5-4-6 American Squads Broken Side Morale

Kihmbar

Reaction score
I'm sure how I got these, but I was pulling 5-4-6 American 2nd line squads for a scenario design and saw that some of them had a 7 broken side morale and some had an 8 broken side morale. I had more of the 7 broken side morale counters, so I am assuming this is the correct broken side morale for 2nd line American squads. Does anyone know where I got the ones with 8 broken side morale? Also, are these something that almost everyone has or is it a long out of print relic?

All that is off topic for why I posted in this forum. I'm considering giving the Americans a broken side morale of 8 because I'm using these 2nd line units to represent elite units who are 4 days out of supply, cold, and hungry. I was toggling between lower B/X#s, Unit Substitution, and Ammunition Shortage (similar to the ABtF rules) or just lowering the squads to 2nd line and giving them a better broken side morale. I think the 2nd line units work better for the effect I'm going for, but I welcome any suggestions.

Since none of the scenarios I've seen have represented the units by their broken side, I am thinking the best way to make the broken side morale 8 would be with an SSR. Is there a clearer way to do this?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
A SSR is the best way to go. Just be sure to explicitly spell out that 546 have the increased 8 broken morale otherwise a +1 to broken US morale will cause problems with ERLing to 536 or BHing to 666/667, which may not be what you want.

As for the source of 546/8, my guess is KGP II. 10 were in KGP II (AA-JJ), replacement counters came in DB.

The idea seems quite reasonable, though SSRing 666/8 to be 666/7 would be an alternative. It depends upon whether you want initial FP or quicker recovery.

Kihmbar

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and the references.

I think raising the 546 broken side morale to 8 by SSR would work best because I am looking for troops that bounce back more quickly and also do not have the higher firepower (because they are low on ammunition and have been for a few days).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback and the references.

I think raising the 546 broken side morale to 8 by SSR would work best because I am looking for troops that bounce back more quickly and also do not have the higher firepower (because they are low on ammunition and have been for a few days).
this sounds entirely plausible overall.... I'd be interested to see the actual game effect, although I think it would be a lot as indicated by Paul, broken troops will recover fairly quickly ( assuming they can get out of DM situations.). It would require a design effort to ensure they can have adequate rout paths, and / or low level leaders to do the rallying. The SSR is the right way to address it.

KRL, Jon H