#55: Castles on the Horizon

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Germans could/should have swept up to down or down to up. The main reason is it only engages a portion of the defence, not the whole firing line.
But in the desert, everything can see everything else, just at longer ranges. Are you saying that the extra range is what helps the Germans here, or maybe that you're hoping the hillocks would block some LOS?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But in the desert, everything can see everything else, just at longer ranges. Are you saying that the extra range is what helps the Germans here, or maybe that you're hoping the hillocks would block some LOS?
Both

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I'd love to play this scenario, but I'm stymied right out of the gate by the SSR that allows all MMC to set up in foxholes. Wouldn't this negate the utility of the OoB-provided dummy counters, since once an enemy unit comes on board they would reveal that none of them set up with foxholes?

This issue gave me pause; perhaps the design hadn't been thoroughly hashed out. I'd love for someone to convince me to play it, though. Perhaps at next month's West Coast Melee.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hillock overlay H6 has two Scrub hexes on it. J186 "Castles On The Horizon" SSR 1 says one of those hexes is a Hillock Summit (F6.6)
Is that hex still a Scrub hex when the Hillock Summit counter is placed on it?
Thanks in advance.
Rick

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I'd love to play this scenario, but I'm stymied right out of the gate by the SSR that allows all MMC to set up in foxholes. Wouldn't this negate the utility of the OoB-provided dummy counters, since once an enemy unit comes on board they would reveal that none of them set up with foxholes?
I played this as the British and I used the dummies to create fake Stuarts all over the place. Of course you’ll need to setup the real ones in Scrub hexes in order the plan to work but I was able to keep him guessing for a while.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I played this as the British and I used the dummies to create fake Stuarts all over the place. Of course you’ll need to setup the real ones in Scrub hexes in order the plan to work but I was able to keep him guessing for a while.
Ahem...

F2.3 CONCEALMENT:
Scrub is Concealment Terrain, but only for Infantry (and their possessed SW), Dummy stacks, entrenchments (including Sangars;8.), and Emplaced Guns. A Gun that sets up HIP/concealed in scrub may be considered Emplaced (F.1A).