#42: The Lock of Colmar

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Another great episode. The different approaches to the scenario was interesting to see.

U5 Point D'Appui - pronounced pweh da-pwee: Support Point or Point of Support (literal translation)

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to hear Martin bemoan the movement potential of AFVs on the hill board. That was a very specific goal of the Korean hill boards, and I think we accomplished it, perhaps a little TOO well.

Nice interior defense in that game of Martin's. Looking at the end-of-game pic, it seems like the Allies could have used some of those to onboard infantry in the town proper. Shrug.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't have the scenario, so is there any restriction on setting up German AFVs on the big hill?
That rubble hex on the hill would be an excellent spot for the panther or two 5/8th concealment counters.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Glad to hear Martin bemoan the movement potential of AFVs on the hill board. That was a very specific goal of the Korean hill boards, and I think we accomplished it, perhaps a little TOO well.

Nice interior defense in that game of Martin's. Looking at the end-of-game pic, it seems like the Allies could have used some of those to onboard infantry in the town proper. Shrug.
When I played this as the attacking American's, my opponent set his Panther up on level 2 and then drove it up onto a level 3 hex in his first MPh. That thing can see everything up there and was a beast to deal with. It really limits the movement of the American armor up there. His coaxial MG was a pain as well. -- jim

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
When I played this as the attacking American's, my opponent set his Panther up on level 2 and then drove it up onto a level 3 hex in his first MPh. That thing can see everything up there and was a beast to deal with. It really limits the movement of the American armor up there. His coaxial MG was a pain as well. -- jim
German AFV cannot setup at level >= 2.

Lionel

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
German AFV cannot setup at level >= 2.

Lionel
My mistake as I had not read the card in a while. He set up on level one and moved to Level 3 on his turn. He was in the back of the upper map and had great coverage over much of the board up there. -- jim

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like scenarios with different viable options for the defense. Funny how these things come out when you get a critical mass of people talking about the same scenario. Wonder how many other scenarios have depths of subtlety that are waiting to be revealed.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I like scenarios with different viable options for the defense. Funny how these things come out when you get a critical mass of people talking about the same scenario. Wonder how many other scenarios have depths of subtlety that are waiting to be revealed.
The advantages of multiple playings by multiple people. 🤔

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
As I recall, his Panther ended up in 81CC4. From there, he sees right down the road making it hard for the Americans to assault out of there. He also locks down the whole bottom half of board 71. He has an LL gun shooting at large target Shermans with a 23TK. The only real weapon I could use against him was spotted fire from the Brandt mortar which needs a miracle to cause any damage and since it's Indirect Fire, even an immobilization result is effectively an NA since it doesn't force an Immobilization Task Check. From CC4, it has the option to back into CC5 which will reduce blind hexes by 2 hexes over level 1 terrain. With the orchards out season, basically everything is in that tanks view. -- jim

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The only real weapon I could use against him was spotted fire from the Brandt mortar which needs a miracle to cause any damage and since it's Indirect Fire, even an immobilization result is effectively an NA since it doesn't force an Immobilization Task Check.
I must be missing something here. According to my reading of D5.5, any non-CC attack resulting in Immobilization causes an ITC, unless the target vehicle was already bogged/immobilized, in which case the follow-up provisions apply; i.e. must be Direct Fire, etc.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I must be missing something here. According to my reading of D5.5, any non-CC attack resulting in Immobilization causes an ITC, unless the target vehicle was already bogged/immobilized, in which case the follow-up provisions apply; i.e. must be Direct Fire, etc.
My rust is showing. You're correct. I am thinking of the case where the AFV is already immobilized. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My rust is showing. You're correct. I am thinking of the case where the AFV is already immobilized. -- jim
So many rules, so few fully functioning neural pathways. Sigh.
Supposedly doing crossword puzzles keeps you mentally sharp. Why doesn't playing ASL do the same?🤔

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So many rules, so few fully functioning neural pathways. Sigh.
Supposedly doing crossword puzzles keeps you mentally sharp. Why doesn't playing ASL do the same?🤔
I don't play as much as I used to and I really need to read the rule book again as it has been a good while since my last reading. Too many other things I want to do though. Even though today is my first day of retirement, the list I have of things I want to do is pretty long. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I don't play as much as I used to and I really need to read the rule book again as it has been a good while since my last reading. Too many other things I want to do though. Even though today is my first day of retirement, the list I have of things I want to do is pretty long. -- jim
Well congratulations on your retirement!

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, congratulations!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
When I watched Lionel play this in the ASL Ring tourny last year he encicled the Germans in the rubble on the hill with the American mortar and then his tank on the hill firing at them.

I thought what great play.................none of you lot did it :)

I think you are wrong about the +1 to hit on the pf for conscripts Dave (1 hour in). Show me where in the rules that one is please.

When lockdown is over and you get to play FtF with Martin please take Monty with you. It looks like there is a good chance he will eat that carpet - still giving me headaches.

Many thanks for another fun episode.

Last edited:

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
“Is this the Golden Age of ASL ?”, Dave asks.
“That’s an interesting question”, Martin says.

It is.
One’s feeling is, ours is truly the Golden Age of ASL, indeed.

Spoilt gamers might feel otherwise, despite the fact they lack enough remaining lifetime to play all existing scenarios, both as defender and attacker.

What would they wish for ?
  • a definitive digital version of the rulebook, following a major overhaul, to include all Q&A in the rules they apply to
  • this rulebook would then be made available in other languages, too, say the ten most spoken languages in the world. This could attract a huge group of new players and help non-native English speakers to absorb the legalese of the ruleset
  • a wide availability of all ASL-modules, past and present, preferably at reasonable prices (no more “out of stock”)
  • a dedicated AI to act as online player, who could be at beginner’s, average or experienced level to make play challenging for all
  • a chatbot to rely upon to answer your rules questions, during play (no more lengthy interruptions to look up things, no room for discussion or doubt)
  • online tools to help you calculate DRM’s, LOS, etc. etc. automatically, during play

I’m fine with the way things are now, though.

And very grateful for the efforts of all who make VASSAL and VASL such a great tool to enjoy our common hobby. Otherwise, we’d all be still confined to our local group of players (if any).