#59: Try at Trentlehof

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played it with the Germans and won. It's a rather good scenario, although it is mostly static for the defender. A couple of extra trenches would have helped. Much depends on the capability of the OBA to make enough casualties for the 24 VP cap to matter in the end game. I was fortunate to have three consecutive fire missions at the beginning, which helped cushioning the initial assault. When the German tanks enter, it became less difficult to defend.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another excellent episode! Regarding the film "Forgotten Battle," the final battle involves the Walchern Causeway
specifically, and the Scheldt Estuary more generally. At the military museum here in Calgary, there is a wonderful
diorama of the battle. One of the regiments involved in the Estuary battle was from Calgary (The Calgary Highlanders).

Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Scheldt and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Walcheren_Causeway

Also, I think in SL, Ghurkas were 447 Brits with some special abilities. In ASL, they are Brits with special abilities,
and not necessarily any specific squad type. See A25.43.

FWIW, I don't view 2nd line squads as a military thing. I see them as a game mechanic to differentiate line units. I guess,
with my interpretation, a first line squad could be a second line squad a week later (to simulate the need for rest perhaps).

Dave, did you misread the set up conditions? You can set up anywhere on board 17, and it looked liked you chose to
set up in the victory area. My match vs Rob was a tougher slog for my Americans, as Rob was positioned to interdict
my forces much earlier than your units were versus Sgt. Barker.

Again, excellent episode.

indy

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi Guys

Fantastic Episode with
(a) Toby Tips on Trenches are just fantastic - I have not used them that well ever!! so I just blew my mind when it said (and I looked up) that you can move (nonassult) and not loose concealment and then advance into Ambush!! - wow -cant wait to do that

(b) I think Dave should realise that's not how you take out an M10 - They are only to be charged if your a panther/tiger etc since your frontal armour protects you - otherwise the "take out American Tank Destroyer" technique is usually -
(1) supress and stun with your infantry during prep if you can
(2) use mgs to do the same in advancing fire - 4+2 is not too bad at least - US tank Crew I think morale is 7 not 8 from memory (might be wrong)
(3) absolutely make them Change TCA - slow turret on M10 (M18 and M36 went to fast)

(c) I thought Dave could have brought more fire to bear in the T1 and T2 moves of Martin and then more skulk fire and move to prolong the defence but I have not played this so its just a preliminary comment

I do feel sry for Dave and his rolls - sometimes its better to break out the dice and do a few of those for a while - Martin trust your results I am sure!

Cheers

Rob :)

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Was Martin wearing a Hoodoo Gurus t-shirt? Have to agree that Dave's armour play was sub par. Driving up and stopping in an M10s covered arc and "hoping that they miss" is not a good plan.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave wondered if we'd see Manila this year. All I can say is, the map edits included the year 2022 in the colophon :)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Concider trenches in R4 and Q5 (17), more places to spread out or move through. Your best guys are in a good place but look for sneaky LOSs through the trees. For instance 1st level Q4(17) can see H4 (44), known because the exact midpoint is between woods L0/M1 (44), several nasty attacks on stacks of moving Americans were missed. Use sprayfire like it’s going out of style, two 2(-1)s against 2 squads is magnatudes better than a 4(-1) against one. The whole key is harassing fire for the Germans. Ya gotta work it into a choice spot, watch the Americans panic and scatter for a mere SR and bring down the harassing fire on a slew of guys. Its not so much the 4 flat ( or 4(-1) in the woods, ouch !) it’s that it makes moving and advancing terrifying, even into an FFE/C. As the German, the artillery saved me and gave the US big trouble. Drive the tanks for mutual support and try to park them hull down (Q6 & Q7 maybe?), take the first shot. Count up the buildings the US needs and draw a line to hold, enough to win.

I remember one highlight in my game was fortified hex S4(17). An American squad had gone berserk and looked to disrupt the whole German defense but he got hung up out in in open, unable to move on the next turn to because of the unpinned squad in the adjacent fortified building, lol.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I look at all that open ground the US has to cover and just think "firelanes". 6 morale troops make going through firelanes in open ground a bad experience........

You have two half squads plus can deploy another squad which means all 4 machines guns can go upfront manned by half squads? Their job is to slow the advance and run back to the buildings.

I did not see you use one firelane Dave (but might have missed it).

You could have played those tanks better 😁 I always remember Craig's comment - if you move into the CA of an enemy tank you're dead. Don't do it Dave...........

I think you should give that one another go.

Many thanks for more content. Happy New Year to you both.

What's up with Martin? He keeps moving round his house. I look forward to the episode where he is sitting in the kitchen 😁

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys

Fantastic Episode with
(a) Toby Tips on Trenches are just fantastic - I have not used them that well ever!! so I just blew my mind when it said (and I looked up) that you can move (nonassult) and not loose concealment and then advance into Ambush!! - wow -cant wait to do that

(b) I think Dave should realise that's not how you take out an M10 - They are only to be charged if your a panther/tiger etc since your frontal armour protects you - otherwise the "take out American Tank Destroyer" technique is usually -
(1) supress and stun with your infantry during prep if you can
(2) use mgs to do the same in advancing fire - 4+2 is not too bad at least - US tank Crew I think morale is 7 not 8 from memory (might be wrong)
(3) absolutely make them Change TCA - slow turret on M10 (M18 and M36 went to fast)

(c) I thought Dave could have brought more fire to bear in the T1 and T2 moves of Martin and then more skulk fire and move to prolong the defence but I have not played this so its just a preliminary comment

I do feel sry for Dave and his rolls - sometimes its better to break out the dice and do a few of those for a while - Martin trust your results I am sure!

Cheers

Rob :)
For A, not susceptible to FFNAM either.