAN be pronounced with an English accent. It takes a certain gutteral muttering, like an Elvis impersonator with a mouth filled with marbles.

That's why we kicked the English out. Didn't have anything to do with tea or taxation without representation. We were just tired of that lot's accent.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice job -- glad to see a US win, as another discussion struggled with calling it balanced. But I think maybe some don't understand the 'Fighting Withdrawal' part?

(Which -to be fair- is one of the most difficult things to execute properly. Both in ASL and real life. So may be less forgiving of mistakes/bad luck by the US player.)

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice job -- glad to see a US win, as another discussion struggled with calling it balanced. But I think maybe some don't understand the 'Fighting Withdrawal' part?

(Which -to be fair- is one of the most difficult things to execute properly. Both in ASL and real life. So may be less forgiving of mistakes/bad luck by the US player.)
It might be a nice example to take the game from turn 4 ish and see if it can be turned into a NK win - I think Martin lost sight of the goal - but to be fair he had a tough choice of 3 options, push for the exits, mop up the US brokies or push the US out of the buildings. We enjoyed the scenario, so 👍from us!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It might be a nice example to take the game from turn 4 ish and see if it can be turned into a NK win - I think Martin lost sight of the goal - but to be fair he had a tough choice of 3 options, push for the exits, mop up the US brokies or push the US out of the buildings. We enjoyed the scenario, so 👍from us!
If there were TOUGH CHOICES - I feel like I did my job. :geek: Failing to 'mop up US brokies' could be really bad if even one rallies in the rear to hold a building.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We were just tired of that lot's accent.
Er - at the time of the revolution we would have both had the same accents? Probably more to do with wanting out of English arrogance and the sense of superiority that some of us have................

Interesting fact. The French laugh at the way the Quebecois speak French. They look at it as the French of 200 years ago. Unlike French spoken in France which has changed.

It is the same in the USA. You have preserved the English of 200 years ago whilst it is us English that have changed the language. It is of course a bit more complicated:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Great episode. What are your thoughts on Korea’s ubiquitous light woods? I find it takes a bit of concentration for a turn or two to change the way I view the map board.

Maryland Shmaryland. You should hear the way my wife pronounces Worcestershire sauce…‘What’s-this-here sauce.” :)

indy

afantozzi

Reaction score
First name
Andrea
Country
llItaly
Thanks a lot for taking into consideration (and speaking of) my SASL MGP and SASL++ projects.

I do hope everyone using this "system" is going to have fun with SASL! These are ever-evolving projects. Unfortunately, this is all done by myself with some occasional help from outside. This means that rules and Missions (Situations, as I call them) do need some extensive playtesting. I have played quite a number of Mission with these rules, but there are situations that occur very rarely (like air attacks, for example), so it is still difficult to say how well they work.
The same holds true for the Situations. Some of them received a good number of playings, some others were played too few to understand how "balanced" they are (something always difficult in SASL).
In any case, please feel free to ask any questions and suggest changes/improvements.

One thing that I know ASL player dislike, is the use of a d10. This makes developement and tweaking much easier. However, I have the plan to drop the d10 at some time and return to the standard d6 for all tables.

Those who lack a d10 in VASL, may download a VASL d10 Extension from my facebook page (Boardgame Mods Repository; see link below).

There are some other resources there, which include:
1) An Excel Spreadsheet for selecting Mapboards (customizable, so that you can add whatever board you want in each category (Rural, Village, etc.). In this implementation all boards have the same probability of being selected; this should add more variety (I hope!). You can find this in the Files section.
2) An Excel Spreadsheet for selecting hex coordinates (so that you can avoid using chits and restrict the letters/numbers at your will). You can find this in the Files section.
3) A list of Question, Clarifications and Errata. You can find this in the Guides section.

Here is a link to the page: Boardgame Mods Repository Page

Please, remember that everything is totally free to download. Admission to the Facebook group is automatic. I decided to open a Facebook group bacause it allows me to upload all of my stuff in a sigle place.

Thank you and happy SASLing!

Andrea