6.5.1 & 6.6.1

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last week, I downloaded VASSAL 3.4.11/ VASL 6.6.1, did a custom install (made sure I had JAVA 8+) and all seemed to work. I played a couple of games with 6.5.1 with zero problems and then I re-started my computer. When I double-clicked 3.2.17 desktop icon it said that it was not compatible with the current version and that was it, ditto if i went to the 6.5.1 icon. I could get nothing to load.
I played around with it (double-clicking 3.2.17 icon and then clicking 'open module' -same incompatible message) and kept trying and just now I got it to open & accept 3.2.17/ 6.5.1 but I had tried this at least 10 times prior with no luck.

What might be the problem or what did I do wrong?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In short, I don't know.

I have four versions of VASSAL on my windows device at present (3.2.17, 3.4.6, 3.4.11, and 3.50) and I only ever have a problem loading them if one of the other versions is already loaded. VASSAL doesn't seem to like that. But beyond that specific situation, I have had no problems. I have seen posts similar to yours from other people as well. But have no sense of what is causing the problem? Is it a Mac thing? Is it a device thing?

On a related point, the each VASSAL window seems to show all the installed vmods on my device regardless of whether or not they will work on that device or not. Vmods requiring older versions of VASSAL are greyed out (ie VASL6.5.1 in the VASSAL3.4.6 window) but the reverse is not true.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
for me:
when I have 3.2.17 loaded, the 3.4.11 is greyed out
when I have 3.4.11 loaded, it does not show 3.2.17 at all

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
> When I double-clicked 3.2.17 desktop icon it said that it was not compatible with the current version
BTW, what did VASSAL 3.2.17 say it was not compatible with, exactly? The current version of what, exactly?

(edit)
> Last week, I downloaded VASSAL 3.4.11/ VASL 6.6.1, did a custom install (made sure I had JAVA 8+)
FYI, you don't need to install Java for VASSAL 3.4.x+ anymore, Java comes in the VASSAL installer.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, what did VASSAL 3.2.17 say it was not compatible with, exactly? The current version of what, exactly?

FYI, you don't need to install Java for VASSAL 3.4.x+ anymore, Java comes in the VASSAL installer.

This would come up over and over again. Then I did one more 'open module' and it took 6.5.1, loaded the maps and I was good. I am not sure how long this will last though. I am thinking once I close the 3.2.17 file on the task bar this is going to disappear again.

I said that I downloaded Java 8, it was already there I just updated it through windows.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Ironically your screenshot has the VASSAL version of the module launcher in the title bar covered so that we can't see that it was 3.2.17 throwing this error. I have a sneaking suspicion you're just overlooking something obvious like that.

In the help menu, you can choose Show Error Log and paste it's contents into a reply, too. That usually highlights the root causes pretty fast.

Another guess is that 3.4.11 is trying to read in the modules that you have in your preferences and warning you about all the obsolete ones. Again, the error log will probably shed more light.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That incompatible message I get is all that I get. VASL does not launch. You click the OK message box and it takes you back to the 6.5.1 icon (to re-do the same thing over and over again)

I took this error log off of the 3.2.17/ 6.5.1, on the taskbar and have posted it. I hope this helps.

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Your log file certainly says it's from 3.2.17. I dunno what you did, but you did it something good.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I shut my system down, started it back up and the first attempt to start 6.5.1 came back with the incompatible message but the 2nd time worked. I have no clue.. but that isn't really saying much. :)