#55: Castles on the Horizon

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I enjoyed this episode, but then I enjoy them all. Big fan of the Desert scenarios, which is where armour and ordnance come into their own.
If you'd like a suggestion for another armour based scenario analysis , how about "Flying turrets" from CoS?
Keep up the good work , you're more than worth my monthly patreon contribution..

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I tried to play this one recently but my opponent could not find his hillock overlays. But looks to be a fun one, there are only a couple of medium desert scenarios out there. Hope the new edition of Hollow Legions will change that.

I really appreciate the analysis by Rob. one suggestion for future armour fest is this one: https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=56349

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I tried to play this one recently but my opponent could not find his hillock overlays. But looks to be a fun one, there are only a couple of medium desert scenarios out there. Hope the new edition of Hollow Legions will change that.
"medium desert scenarios" ??

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would agree with Rob - splitting your attacking force as Martin did is always a bad idea.......

Looking for an armour scenario and nobody has mentioned The Puma Prowls?

Vic does a great magazine and the most fun scenario of his that I played recently was also in the Double One tourny - DB141 Gut Punch.

Many thanks for another episode.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for another entertaining episode!

Regarding your thoughts on arranging an 'ASL Champion of the World' event, I remember a discussion I had over a decade ago (I think with Peter Struijf), about whether some kind of event like the one you describe could ever be feasible. I seem to recall being invited to a friendly gathering of a few top European players for some gaming but not being able to make it - that's the most that transpired.

My own suggestion would look something like a tennis championship - use the AREA (or similar) rating to invite the top 16 active players in the world. Top up that group from another 16 who can be the winners (or top runners-up, if someone already invited has won) of a selected group of tournaments.

Regarding travel - the country with those players whose combined monetary bid is highest (to subsidise the travel of those coming from abroad) should host it, methinks. Exactly how the bids would be made, I'm not certain.

It would be an amazing experience, for sure. I think many of the world's top players would pay a fair bit to enter, if push came to shove - I know I would.

Anyway - keep up the good work and I'll see you both in Blackpool next month.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Sun Blindness penalty doesn't seem to warrant taking the time to swing the attack to the N-S axis, does it?

Loved the notion of putting ASL World Championship tickets in chocolate bars. Some poor kid from Birmingham would find it, show up, and Shock The World.

For bonus cross-cultural tie-in points, he could be deaf, non-verbal, and blind. Elton John could play Toby Pilling, in spangly high heeled boots.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A rupture in the Tuomo-continuum?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for another entertaining episode!

Regarding your thoughts on arranging an 'ASL Champion of the World' event, I remember a discussion I had over a decade ago (I think with Peter Struijf), about whether some kind of event like the one you describe could ever be feasible. I seem to recall being invited to a friendly gathering of a few top European players for some gaming but not being able to make it - that's the most that transpired.

My own suggestion would look something like a tennis championship - use the AREA (or similar) rating to invite the top 16 active players in the world. Top up that group from another 16 who can be the winners (or top runners-up, if someone already invited has won) of a selected group of tournaments.

Regarding travel - the country with those players whose combined monetary bid is highest (to subsidise the travel of those coming from abroad) should host it, methinks. Exactly how the bids would be made, I'm not certain.

It would be an amazing experience, for sure. I think many of the world's top players would pay a fair bit to enter, if push came to shove - I know I would.

Anyway - keep up the good work and I'll see you both in Blackpool next month.
Sounds like Gary Trezza’s ‘Sweet Sixteen’. 16 players took about year to play each other at various tournaments and FtF. Some of the games were ‘double jeopardy’ and counted for two tournaments at once. I played Paul Sidhu in the final, Paul Won.

One of my games Chris Spell flew in town so we set up a game and Matt Book came by as a LOS and rules judge. In another I managed a win against JR Tracy when we conveniently met at Albany for a ‘double jeopardy’ battle for both tournaments at once.
If I remember correctly a believe the game against Paul was also for two tournaments at once, kinda fun.
Despite the chaos, Gary kinda called the shots and the players made it happen, self organizing.

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
With regard to an ASL world championship, I am curious as to why some top players won't play VASL? That eliminates the need to worry about travel costs etc and might give us lesser mortals the chance to learn something!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada

I really appreciate the analysis by Rob. one suggestion for future armour fest is this one: https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=56349
That's a good one. I'd play it in a second.

But then I like tanks,...so,....

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
One thought I had on the world championship would similar to the "Ryder's Cup" we copied for golf in Saudi Arabia. For those who do not know the tournament is Us vs planet earth.

In the preliminary rounds each country/region could host a couple or three qualifying tournaments (perhaps via VASL) with an entrance fee of $xx. This money would be used to subsidize the flights. For the US they would qualify perhaps eight players, if there is interest enough. Other regions (Canada, UK, EU and Asia/Oceania) would qualify two players each. If there are not eight US players, non-US players could be dragooned and made honourary yanks for the tournament (surprisingly, we came up short on US players in Saudi every year).

In the tournament the US players are matched by their records (AREA, ROAR, etc.) in a single elimination tournament. After the eight games are complete the 'cup' goes to the nation with the most wins - ie: World or US. In case of a tie a 9th game is played by two designated or otherwise anointed players.

Two cents (or shillings)

EDIT: Another option is to play a single elimination tournament with the last man standing being the winner.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob MacGinley's great analysis and history accompanies our playing of this journal scenario.

We also chat about how the ASL Champion of the World might be figured out!

You guys were right in the post game analysis, Germans could/should have swept up to down or down to up. The main reason is it only engages a portion of the defence, not the whole firing line. The other is this allows more concentrated firepower on the less targets on the one flank and also works well with the sun blindness.
I suggest a very basic blocks, lines and arrows plan for any ASL scenario. First look at the battle in the simplest visualization possible, forget all the complicated ASL crap and think BL&As. Then formulate the ASL part. Don’t lose sight of a simple solution for a complicated problem.

Last edited: