#57: Gut Punch and an Interview with Jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well done Dave and Martin!

It would be great if you could do more of these interviews with prominent ASL players.

Apart from what Jim had to say about his own projects, he provided a great deal of insight into other players and ASL in general. He also made a superb pitch for attending the Texas Team Tourney and partaking in what MC Rick has on offer.

Envy Dave re Alpenfestung. Isn't this his second trip to the Confederation's most exclusive (and only) ASL event? Marc runs a classy ASL get-together like no other. Thanks for sharing the pics, especially the one with a CX Dave making an Abrupt Elevation Change. Sadly, it's an increasingly common phenomenon among our ASL demographic, even on gentler KGP-like slopes.

Good gunnning to you both in Blackpool! Martin and Simon's hard work appears to have paid off. Sixty is a very respectable headcount, even if it isn't a UK record.

Cheers,

Chris
Btw, had a look at the DB141card, and didn't see where it allowed the 88 to set up inside the Factory (C2.7).

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Envy Dave re Alpenfestung. Isn't this his second trip to the Confederation's most exclusive (and only) ASL event? Marc runs a classy ASL get-together like no other.
It was actually my third! The full AAR is here, for those interested..
Btw, had a look at the DB141card, and didn't see where it allowed the 88 to set up inside the Factory (C2.7).
Yeah - as Stew quickly spotted on YouTube.. That's a very illegal placement. However, as I noted.. I'm pretty sure it was built in a factory, so I figured it could fit back in there again! Mea culpa - but I feel like Martin's going to get the best use out of that Gun from now!

Dave

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great presentation and very interesting interview with Jim Bishop. Re the discussion of the role of luck in ASL, I think that there were will be a common perception by strong players that the dice frequently turn against them. Anyone who plays online poker at lower limits will be familiar with the same thing: a good player is in a hand against a weaker opponent and is all set to take down a big pot when a terrible card arrives on the river to turn the anticipated gain into a loss. He will bemoan his fate and wonder why this keeps happening to him. The answer of course is that good players generally don't put themselves into situations where they need a lucky river card to win a bloated pot. When they are on the receiving end of that kind of bad luck, they will perceive that they are unlucky whereas the reality is that their weaker opponents need to get lucky while stronger players generally don't. There will be a similar phenomenon in ASL: strong players generally don't give opponents the chance to shoot at valuable units in the open with six minus three shots without a good reason so they aren't going to get the chance to experience the kind of lucky outcome that Jim describes. I would therefore suggest that a player's "luck" in general will be inversely proportional to the standard of his play.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For the Gut Punch scenario, the position of maps 47 and 75 should have been swapped.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sauna's and ASL :unsure:

They all went for a sauna at the Swedish Friendly Fire tourny on the Friday Night (there's a surprise it being Sweden). I passed. Seeing a load of naked ASL players was not my idea of fun................

You're braver than me Dave 😁

I've played Gut Punch twice - once in Double One (as the Germans and won) and once in the Chicago VASL tourny (Russians and won). I played a sneaky bloke in the Chicago tourny. Where your AT gun is he set a trap and if I had broken he had a HIP unit back on the hill on Bd47 in E3 to kill any brokies for failure to rout.............I was lucky to survive it.

Many thanks for a fun game in Blackpool Dave and for more content 👍

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sauna's and ASL :unsure:

They all went for a sauna at the Swedish Friendly Fire tourny on the Friday Night (there's a surprise it being Sweden). I passed. Seeing a load of naked ASL players was not my idea of fun................

You're braver than me Dave 😁
Athelstan you isn't.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A great episode, the interview with Jim was excellent.

I thought Jim made a very good point about the quality of the scenarios selected for the Albany tournament. I don't think the website exists anymore, does anyone know if those lists are archived somewhere?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If Jim wants to play in France there is a tourny in villeneuve d'ascq (near Lille) in May.