#70: Wildcat Strike

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A look at 6 of the round one games played of WO16 Wildcat Strike (a great scenario) and a quick tour of some new Scenario Archive features.

Sorry that this one is a little long!
Lol, “My memory isn’t good enough for that memory aid.”

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I learned the same lesson that Martin did - when the battlefield is this big, save your Tank Hunter Heroes for ad hoc situations, don't set them up HIP onboard unless you're dead sure they'll see some action. In my game, Ryan attacked away from two of my HIP THHs and after I created one on Japanese turn 1, there were no more to be had.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I learned the same lesson that Martin did - when the battlefield is this big, save your Tank Hunter Heroes for ad hoc situations, don't set them up HIP onboard unless you're dead sure they'll see some action. In my game, Ryan attacked away from two of my HIP THHs and after I created one on Japanese turn 1, there were no more to be had.
Came to same conclusion playing AP183 Patton's Ghost earlier this year. There's simply no way to anticipate where enemy armour will go in some scenarios. This is doubly important when you only get a handful to play with.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not that it mattered to the game Dave but Japanese knee mortars place WP as dispersed. It fires smoke at full effect. It's in the chapter H rules.

Why the rules are like that - always wondered.

Were you ill with Covid at Double One? I caught it somewhere over that weekend..............

One thing about the games - no Japanese player deployed. Craig Benn always does that. When I asked him why he stated "it's so that I have something left at the end". Wise words.

Many thanks for more content 👍

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not that it mattered to the game Dave but Japanese knee mortars place WP as dispersed. It fires smoke at full effect. It's in the chapter H rules.

Why the rules are like that - always wondered.
Hmm- good catch - another one to note!

Were you ill with Covid at Double One? I caught it somewhere over that weekend..............
I picked it up too, but had 3 negative tests before and during the tournament. Seems like it's definitely done the rounds. Hope you weren't too bad with it.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tuomo - Craig deploys at start and throughout the game. It is his way of avoiding step reduction.
That's an interesting way to play. I would find it disconcerting to play against; you'd want to counter by applying the FTR-based tactics of the ETO, but some Japanese would still be full squads so you probably wouldn't get the balance right. Kinda the problem that NFL teams face when playing against a QB they haven't seen before - they haven't figured the situation out yet, so they're thrown off.