6+1 leader article

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember reading an article somewhere on what to do with a 6+1 leader and I can't rememeber where I saw it. Does anyone remember the article?

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait you don't name them after your ex-wife and run them towards the 10-3 directed killstack while FFNAM/FFMO, too?

Weird.

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine would battle harden and go heroic just to show me one last time how I'm always wrong. ;)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks jrv. good stuff. I'm playing a cg and got a 6+1. I think I'll be able to put him to use.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Usually when I have a 6+1 I use him for leadership stuff. I don't often have enough leaders that I can send my 6+1 on esoteric special missions like Colonel Crittendon. I wouldn't use one for directing fire often, but if there is a critical firelane to put down, a 6+1 will do the trick. A 6+1 can move units as well as any other leader. A 6+1 is not a rally machine, but one is better than nothing in most situations.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would generally not have a 6+1 stacked in a hex where I am going to be attacked either, although since the SMC rolls first there is a high chance he will either break or pin and so won't affect the rest of the stack.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would generally not have a 6+1 stacked in a hex where I am going to be attacked either, although since the SMC rolls first there is a high chance he will either break or pin and so won't affect the rest of the stack.
JR
I remember in a recent game a Finnish 8+1 who passes his MC, then the squad stacked with him breaks thanks to his +1...following turn, same stuff, squad breaks again owing to defaitist vibes of 8+1. Squad surrenders, then Mr.8+1 is told to pick up the SW lying in the hex, rolls 6...then he leaves the hex, is attacked, and rolls 12 on his MC DR! What a loser :facepalm:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I remember in a recent game a Finnish 8+1 who passes his MC, then the squad stacked with him breaks thanks to his +1...following turn, same stuff, squad breaks again owing to defaitist vibes of 8+1. Squad surrenders, then Mr.8+1 is told to pick up the SW lying in the hex, rolls 6...then he leaves the hex, is attacked, and rolls 12 on his MC DR! What a loser :facepalm:
A 6+1 leader is mostly harmless. An 8+1 leader should be committed as a danger to others (EXC: 8+1 commissar, where it's a tossup).

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A 6+1 leader is mostly harmless. An 8+1 leader should be committed as a danger to others (EXC: 8+1 commissar, where it's a tossup).
JR
I agree in principle, but it's situation-dependent, as always. My oppo could not have imagined how unhelpful this guy could be.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Personally I like the idea of giving one a FT (or a DC) then letting my opponent sweat out how much firepower to allocate.
I would be reluctant to give such an valuable asset to a 6ML unit, especially with the -1 DRM vs FT. OTOH, roasting your opponent with a 6+1 sure gives style points and an edge in psychological warfare.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 6+1 has as good morale as a US 1st line unit, and we give SW to them all day long.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There's the occasional HIP phone, and running with troops coming under cover from the board edge, but other than that...

I guess, occasionally, giving one a FT could work. If the opponent only has few fire opportunities out of the target hex, or to fix a MG CA out of the way... just don't do it when it's your only threat!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Making him a plunger dude for Set DC's is an option if the Set DC detonation timing isn't absolutely critical, As jrv has said, some of the best uses were discussed in those forum threads IIRC.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Making him a plunger dude for Set DC's is an option if the Set DC detonation timing isn't absolutely critical, As jrv has said, some of the best uses were discussed in those forum threads IIRC.
I believe only the MMC that set the DC (or one of its deployed halfsquads) may use the set DC.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I believe only the MMC that set the DC (or one of its deployed halfsquads) may use the set DC.
I am wrong: any infantry unit may set a DC by rolling a dr (potentially modified by another leader) < its US#. Only the unit that set the DC and not the assisting leader may detonate the DC. I guess the reason I have never seen a leader do it is because it would have to make a modified dr < 1. A 6+1 would be doubly-bad, because it would later have to pass a NTC with its Morale Level of 6 to detonate the weapon.

JR

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I blame A25.7 for this. Finns shouldn't surrender to Russian via the RtPh method, at least not during the Winter War.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would they when they can leap over them in a single bound?