macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

My favourite thing to do! next to finding time to play this game has another episode just released!!!

I actually listen to it twice cause I always get interrupted but love everyone's comments here on GS- they are also part of the enjoyment - so watch away and comment!!

Cheers

Rob 🤪

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It showed up in my youtube feed yesterday so I watched it.

I wonder why they don't post it here right away?

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good episode guys.

And now for the peanut gallery:

The number one thing that helps with a bridge crossing scenario is SMOKE.
This scenario will be pro-Finn if the Russian forgets about smoke
The ISU122 has s8 (s9 because of guards status). If you take the option with the gun it also has s8.
The Churchills have sM8 and SD6 and all the 628s are assault engineers so they have a smoke exponent of 2.

This scenario should open with a smoke round on the far side of one of the bridges. If you take the gun you can even consider an IF smoke round.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The to and fro in this scenario was interesting to watch. I am wondering if it would not be better to give one side the "balance" if the ROAR/Archive record is worse than 60/40. That may make for a better game by evening the odds a bit.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the Russian armor could come on via the top or bottom board edge? I recall them being able to get close enough to the bottom bridge in their first MPh for those smoke mortars to possibly be useful. Maybe I played it wrong?

Yes, I think people want to get all the TH modifiers correct, more than they want the result to be in their favor, partly because the game is so much about getting those things right. It's everybody against the rulebook in that sense, and the whole process of learning the game involves remembering what modifiers apply, and when.

At the very first Wild West Fest, I played Dade Cariaga in Armored Probe. It came down to the last CC and I thought I'd missed my number by 1 and lost, but he reminded me of the IJA -1 CC modifier, and took the loss as a classy gentleman with a clear conscience. Scruffy and unwholesome on the outside, but pure gold in his heart, that's Mr. Dade Cariaga.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The to and fro in this scenario was interesting to watch. I am wondering if it would not be better to give one side the "balance" if the ROAR/Archive record is worse than 60/40. That may make for a better game by evening the odds a bit.
I am currently training few new people to the game and I use scenarios with similar ROAR record as Red Churchills to train them. It is good fun as the games normally go to distance and I have to really work for it so they are exposed to the flow of the scenario and see different things happening. And the new guy wins a game sometimes.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It's everybody against the rulebook in that sense, and the whole process of learning the game involves remembering what modifiers apply, and when.
To me a good ASL game is a mutual learning experience and a challenge. I do not care about winning and losing too much nowadays.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It showed up in my youtube feed yesterday so I watched it.

I wonder why they don't post it here right away?
My usual way of preparing these is to spend a day or so editing and preparing the file for upload, then overnight I'll usually leave it to upload to youtube (it takes around 5-6 hours depending on the length) - but it's based predominantly on my bad internet upload speed (trust me, I'm on the absolute best plan I can get in this area, it's just not great). My phone actually has a better upload rate via 4g, but it means I can't take it upstairs for those lazy morning browsing sessions!

So - basically I'll try to remember to post the following day, but if there's stuff to do or I just forget, then - that's what happens.. The delay between waiting for the youtube upload is generally enough for me to forget unless I'm actually around when the upload finishes..

Anyway - feel free to post them here when they're live. I'm not precious about who does it - we love the comments and the chitchat they generate, so don't stop any of that!

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another interesting and entertaining episode! Thanks for that, and a happy belated birthday to Dave!

indy

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
By chance played FrF86 Belgian Tigers the other day which is also designed by Peter and Chris. It is another bridge crossing if Martin wants to try again :)

Many thanks for another fun episode.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I finally got around to playing this scenario. The Russians got crushed twice. It was over by turn 3 in each of two playings.
The second playing featured gusts at precisely the most in-opportune moment, followed by a '2' on a leader directed HMG shot by the Finns. There is a steep learning curve for the Russians on this one