5-4-7 Volksgrenadier Squad

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't seem it gets us much past the 447 for all the points made previously. It feels a bit chrome-ish. I would not vote for adding another counter type with limited incremental value.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

No as a few have mentioned....... there is zero need..... does not bring anything to the table..... We have (more than) enough squad types for the germans.....

Peace

Roger

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gotta agree with Roger here. Not only that, it's PITA to rearrange my storage system for a few scenarios.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Some have posted that Rocket counters might need to be made as well.

Just replying to what someone said.
Oh OK I did not understand. If there is a need, I have no problem adding counters. It would seem to me that there is not much of a need for rocket counters.

Do not get me wrong, I am a counter slut. But when it comes to adding squad types, I am in the "we have enough" crowd.

Peace

Roger

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh OK I did not understand. If there is a need, I have no problem adding counters. It would seem to me that there is not much of a need for rocket counters.

Do not get me wrong, I am a counter slut. But when it comes to adding squad types, I am in the "we have enough" crowd.

Peace

Roger
Just got a shipment in from the Gamer's Armory.....

ASLSK EP#1 = 2 full counter sheets.

Pointe du Hoc 2nd Ed = 1 full counter sheet. Navy destroyers...

SF Pack II, small counter sheet, BOATS....

Yeah, I'm a counter slut as well......

Oh, also got MANY maps and more counters in the FTC pack 4 (the one that has all the Russian factions fighting)......

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
what I find odd is that I am completely indifferent about plane counters. I just do not care if I have all the different FB counters out there.

Peace

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
what I find odd is that I am completely indifferent about plane counters. I just do not care if I have all the different FB counters out there.

Roger
Same here. I can take them or leave them.

I might play a scenario with Air Support every 1 out of 40 scenarios, so I'm completely hohum about all the TPP aircraft counters floating around out there and haven't ever punched one.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Same here. I can take them or leave them.

I might play a scenario with Air Support every 1 out of 40 scenarios, so I'm completely hohum about all the TPP aircraft counters floating around out there and haven't ever punched one.
Got to say that I'm the opposite. I just loved the Aircraft counters in Operation Cobra and Blood & Jungle from BFP. Those '44 and '45 Aircraft with the rockets really add to the system IMO. I'm always using them too. The Marine aircraft with the rockets are continually being used in my Iwo CG. The extra counters help me keep track of which aircraft have rockets/bombs/napalm. It could get very confusing if I was just using the generic MMP counters.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
BFP's rules section on rocket armament for airsupport is essential too. Otherwise I would have counters with rocket depictions and scenarios where they are used; but I wouldn't know how to use them.

Its a real plus to have a comprehensive rules section for this. My Iwo CG just wouldn't be the same without it.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the idea of the 5-4-7. The 5-4-8 seems too powerful for a VG squad. In addition to the MP-44s, the Germans also had some semi-auto rifles, (not too many though), and were still cranking out sub-machineguns in 44 and '45.

The problem is, what about the thousands of existing VolksGrenadier scenarios?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In addition to the MP-44s, the Germans also had some semi-auto rifles, (not too many though), and were still cranking out sub-machineguns in 44 and '45.
They were cranking out jet fighters and Tiger tanks, too, but so what? It doesn't mean anything if basic training courses are slashed from 16 weeks to 8 weeks (as they were by 1944), and the draft age is 16 years old. All that means is that when the first Bren Gun, Browning, or DP opens up, every Landser in the squad puts his face in the dirt and waits to throw his hands up when Tommy, Ivan or a G.I. comes running over to mop up. Higher rate of fire is no substitute for training or battle experience.

There's simply very little rationale to increase any of the German squad capabilities in 1944-45 if all you have to point to are a couple of extra machine pistols, when so many of the soft factors suggest that the Germans were making do with much less.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Given that the Germans are the main "cannon fodder" in the ASL system, one can never have enough of squad types for them. I think a late war, second line category of German troops, would be a valuable addition. If there is sufficient historical evidence in terms of weapons used, go for it (for instance in a HASL).

Likewise, the possibility of a late 44- 45 second line Russian squad (4-3-7) to get rid of the dreaded 4-2-6 in late war scenarios may be considered (given the low replacement rate of Soviet troops and average experience of the foot soldiers at the time).

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They were cranking out jet fighters and Tiger tanks, too, but so what? It doesn't mean anything if basic training courses are slashed from 16 weeks to 8 weeks (as they were by 1944), and the draft age is 16 years old. All that means is that when the first Bren Gun, Browning, or DP opens up, every Landser in the squad puts his face in the dirt and waits to throw his hands up when Tommy, Ivan or a G.I. comes running over to mop up. Higher rate of fire is no substitute for training or battle experience.

There's simply very little rationale to increase any of the German squad capabilities in 1944-45 if all you have to point to are a couple of extra machine pistols, when so many of the soft factors suggest that the Germans were making do with much less.
Without starting a flame war, thank you for making my point, the 5-4-8 is too strong, a 5-4-7 with an ELR of 2 or 3 would better depict a half trained group with new toys....