#68: Something Borrowed

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dave - those T34's of yours could only fire their MA BU?
Ofgs! I even looked it up and misread it (clearly too quickly) to think I couldn't fire the CMG & MA in the same fire phase - primarily because it didn't have its corners missing. Mea culpa.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for playing my Something Borrowed. Also, apologies that Martin didn't fair too well. The Tampa Bay ASL playtesters tend to be aggressive players, particularly on the attack. When the Russians play aggressive and use all (or most) of their tricks, the Germans can be put on their heels. The tricks that the Russians need to strongly consider include the following:
  1. Exchange an 8-0 for a commissar 9-0.
  2. Attempt to place some Matilda and Valentine smoke every turn.
  3. Use VBM freeze. This prevents the Germans from shooting at infantry. And if the tank is unlucky, buildings that blaze become Russian controlled per the VC.
  4. Human Wave the Russians that set-up onboard.
  5. Bring some of the reinforcing Soviet infantry on as riders.
  6. Using most (or all) of the above, threaten and get as close as possible to all the building groups in the first two turns, when the Germans are at their weakest.
A bit of a shameless plug, but for a Chinese scenario, consider SP237 Shanghai Scuffle. Not a lot a playings, but has good ROAR fun factor rating. Unique draw - it plays on a section of the VotG map.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you for playing my Something Borrowed. Also, apologies that Martin didn't fair too well. The Tampa Bay ASL playtesters tend to be aggressive players, particularly on the attack. When the Russians play aggressive and use all (or most) of their tricks, the Germans can be put on their heels. The tricks that the Russians need to strongly consider include the following:
  3. Use VBM freeze. This prevents the Germans from shooting at infantry. And if the tank is unlucky, buildings that blaze become Russian controlled per the VC.
  6. Using most (or all) of the above, threaten and get as close as possible to all the building groups in the first two turns, when the Germans are at their weakest.
A bit of a shameless plug, but for a Chinese scenario, consider SP237 Shanghai Scuffle. Not a lot a playings, but has good ROAR fun factor rating. Unique draw - it plays on a section of the VotG map.
It's fascinating and instructive to read the comments by a scenario designer if its play appears to be unbalanced, either after one playing (as is the case here) or overall. Pretty unique scenario by the looks of it. Germans using T34s against British tanks driven by Russians- it doesn't get much weirder than that!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The Rush seems to be the ONLY action you can take.
The German OB reflects the VBMSF Plan. Otherwise they are worthless if pounded at range.
It seems a bit too obvious and thus pigeonholing the Russian into a Dicefest charge.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you for playing my Something Borrowed. Also, apologies that Martin didn't fair too well.
No - sorry we didn't give a great account of the Russian side - but please don't apologise. I hope we didn't give the impression it was unbalanced. It was more about "what are the Russian's doing wrong?". Thanks for the scenario!

Intriguing, thanks! It's now on our 'to-play list'