macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
So The Latest!

Martin shows his prowess with the classic Lenin's Sons but then rolls like the devil in CC where his 1,1 decimate American troops in Cibik's ridge to make Dave's up front defence (invested too much in that ambush) falls apart in a rapid and painful way!!

Cheers

Rob 😱

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll

This thread has an AAR of a Marine win.

I think, given the number of high ROF weapons the US have and the close range of combat the scenario is going to be dicey. If you don't kill the Japanese at 1 hex range they will get into CC and probably kill you.

Apart from rolling badly, I don't see what the US did wrong really. Interested to read what others think.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never played this one, but I bet the US needs to maximize the damage they do while the IJA is still in Column.

Eastern Gate is an awesome scenario with the Japanese also being in Column.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is years since I played this scenario but I think that the marines set their defences too far forward. The first thing to consider is the placement of the mortars. Mortars cannot be fired from dense jungle or bamboo. Therefore, I think that they have to be placed in the gully at oW7 with a spotter in a foxhole in oV7. From there, they can bring fire onto the jungle in oT6. Given the limitations imposed by the terrain and the minimum hex range of 3, I don't see any other location to put them.
The rest of the US marines need to set up on the hill and should not be at level 0. The reason for this is to put the Japanese at a disadvantage if they try to enter close combat. To enter a jungle hex while ascending costs 4 MF. It therefore involves loss of concealment during the MPh without the presence of a leader and will also mean that a CX counter is placed if the Japanese attacker enters during the APh. This gives the US the advantage when rolling for ambush since the modifiers for the attacker being CX and entering a jungle hex outweigh the Japanese stealth modifier for an overall ambush dr modifier of -1. Add in a negative leadership modifier of 2 and a HMG strongpoint becomes a nightmare for the Japanese to overcome. The US tactic should be to have their machine guns blasting the Japanese as they struggle up the hill and rely on the favourable CC DRM against any survivors. The gullies make it very difficult to outlank the defenders and this helps channel the attack into the teeth of the US weaponry.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Try this Dave:

My only comment on the game - to quote Martin Vicca if you want to win roll low.

Well done Martin for rolling low 👍

Lenin's Sons is one of Xavier's best. Can you give him a call please to see what he thinks are his best scenarios :)

Many thanks to you both for more content.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Try this Dave:

My only comment on the game - to quote Martin Vicca if you want to win roll low.

Well done Martin for rolling low 👍

Lenin's Sons is one of Xavier's best. Can you give him a call please to see what he thinks are his best scenarios :)

Many thanks to you both for more content.
This AAR indicates that a mortar set up in the bamboo in R9 and did some damage to a flanking Japanese platoon. The problem with this is that a mortar cannot be fired from bamboo which is treated as dense jungle unless otherwise specified. There is nothing in the bamboo rules to change the dense jungle prohibition against mortar fire. This greatly restricts US options for mortar use. Given that the jungle is light on the overlay (which I hadn't realised in my first post), effective placement seems to be restricted to oW7, oW6, oW4 or oW3 with spotters in the V hexrow.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Do people think errors in the rules for mortars in Bamboo and jungle could account for some US wins? Is there a case for a rules notes section that would remind people of such obscure rules that could swing a scenario?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The Marines are not steathy so the Japanese would bounce upon entry to US hexes instead of the US remaining HIP and getting a potential TPBF.

See: G.4 Detection - ...unit(s) consist(s) only of hidden, Stealthy Infantry...

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do people think errors in the rules for mortars in Bamboo and jungle could account for some US wins? Is there a case for a rules notes section that would remind people of such obscure rules that could swing a scenario?
Doubtful. The Japanese have mortars in their OB too and if one side is firing illegally, chances are they both will. I am not surprised that the scenario slightly favours the US on ROAR. It is really difficult for the Japanese to get past the massive and concentrated US firepower in such difficult terrain. On the other hand, SW breakdown can really hurt the Marines' chances. If the Marines get average to good ROF, I think that it is going to be tough sledding for their opponents..