"5 in 45" CMAK Tourney.

Waleed

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Everyone, hope all is well.

I would like to run a Tourney here - loads has changed over the last 2 years, so if someone could point me in the direction for permission etc.

Tourney would involve 32 players in 5 rounds KO.
Jan - May in 1945 Italy.

Pairings drawn out of a hat at random for each round by a senior GameSquad CM Official.

The first named picks all the parameters and houserules he wants including the following FIXED requisites - the second named picks sides. Each round is 3 months maximum - with NO DEADLINE extensions.

Requisites for each round are:
QB EDIT - Human purchase only.
1500pts
Medium Map
CMAK Italy Region
Year 1945

R1 January
R2 February
R3 (QF) March
R4 (SF) April
R5 (Final) May

Regards,
Waleed.

Players so far 7

Andre
Doodlebug
Iron Mike USMC
KG_AirborneBob
Taktik
Tripps
Waleed

EDIT - although it'll be a different set-up - I'll post afresh after my PERIMETER Tourney game v POS is over...!

Last edited:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Waleed I would love to pick the names out of the proverbial hat!

Thank you for stepping up at the plate, and running this tourney.

As soon as some names appear I will start a tourney page.

2054172:smoke:

Waleed

Reaction score
Country
ll
Excellent - I am ready for the long haul.

Over the last 13 months looks like many have stopped playing and only the hard core remain (or are coming back) who are fully booked with games!

...and as this is a QB Tourney, will I be allowed to play in it?

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Excellent - I am ready for the long haul.

Over the last 13 months looks like many have stopped playing and only the hard core remain (or are coming back) who are fully booked with games!

...and as this is a QB Tourney, will I be allowed to play in it?
why not? If all maps are fair and both players are ok with it.:smoke:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
LOL ... even that GOH is up running with no taker ... not even 1 :)

45-5 will be way too tough :)

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
nope, it is over already. OK, I will post a new thread in the main forum then.

Waleed

Reaction score
Country
ll
Excellent, thnaks Andre...

I'll give it another 3 weeks - if I cannot get enough I'll try something different -

...eventually I'll hit upon something that will draw ennough players to participate :D

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Interesting idea but very poor format for a tournament, in my opinion, which may account for the low interest.

There are hundreds of quality scenarios in the database at TPG and TSD2 - I'd suggest finding some with good reviews and using them as the basis for the tournament, for several reasons.

a) it means everyone is playing the same scenario, thus cutting down on the luck factor imposed by random maps - one skilled player being handed a mostly open map to attack over would be unfair if everyone else had better terrain to assault through - and yes, even with the same parameters selected in the map editor, the terrain can vary wildly

b) you would be supporting the work of scenario designers active in the community as well as the two brilliant websites which host their work

c) There is mixed opinion on which side - Axis or Allies - the historical equipment lists in 1945 would favour

d) Do you want the tournament to test the ability to play, or to purchase? Last time I checked, it wasn't called Shopping Mission.

Realizing this is all in fun and not to meant taken seriously, calling it a "tournament" nonetheless has people doing just that. If you have 20 players, what I would do in round 1 is take one of the selected scenarios and then pit the 10 German players' final scores against the Allied player's final scores in order to make your first elimination. That way everyone has an equal chance to progress to the next round. It also means you don't necessarily need a "balanced" scenario since the goal is not necessarily to win, but to beat everyone else playing that same side in the other matches. This makes the game fun even for the fellow that knows he is losing towards the end of the game and prevents him from simply throwing in the towel - he could progress to the next round with a score of 21 out of 100 if it is better than half the other guys playing that same side.

Ditto round 2, where you would have 5 Axis players and 5 Allied players.

Whittle down to the top 4 from there in the same manner, giving you two semi-final games.

Actually, I think at this point you could probably do a point purchase, but have all four finalist players play on the same map. Make it a custom mirrored map, meeting engagement, with restrictions laid out before hand on purchase. And instead of a semi-final round followed by a final round, have two final games.

Game 1

Player A (Axis) vs Player B (Allies) - preselected map
Player C (Axis) vs Player D (Allies) - same map

Game 2
Player A (Allies) vs Player D (Axis) - same map
Player C (Allies) vs Player B (Axis) - same map

Use the same map for all four games, and the player with the highest cumulative score after both games is the ultimate winner.

Last edited:

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
im not a big fan of random maps in a tournament either.. :)

I also prefer attacking and defending on the same map, even against a different player - ME's never really tickled my fancy ;)

In saying that, im 50/50, i like tournaments, but not a big fan ok AK - altho it was the deserts i never enjoyed, so if it was Italy you could probably count me in :salute: