#50: Commander for a Day

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished watching this.

As there was some discussion about the "commander-for-a-day," I thought I'd offer the following observations of his status around the time that his Location became Encircled.

Although the Location with the 10-2 was Encircled, heroic units do not suffer Encirclement penalties (A7.7). In fact, I'm not sure whether he would have been wounded to begin with, as his ML would have been 10, not 9, when he checked Morale. (I couldn't see the MC DR.)

Had he been subject to the movement penalty for Encirclement, he would not have been able to advance over the wall (from I7 to H6, IIRC), as he would not have enough MF to do so (A17.2). However, because he wasn't subject to Encirclement, he could advance for 2 MF (1 MF for wall; 1 MF for Open Ground), in which case he would not become CX, as he was marked.

That said, the leader could have taken the BAZ with him, although in this case, it would constitute an advance vs difficult terrain (A4.72), because he would lose a MF because his IPC is zero (A4.42). In this case, he would become CX.

I know, elementary stuff, but doubly important in such a small scenario.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
50 down, another million to go!

I think the scenario is a good intro to Chapter W. As Dave said, except for the HEAT rule for the BAZ, it’s
equivalent to US v Russians (sans Human Wave) in Light Woods.

Both Rally Points (15 and 17) are good value, particularly if you have Forgotten War and are a bit
intimidated by the scenarios in that module. One of the packs (17 iirc) have several scenarios featuring
the Chinese, again with a gradient of rules difficulty.

BTW, only elite NK can Deploy (W6.1). I don’t think it would have made any difference. I think Martin’s
upfront defence was doomed by Dave’s very methodical first turn. It seems to me that a first turn rush by the
NK against that defence could have been disastrous.

I loved the Mr./Mr. ASL-style. Thank you gents for another very enjoyable episode. I look forward to the completion
of Illuminating Rounds’ first century!

indy

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Love the idea of a "Cheater's game."

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think the scenario is a good intro to Chapter W. As Dave said, except for the HEAT rule for the BAZ, it’s
equivalent to US v Russians (sans Human Wave) in Light Woods.

Both Rally Points (15 and 17) are good value, particularly if you have Forgotten War and are a bit
intimidated by the scenarios in that module. One of the packs (17 iirc) have several scenarios featuring
the Chinese, again with a gradient of rules difficulty.

indy
Agreed. The RPT142 is a good intro to Chapter W. I also agree that the scenarios in Rally Points 15 and 17 offer players a more approachable means of exploring the KW than most of the scenarios in Forgotten War.

Although it's big, I felt that WO28 Dean's Defiance was likewise a good intro. It stars the NKPA too. And WO28 also features a "10-3" American leader, and the same dud-prone BAZ. Where it differs is in having a "super" BAZ and some armour for the T-34s to shoot at.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have played 8 out of the 10 scenarios on Rally Point 15.

Commander for a Day is not bad - but I'd recommend the following if you are not going for a playthrough of the pack:
Volunteers Became Scarce RPT141
Got Me a Tank RPT144
Bouncing Check RPT145
Fish to Fry RPT147

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The US equivalent TV show was called The Newlywed Game. Great stuff.

Martin's beard! Makes him a totally different man! Somehow... scruffy and disreputable. Probably flaunting the fact that he's in the middle of enjoying his summer vacation, and why not.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another good episode, looking forward to the coffee mugs ( shame about the t shirts..)

Tuomo, when are you posting your final game ?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We haven't started it yet; hopefully in the next few days. It'll maybe take two sessions; both Mr. Lukkari and I are cagey enough to hit the pause button in mid-game if things are going against us. Sudden stomach aches, spouses who need our attention, sunspots causing internet connectivity problems, the opportunities are endless.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
We haven't started it yet; hopefully in the next few days. It'll maybe take two sessions; both Mr. Lukkari and I are cagey enough to hit the pause button in mid-game if things are going against us. Sudden stomach aches, spouses who need our attention, sunspots causing internet connectivity problems, the opportunities are endless.
Well normally you just claim you have to work.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Well normally you just claim you have to work.
This suggests one of you is disconnected from the Tuomo hive mind. Both of you please report to the re-education center nearest you for examination and reprogramming. -- jim

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand.

