#63: Toby Pilling Interview

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all, sorry for the delay - I've been travelling, but we had a chance to play a scenario from the upcoming March Madness 2022 pack (released on March 18th from Encircled Productions/Kansas City Wargames club), and also interview our resident "decent player" Toby, following the publication of his mega-article on defending in ASL, published by Le Franc Tireur.

News of the patron tournament entrants and a chance to win a copy of LFT 11, too.

Cheers,

Dave

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, sorry for the delay - I've been travelling, but we had a chance to play a scenario from the upcoming March Madness 2022 pack (released on March 18th from Encircled Productions/Kansas City Wargames club), and also interview our resident "decent player" Toby, following the publication of his mega-article on defending in ASL, published by Le Franc Tireur.

News of the patron tournament entrants and a chance to win a copy of LFT 11, too.

Cheers,

Dave
All my stuff is now well sorted and stored in Plano.20797

Last edited:

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Did you guys get the LATW HEAT vs infantry correct - NRBH but I thought the target had to be in a building, behind wall/bocage AND only one unit was hit...I could be wrong of course,

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you guys get the LATW HEAT vs infantry correct - NRBH but I thought the target had to be in a building, behind wall/bocage AND only one unit was hit...I could be wrong of course,
Behind building/wall, with a baz or Shrek all targets hit get the effects roll. With PF's it is more complex. You hit one unit holding a SW of the firers choice or go with RS. NRBH, but that I believe is correct. Bocage does not trigger HEAT attacks, just walls and buildings.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All my stuff is now well sorted and stored in Plano.
Does this mean I'm officially more disorganised than you now, Bob? Hmm...I'm not sure how that makes me feel.

Anyway, I understand you know this new, up and coming player on the US scene - Sidneb Trebor. Encourage him to haul his ass over the Atlantic some time and we can test his mettle!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this mean I'm officially more disorganised than you now, Bob? Hmm...I'm not sure how that makes me feel.

Anyway, I understand you know this new, up and coming player on the US scene - Sidneb Trebor. Encourage him to haul his ass over the Atlantic some time and we can test his mettle!
Lol, chaos is my element.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Very nice. Enjoyed the interview, and glad to hear Nick is still playing : one of the nicest chaps in ASL, he was missed at Heroes.
Re your game, rather than risk that side shot on the Stg to get to D0, Martin could have driven it to E1, tried his SD if required, stopped, started in reverse and reversed into D0.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Interesting little Podcast you guys got 👍
First time watching ... on advice from your interviewee @Toby Pilling ...

And thanks to Toby for all the kind words on our Copenhagen Tournament - and the games we've had through the years. Katushya's Embrace in 2019? was a blast !

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Having listened to Toby's interview I can confirm that Mike Rudd was a great player. I never won a game against him. It was always a question of how bad the loss was going to be.

Talking to Mike back in the 90's he stated he went to bed reading the ASL errata. How do you compete against that :rolleyes:

Toby neglected to mention his system where once he has played a scenario he will write down what he thinks is the best defense / attack. In that way you build up a "library" of scenarios.

Which is a good idea.

I think we're all catching up with Mike / Toby. The likes of Mark Blackmore, Craig Benn, Ian Morris, Ian Ainsworth and Martin Vicca would all give him a run for his money. As was shown by Ian beating him last Nov in Blackpool.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Friday Club played Toby's scenario in the LFT (Jim Bishop wanted to play it).

Out of three playings there was no US win. The 88's just blew the US troops away...........

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Errata: Substitute German 88's with Russian ATRs. Captured Use penalties apply.