#66 Five-Oh-Sink

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per your question on the replay value of Scenarios and their "value/worth". I think something close to what you were describing could be akin to LCP's ASL For Fun, The Road to Odessa.

This Scenario (and most of the ASL for Fun Modules) has multiple options for set up and deployment, the option for team play, and is almost guaranteed to never play the same way twice due to all the various options. Granted it has not been extensively balanced (it is free after all), but it does come with a unique map, a grand scenario, and multiple smaller scenarios. This sounds almost exactly like what you were describing.

I would have bought this if it was for purchase as i love the concept, and I have gotten a lot of play time with it.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watching the replay of Martin's game with Toby, when Martin did these two things (trying to move his gun and then trying to zoom that squad and leader over from the left side to the middle, only to get them whacked by a long range shot), I thought "This is the kind of thing people do when they play Really Good Players and try too hard". I've only played Steve Pleva once, I think, and I remember doing just that - he had a bunch of infantry who had to cross a big swath of open ground to get at my defenders, and I had a HMG in an upper building level who was poised to Get His HMG On. But then I over-thought it and moved the thing down to ground level, probably to try to lay a firelane, but really all I was doing was hurting myself and making Steve's job easier.

Back to Martin, though, and I think he may deserve the benefit of the doubt. Moving one's Gun is actually an initiative-taking out-of-the-box-thinking thing that sometimes pays real dividends, so I shouldn't fault him for that. And given how the end-game battle came down to the area in the middle (that Martin tried to reinforce with the squad and leader who got shot up), his trying to reinforce that area was probably just good foresight. We can quibble about his choice of movement paths to get there, but I'm gonna give him a pass on that one too.

So two Conditional Thumbs Up, Martin, and a tin star that says "Nice Try".

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

At the end is Toby's first part of Bunkers - It very cool "out of the Box" setup ideas that I never thought of

Rob :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh and hopefully Mr. Pilling's got the scenario design bug now :)

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Toby's scenario was played by the Friday Club and not one US player won.........nobody rolled boxcars on an 88 though.

Did not see you deploy once Martin. Put a wall of half squads in the way? Could have intensive fired the 88 at the hero with the DC?

Toby's tip on pillboxes - he told me about turning the pillbox not to face the enemy back in the 90's - it does work - I won a game against Martin Mayers by setting up the Japanese pillbox to face away from the oncoming US. He still moans to me about it :LOL:

He did not mention don't put them in ambush terrain (woods) so that your opponent cannot ambush them in CC.

Many thanks for more content - always enjoy watching these.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Toby's tip on pillboxes - he told me about turning the pillbox not to face the enemy back in the 90's - it does work - I won a game against Martin Mayers by setting up the Japanese pillbox to face away from the oncoming US. He still moans to me about it :LOL:
I honestly thought he was putting us on. He can't mean "rotate the pillbox so that it faces completely away from the enemy approach", can he? Judging from what he did in the video, doesn't he just mean, "if you can, rotate it one hexside to either side so that it's weakest DRM isn't completely exposed to the enemy"?

Cuz, I dunno, I always thought Pillboxes were supposed to give you a good place to bring the enemy under fire?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was looking for some way to set up the forward gun limbered then push it over toward the other, down the road with a squad helper, lol, probably a forward gun toward a backfield gun.
The 88L AA doesn't have a gun shield, even though it probably should. This kinda ruins the whole idea.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have done that in a March Madness scenario. I had to have an unbroken unit in the pillbox to win the scenario as the defender.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Pillboxes are generally used to provide enfilade fire across the anticipated enemy axis of advance. MGs usually set up for enfilade fire. Fire lanes in ASL sort of do this but do not get their full due in this regard.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Scenario designers have latched on to this 'gamey' tactic and stipulate in SSR's that pillboxes have to cover a certain arc
Yes - that was me playtesting for BFP and Chas picked it up :) Try playing ON2 Stuck Ducks with the pillbox facing away from the river and wire on top of it in the VC area - no way the Brits can win.

I broke that one 👍