50mm Mortar Hits then rolls snakes on Effects

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A German 50mm mortar gets a hit with Rate (cdr 2, wdr 4)
for the effects it rolls snakes.

We applied C1.53 and treated this as a critical: reversed TEM and
doubled firepower. Did we mess this up?

-Confused taking "Tavrontis Bridge"

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yep, ya messed it up :D

A Critical Hit requires snakes (for mortar and VTT) on the To Hit roll, not the effects roll, so your mortar didnt score a CH.

Ive never been overly fond of those light mortars. They are high risk SAN activators with little chance of any return value if the defender is in anything other than OG.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know - I read the CH rules a few weeks ago

I discinctly remember the rule saying that a CH is if yoou roll a 2 on the Area target type, or the Vehicle target type.

It also explicitly said a CH is for HE if you roll it on the IFT (which must be the effects roll and not the to hit roll)

I always was going to look that up in more detail since that is NOT how I ever played it. But the staement was ptretty clear

I think it was referring to OBA - which does not have a to hit (but it was qualified with a phrase that made that clear)

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:
You know - I read the CH rules a few weeks ago

I discinctly remember the rule saying that a CH is if yoou roll a 2 on the Area target type, or the Vehicle target type.
Correct.

It also explicitly said a CH is for HE if you roll it on the IFT (which must be the effects roll and not the to hit roll).
...only if using IFT equivalent like many light AA guns have and OBA as you noted.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pzkfw5g said:
...only if using IFT equivalent like many light AA guns have and OBA as you noted.
Critical hits are NA to weapons using IFE.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bryan Holtby said:
Yep, ya messed it up :D

A Critical Hit requires snakes (for mortar and VTT) on the To Hit roll, not the effects roll, so your mortar didnt score a CH.

Ive never been overly fond of those light mortars. They are high risk SAN activators with little chance of any return value if the defender is in anything other than OG.
I really like using them against units in Woods cause that -1 airburst is lots of fun on the effects roll. I also like using them against vehicles. I don't know how many times I have knocked out or immobilized tanks with these little mtrs. I even had my only Panther immobilized, in one scenario, and he was way out of position. You talk about tears, I am still not over that one. :(

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my best-ever ASL moments was Shocking a Panther with a Brit 51mm Lt Mtr in Driel Team; it was eventually killed through UK.

:lol: