#48: IR 2021 Quarter Finals

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Check out 4 playings of MM67: Urdaneta Ambush for the quarter finals of the IR tourney, and our usual ASL musings.

Martin's camera feed wasn't great, but he sharpens during the middle - if only the same could have been said for my play last week!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can't buy a win Dave? Not true - chuck me £20 quid and I'll let you win one at Blackpool in Nov :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was watching Martin's game against Tuomo and I did think Martin's US had it in the bag after their turn 1 because the Japanese defense let the US come onboard without much first fire. Then of course the poop hit the fan.

Oh, and Martin's big stack on the US left wasn't hurt by the Panjis - they advanced into them, which doesn't cause a MC. Rather, Tuomo un-HIP'd a 447 right next to them at the end of US turn 1 so as to deny them concealment, then Prep Fired in IJA turn 1 at 8+1:

With the dice doing this:

Which had this effect:

And suddenly the game changed. I sure wouldn't have taken that Prep Fire shot, but it sure worked out for my Finnish Brother.

I really thought the IJA needed to capitalize on their chance to hurt the US right from the get-go, so my defense was farther up-front. The whole idea was to take out as many US tanks as possible using the Japanese infantry, keeping the Japanese tanks HIP in the rear as long as possible so as to force the US tanks to keep moving forward on the road (as per SSR). Heck, if the IJA infantry have already killed two Shermans, let that third one get off the board on turn 4, leaving the three Chi-Has to fend off the US infantry.

That meant putting TH Heroes on the road so the US tanks would be forced to run into them; the THHs are great in this situation. But to protect them from being discovered by anything prior to the US tanks rolling over them, you need to use the Panjis along the road (as well as the IJA infantry lining the road, and an initial MMG firelane down the road) to strip the US infantry away from the tanks. And to keep the US from Reconning By Fire and discovering the THHs (which is damnably easy to do), you need all three mortars to fire smoke just ahead of the US tanks. That guy in Y8 at the top of the picture is holding two MTRs because if you have two, surely one would have Smoke, and that's indeed how it came about.

It certainly was fun planning all that deviousness, as the scenario is tailor-made to reward it. I don't imagine it was nearly as fun playing the US in this one as it was being the Japanese.

Attachments

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Well, here is a video proving you will not see TuomoFest the PTO edition anytime soon - as I suck in PTO and need a bunch of good rolls to pull it off. I really have played Panjis only once or twice before so I was very happy to get something out of it.

My plan was to keep those Jap tanks hidden until turn 3 or so and use Panjis and HIP to channel the US o the left side of the playing area inot the center. I hoped to achieve a situation where the first shots were against Sherman who was alone and would be alone for a while to ensure a kill as whit the Japanese TK numbers nothing is certain.

As it turned out I got two Shermans and was extremely lucky with the TK rolls when I sprung my trap, on kill, one shock followed by a kill right in the beginning.

Obviously Tom saw it otherwise - but we both managed a win so there are different approaches you can take for sure.

Regarding THAT GLORIUOS PREP FIRE SHOT situation analyzed by Tom above- I never figured there would be a huge stack to shoot at. So it was a really "high risk -low reward" kinda thing just going for it as the implications were huge. Or winging it as I had no clue what was going on. If I had rolled a 10 I would not be setting up for my semifinal game.

It was very enjoyable playing Martin. There is something to be said playing English (or half Welsh) gray haired gentlemen for sure.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I sure wouldn't have taken that Prep Fire shot, but it sure worked out for my Finnish Brother.
There's a subtle difference between being "Tuomo" and being "Natural Born Tuomo". You still need to molt some more it appears. -- jim

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was watching Martin's game against Tuomo and I did think Martin's US had it in the bag after their turn 1 because the Japanese defense let the US come onboard without much first fire. Then of course the poop hit the fan.
Wait, you had to "watch" Martin's game against Tuomo?!? I didn't think that's how Tuomo-ness worked. I thought it was more like the Christian Trinity or Quantum entanglement (Tuomo entanglement)? Wherein all Tuomos are one, yet separate, and experienced a common, connected existence. Apparently I still haven't grokked Tuomo-ness.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Wait, you had to "watch" Martin's game against Tuomo?!? I didn't think that's how Tuomo-ness worked. I thought it was more like the Christian Trinity or Quantum entanglement (Tuomo entanglement)? Wherein all Tuomos are one, yet separate, and experienced a common, connected existence. Apparently I still haven't grokked Tuomo-ness.
Well it is easier to say one watched the others play. Because, as proven above, it is next to impossible for a nonTuomo to understand what it actually means to be one.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Well it is easier to say one watched the others play. Because, as proven above, it is next to impossible for a nonTuomo to understand what it actually means to be one.
To be Tuomo is to be one with the universe. Tuomo's aren't limited to just the experiences of man. -- jim

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would have taken the 8+1 shot.

Sixty eight percent chance for a NMC or better, roughly 14% chance of Pin.

Your 447 should at worst stripe in defensive fire, then advance into the remaining Amis. You have a net +1 (or +2 if an Ami pins) for ambush and even without ambush are a minus two in HTH combat.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The alternative being to not shoot, hope the US gacks the 12+2 Dfire shot so you stay concealed, then advance in for an even better chance to Ambush.

Actually, if you're gonna HIP a 447 on that side, I'd put it in V4 where it could get an 8-2 first fire shot at any stack-moving Amis who thought they could zoom up the board while the coast was clear. Woulda worked here. The IJA only has 5 squads here and you really need to get your money's worth out of each; that's partly why I was surprised to see that squad of Tuomo's HIP on the board edge, where he didn't seem like he'd be in the thick of things. Shrug.

That's also why I was so annoyed when Dave vaporized one of my squads on IJA turn 1 with a snakes on the IFT resolution of a 75mm hit against a squad who had snuck up adjacent. I went from looking to score an early tank kill to being down a full squad. Ugh.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
that's partly why I was surprised to see that squad of Tuomo's HIP on the board edge, where he didn't seem like he'd be in the thick of things.
Well you make the dangerous assumption that I actually know what I am doing.

Seriously speaking I would make a very different setup now. I really did not appreciate dynamics of using Panjis as well as I do now after watching these games.