6.3.3 Bug when using additional Map Windows in Vasal.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There appears to be a bug in Vasl 6.3.3. I have several extensions which use added map windows in order to be able to place and move counters on play aids and charts etc.

I have recently noticed a problem with 6.3.3 (do not think it was introduced earlier but may have been) where as soon as you create a log file the counters disappear from the map on which they were placed i.e. the extension “map” and appear on the Vasl map that you are playing the game on. If you move them back to the “extension map” as soon as you reload the game they move back to the Vasl playing map.

The extensions always used to work, so something has been broken somewhere along the line.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Further on this I have done a little testing and it seems that it may well be to do with the actual counters, I have a Campaign Game running that predates 6.3.3 and a lot of the counters in the game are old counters, it is only when the new counters are placed that there seems to be a problem.

EDIT it does not appear to be related to the counters - its very strange behaviour but when switching from the Extension map to the Vasl map and then moving a piece this seems to trigger moving a piece from the Extension map to the Vasl map, but only if it is in certain areas of the Extension map. Reallly wierd and makes many of my own extensions unusable and also precludes anyone creating extensions with maps for placing counters on such as play aids and charts like scenario aid cards.

Last edited:

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly this is a problem with the extension, not VASL proper, so I'd start by contacting the extension developer and have them take a lot at it.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Honestly this is a problem with the extension, not VASL proper, so I'd start by contacting the extension developer and have them take a lot at it.
I am the extension creator and I believe that this is actually a bug in Vasl - adding a new map window should be possible without getting this behaviour, as I said these problems have only started occurring since Vasl 6.3.3 (maybe a little earlier). I have noticed now that if counters are placed on the extension map in an area that would equate to the 5 hex buffer around the Vasl boards they do not get moved to the Vasl map. This is definitely something that has been inroduced either as a result fo snap to grid or as a result of changing the Vasl map behaviour. The problem seems to start occuring once you start a log file, prior to that things seem to work OK, but I cannot swear to that. If it is accepted that this is a bug then I could try and narrow the behaviour down, but if it is being stated that this is not a Vasl bug then I suppose I should report it to VASSAL as a bug.

Adding numerous map windows in VASSAL modules never creates this problem. Or are you saying that anything to do with using the extension editor is not within the remit of Vasl?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just in case you are interested - it all works OK up to and including version 6.2.2. The problem exists in Version 6.3.0 and later. Ignore comment re log file above that is a red herring. I can recreate this at will now.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What extensions are these and are they available publicly?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What extensions are these and are they available publicly?
A couple are available publicly such as Tyrants Lair and Maxim Gorki which contain play aids as map windows, others are extensions that I have made to facilitate play of Campaign Games such as Red Barricades which have only a limited audience, probabaly only my Vasl circle of players. I have no problem if the decision is not to fix, but I do think it is a bug and should be logged as such and people should be made aware that they cannot use the add map window functionality in Vasl when making extensions.

Not sure whether you were asking to see what extent of problem is or whether to see if you can recreate - if the latter I can give you set steps to recreate in a few lines.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Do you happen to know if the tray extension exhibits this behavior? It seems to be the most basic of map window extensions available.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The tray extension is not one that I use, but I tested it and yes it does display this behaviour, but if counters are placed towards the top or left of the tray then there will be no problem. Not sure what it is used for so do not know if this is a problem or not.

Also found another "public domain" extension that is affected and that is First Wave at Omaha which has a play aid for the naval units.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've noticed this same behaviour with the Tray. It only seems to occur when a counter is too close to the lower edges and sides of the Tray. Subsequently placing a counter from the dropdown onto the map will trigger the behaviour. Easy workaround is to make the tray a little bigger so there's more of a border space between the edges and the counters. That's worked for me anyway, YMMV.

Regards,
Jeff

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm happy to see if I can fix this, but I can't with the information provided thus far. It's probably related to the snap-to-grid fix but I can't fix it if I can't recreate it. I fiddled around with the ArmouredPassenger_Tray extension available on vasl.info and it seems to work fine.

Do me a favor and zip up all the extensions in your extensions directory and one of the saved games having a problem and PM me the zip file.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm happy to see if I can fix this, but I can't with the information provided thus far. It's probably related to the snap-to-grid fix but I can't fix it if I can't recreate it. I fiddled around with the ArmouredPassenger_Tray extension available on vasl.info and it seems to work fine.

Do me a favor and zip up all the extensions in your extensions directory and one of the saved games having a problem and PM me the zip file.
Thanks for having a look at this I have sent a PM if you need anything further let me know.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Thanks for having a look at this I have sent a PM if you need anything further let me know.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I was able to reproduce with these steps:

Start VASL with the Tray extension
Start a new game using whatever map (I happened to use 00).
Open the Tray window. Note the native size of the tray window.
Enlarge the tray window.
Place a counter on the Tray window in the area created above.
Place a counter on the VASL board.

If you've used the Tray and prefs for its size is already saved, just aim for about 4-5 inches down and 3-4 inches over. :)

Happens in 6.3.1 but not 6.2.2 (the only older versions I have handy).

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was able to reproduce with these steps:

Start VASL with the Tray extension
Start a new game using whatever map (I happened to use 00).
Open the Tray window. Note the native size of the tray window.
Enlarge the tray window.
Place a counter on the Tray window in the area created above.
Place a counter on the VASL board.

If you've used the Tray and prefs for its size is already saved, just aim for about 4-5 inches down and 3-4 inches over. :)

Happens in 6.3.1 but not 6.2.2 (the only older versions I have handy).
Does it happen in v6.3.3?

If not, then updating VASL will fix the problem.

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, wasn't clear. Happens in 6.3.1 and 6.3.3 and not in 6.2.2