Ownership of one also likened to standing in a cold shower tearing up money.

Best left as a dream that one Dave 😁

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand.

Ownership of one also likened to standing in a cold shower tearing up money.

Best left as a dream that one Dave 😁
Depends.

Dave's Überboat would be doing brisk Channel-crossing trade at present. And with the way things are going at the moment, Dave could even offer his vessel's services to Border Force. But given Dave's preference for desert over seaborne-landing scenarios, maybe he should limit his ambitions to owning a Pink Panther.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As there was some discussion about the "commander-for-a-day," I thought I'd offer the following observations of his status around the time that his Location became Encircled.

Although the Location with the 10-2 was Encircled, heroic units do not suffer Encirclement penalties (A7.7). In fact, I'm not sure whether he would have been wounded to begin with, as his ML would have been 10, not 9, when he checked Morale. (I couldn't see the MC DR.)
Cheers Chris. I rolled a 5 on the 12+3 shot, and Martin rolled a 10 (I had to check the log file!) so, he was wounded for sure :)
Had he been subject to the movement penalty for Encirclement, he would not have been able to advance over the wall (from I7 to H6, IIRC), as he would not have enough MF to do so (A17.2).
So - you're right about the encirclement, which thankfully didn't change anything, and as you say, the wound now brings his IPC down to 0, giving 2MF Now this is interesting. We discussed this at the time and decided that as he wasn't declaring double time, but subject to minimum move which would CX him, he's still ok to move one hex anywhere. The only exception to the one hex move seems to be if you're carrying a SW that brings your movement down to 0, which is pretty hard to do, in the rules sense of things.

However, because he wasn't subject to Encirclement, he could advance for 2 MF (1 MF for wall; 1 MF for Open Ground), in which case he would not become CX, as he was marked.

That said, the leader could have taken the BAZ with him, although in this case, it would constitute an advance vs difficult terrain (A4.72), because he would lose a MF because his IPC is zero (A4.42). In this case, he would become CX.
Right. And because he did take the BAZ, he was marked as CX and everything was right in the world :)
I know, elementary stuff, but doubly important in such a small scenario.
👍

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Right. And because he did take the BAZ, he was marked as CX and everything was right in the world :)
Possibly. ;)

I reviewed the log again, and I couldn't see where the heroric 10-2 made a Wound-Severity dr, as per A15.2. He may well have died earlier when initially wounded. A.2 may have worked for both parties where this guy was concerned.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I reviewed the log again, and I couldn't see where the heroric 10-2 made a Wound-Severity dr, as per A15.2. He may well have died earlier when initially wounded. A.2 may have worked for both parties where this guy was concerned.
You made me double-check! :unsure:

So, he withdrew from CC, into I7, and wasn't wounded at that point. Then in Allied t2 prep he fires the baz with a 2,5 - hitting the turret, needing 5 TK, and rolling a 5, modified to a 7. In the Russian Final Fire phase J7 attacks with the 12+3, rolling a 5, for the 1mc, against the 10-2 and the 666. Martin rolled 5,5, so wounds, and rolls a 1 on the wound check, then a 6 for the 1MC on the pinned 666, breaking them, too. There was then a bunch of ineffective fire from the T34 and squads adjacent. In the rout phase he loses his 666 for FTR and the wounded ldr gets out to H6, CX'ing in the process.

The server/log file got a bit messed up here because there was a concealed unit in G6ish, that I search for (rolling a 1 followed by a 1 for search casualties) but essentially at that point I was able to jump in and finish him off in CC.

It's not often it all seems to be correct - but this one I think was ok! :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the wounded Hero was originally a 10-2, wouldn't he still have a -1 leadership that he could apply to the 666 so that it wouldn't break on a 1MC DR of 6?