15)The Red Badge of Courage (1951)
16)Yellow Neck (1955)
17)Friendly Persuasion (1956)
18)The Searchers (1956)
19)Raintree County (1957)
20)The Proud Rebel (1958)
21)The Horse Soldiers (1959)
22)The Jayhawkers (1959)
23)An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (1962)
24)Johnny Shiloh (1963)
25)Rio Conchos (1964)
26)Major Dundee (1965)
27)Shenandoah (1965)
28)Alvarez Kelly (1966)
29)The Desperados Through Texas (1968)
30)The Undefeated (1969)
31)The Beguiled (1970)
32)Rio Lobo (1970)
33)The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
34)Roots (1977)
35)The Private History of a Campaign that Failed (1981)
36)The Blue and the Gray (1982)
37)Uncle Tom's Cabin (1987)
38)Glory (1989)
39)Civil War Diary (1990)
40)The Civil War (1990)
41)Dances With Wolves (1990)
42)The Last of Mrs. Lincoln (1991)
43)The Killing Box (1993)
44)Gettysburg (1993)
45)Guns of Honor (1994)
46)Rewriting History (1995)
47)Andersonville (1996)
48)The Night Lincoln Was Shot (1998)
49)The Hunley (1999)
50)Ride With the Devil (1999)
51)American Outlaws (2001)
52)Gods and Generals (2003)

Mark
Deo Vindice

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
I'm hard pressed to think of one you missed. This list is very comprehensive!

Please add:

"Uncivil War Birds" (1946): As Civil War breaks out, the Three Stooges decide to join the army, but the battle lines are redrawn when Moe and Larry join the Union and Curly enlists with the Confederates.

"Uncivil Warriors" (1935): The Stooges are Union soldiers who pretend they are Confederates. (I.e., they're spies.)

JS

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
I'm hard pressed to think of one you missed. This list is very comprehensive!

Please add:

"Uncivil War Birds" (1946): As Civil War breaks out, the Three Stooges decide to join the army, but the battle lines are redrawn when Moe and Larry join the Union and Curly enlists with the Confederates.

"Uncivil Warriors" (1935): The Stooges are Union soldiers who pretend they are Confederates. (I.e., they're spies.)

JS
Never knew the Stooges made a War movie..............:D cool.

Mark
Deo Vindice

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent list, Mark. One addition that until I recently I wasn't aware of: Drums in the Deep South (1951). I bought it at Wal-Mart for a dollar. Well, it was worth that much at least. Kinda of corny, but it does have some good moments.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nice list. On a sidenote, I bought and saw Gods and General and didn't find it that enjoyable, unlike Gettysburg.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
Nice list. On a sidenote, I bought and saw Gods and General and didn't find it that enjoyable, unlike Gettysburg.
I loved it! But then my family is from Fredericksburg and I went to High School near Manassas, so most of the movie is around where I used to live. The best part for me is when R E Lee looks out over Fredericksburg and gives a great speech about it being home.

JS

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen the second one but not the first. It's a hoot, as expected from the kings of comedy!

JS
I've seen them both. What happens is Curly goes one direction to join and Larry and Moe go another and they come back together wearing different uniforms. It is a hoot. It is funniest when they have to pretend to capture each other to keep them out of prison camp.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by RichardS
I've seen them both. What happens is Curly goes one direction to join and Larry and Moe go another and they come back together wearing different uniforms. It is a hoot. It is funniest when they have to pretend to capture each other to keep them out of prison camp.
You can't go wrong with the Stooges.

JS

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
I think the fact that it concentrated less on action is why it wasn't as good. I'm still waiting for the special edition, with the longer version of Chancellorsville.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can't go wrong with the Stooges.

JS

I have several CDs with all of the movies of the Stooges. Probably the greatest comedy you could ever find. This junk now a days is gross

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
I think the fact that it concentrated less on action is why it wasn't as good. I'm still waiting for the special edition, with the longer version of Chancellorsville.
I certainly have no objection to a longer version of Chancellorsville, but feel that the movie had plenty of action. I've watched Jackson's charge at Chancellorsville over and over. My neighbors can always tell by the Rebel yells when his corps emerges from the treeline division by division! Come to think of it, I'm overdue for another viewing!

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I certainly have no objection to a longer version of Chancellorsville, but feel that the movie had plenty of action. I've watched Jackson's charge at Chancellorsville over and over. My neighbors can always tell by the Rebel yells when his corps emerges from the treeline division by division! Come to think of it, I'm overdue for another viewing!
I think the movie had enough action, but there was so much non-action that it needs more to balance out. Also, I don't like the music in GandG as much as in Gettysburg. I was very moved by Gettysburg's music. While there were a few songs in the prequel that were good, I loved every song in Gettysburg. My favorite is the one they play as Armistead charges the Stone Wall. Very powerful stuff.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
I think the movie had enough action, but there was so much non-action that it needs more to balance out. Also, I don't like the music in GandG as much as in Gettysburg. I was very moved by Gettysburg's music. While there were a few songs in the prequel that were good, I loved every song in Gettysburg. My favorite is the one they play as Armistead charges the Stone Wall. Very powerful stuff.
I'll have to check the music out.

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had no idea there was so many. I rented a civil war time period movie today I had never heard of, "Wicked Spring", haven't watched it yet so I don't know if its any good or not.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Brad Ritter
I had no idea there was so many. I rented a civil war time period movie today I had never heard of, "Wicked Spring", haven't watched it yet so I don't know if its any good or not.
I saw that movie and didn't care for it. Pretty slow. Its the first independent film I've seen in a while and it reminds me why I don't rent them.

Reaction score
I'm not meaning to nit pick, but here's a few you missed.......

Journey to Shiloh

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Long Riders

Ride With The Devil

Cold Mountain

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I'm not meaning to nit pick, but here's a few you missed.......

Journey to Shiloh

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Long Riders

Ride With The Devil

Cold Mountain
Ride with the Devil is #50 on Mark's list.

Is The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly a WBTS movie? I haven't seen it in years. Is he a returning soldier or what?

I just noticed that one of my favorites, Shenendoah, did not make the list.

Col. Kelley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You left out "Band of Angels" (1957) - starring Clark Gable, Sidney Poitier and Yvonne DeCarlo.

You also did not point out that "Ride With the Devil" was suppressed by its distributor (released to only 200 theaters nationwide for only three days), or that they "edited" the artwork prior to release of the video to remove Jeffrey Wright (Black Confederate guerrilla) from the cover art.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Col. Kelley said:
You left out "Band of Angels" (1957) - starring Clark Gable, Sidney Poitier and Yvonne DeCarlo.

You also did not point out that "Ride With the Devil" was suppressed by its distributor (released to only 200 theaters nationwide for only three days), or that they "edited" the artwork prior to release of the video to remove Jeffrey Wright (Black Confederate guerrilla) from the cover art.
My bad. I did forget to point out those facts.
I have been trying to find that video at stores for some time now. Nobody has it. But, "They can order it for you".

Mark
Deo Vindice