#40: (Live) Black Day in Hatten

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I watched a bit.

I have to ask: what were you thinking taking a bounding fire shot with the TD on turn 1? +6 TH at 7 to 12 range means greater chance of something bad happening to you than Martin.

Neither of you seem to like half squads much. The 546s are begging to be deployed and used to strip concealment and draw fire. They can also threaten to search.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hate to second guess, but why not put a couple of big groups on opportunity fire and then send in half squads, then squads to draw fire, search etc.

It looked like Americans didn't really have a plan, while the Germans had a sound 'reverse slope' defence. Given the Yanks have to do a lot in a short time, they really need a plan.

Fun to watch still, and thanks for posting it.

Interesting map to fight over, too.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I LOVE to second guess :) Was wondering why the M18s didn't try s5 shots in the first MPh, especially after the smoke mortars failed so miserably. Too, I'd've thought that placing WP in front of the defenders instead of on top of them would have been more helpful, since the US could have used the cover to at least get into the front rank of buildings safely. True, the ? stacks wouldn't be revealed by the WP, but the real ones would be firing soon enough anyway :)

My wife thought maybe I was listening to music with my headphones because my head was bopping about. No, that was just me shaking my head at Dave's Bounding Fire shot that Adrian mentioned upthread :) Thank you, Dave, for giving us things to criticize :)

I've played this one twice and enjoyed it a lot both times. I didn't get a "Stalingrad" feel at all, but YMMV. There's so much cover out there with the Orchards and LV hindrance that the US can have a go at either flank if they want, stretching the defense and threatening to interdict the reinforcements.

Was really surprised by Martin's MMG shot from the steeple on turn 1; didn't realize that L2 location was there, since it didn't come into play in my two previous playings. And of course its cross-board shot was effective; seems like Dave's luck, especially with Rallies and Smoke and MCs (I guess that covers a lot), has been pretty bad here.

But yeah. Halfsquads, especially ML6 halfsquads running through Orchards and LV hindrances when there's No Quarter in effect.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I would second the use of Opp Fire and HS and would add:

• Dave could have made more use Inf Smoke. If a squad had 1 or 2 MF factor left over after a move or aslt mv placing smoke in their own or adjacent hex may have helped screen other squads.
  • If used with care the crew Smoke from the M18s may have also helped the infantry advance (noting that a dr1 or 2 is not to be counted on)
I would not have dashed the two M18s into the rear like that, at least not unsupported and probably no closer 3 hexes of Germans to reduce TH chances by the PFs and Psk. Those 76L guns and their HE could be "motivating" even without hitting.

JMO, YMMV

Congrats to Martin on the win. Fun to watch.

Last edited:

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Too, I'd've thought that placing WP in front of the defenders instead of on top of them would have been more helpful, since the US could have used the cover to at least get into the front rank of buildings safely. True, the ? stacks wouldn't be revealed by the WP, but the real ones would be firing soon enough anyway
The numbers say this is the wisest course:
1st shot has WP10 by SSR and then it is WP7.
base TH=7 +2 for smoke =9. If you fire at an unoccupied hex the TH DRM is +1 for LV. Success on a DR<=8
If you fire at a concealed German stack the TH DRM is +1 for LV +2 concealed. Success on a DR of <=6.
You may as well wait for the second shot before shooting at a concealed stack.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C 6.56 A target may not be acquired (or acquisition maintained) by firing SMOKE.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Without a load of smoke on the board the American 6 morale means a win for the Germans.

I think Dave had a brain freeze on that first tank shot. Must admit mine does the same to me sometimes. I make my opponent stop. I work out the shot and then go "no, that's fine, keep moving please".

Many thanks for another fun episode. I would have watched live but I am not on Facebook................

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks as if they were regularly forgetting the +1 LV hindrance which would apply on an initial shot when laying a firelane but not on any subsequent results from that FL once lain. Also the 1st WP shot by WP just resulted in a miss and loss of WP10 & as Bob Bendis pointed out would not have garnered an acquisition (as would any SMOKE round attempt). One can use an existing acquisition with an attempt to lay SMOKE but cannot gain/retain acquisition once that SMOKE shot has been made [EXC: If no SMOKE was available, thus No shot taken].

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Was watching it through and the German PAATC to do street fighting on US turn 3 is not a concealement loss. Martin would have stayed concealed even after the attack. He got it right and should not have listened to you Dave. :)

I think you missed the -2 modifier for being open topped as well. Street fighting against those TD's is just too easy if you get the ATMM - and well done to Martin for remembering to do that. I always forget...........

It would be base 5 for a squad +3 for ATMM +2 for open topped vehicle +1 street fighting ambush - 2 motion = 9 = most of the time a dead vehicle.

I think the CC with the DM US unit you can still attack but also count as a guard. You do not have to cancel the attack, just not withdraw from the melee - A11.2.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good catches, Joe - all spot on 👍

Looks as if they were regularly forgetting the +1 LV hindrance which would apply on an initial shot when laying a firelane but not on any subsequent results from that FL once lain. Also the 1st WP shot by WP just resulted in a miss and loss of WP10 & as Bob Bendis pointed out would not have garnered an acquisition (as would any SMOKE round attempt). One can use an existing acquisition with an attempt to lay SMOKE but cannot gain/retain acquisition once that SMOKE shot has been made [EXC: If no SMOKE was available, thus No shot taken].
I thought we were applying plenty of +1s, (they were certainly making my fire tricky) - but thanks though - we amost definitely missed a few.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Got round to watching the rest and if you enjoyed Lionel's the Lock of Colmar then he has another fun one that is being used in the Chicago VASL tourny:

FT222 Hetzer Butcher (my advice - play the Germans)

He's getting very good at designing scenarios.