#39: Eight Million Bayonets

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another very entertaining episode...I thought the ideas for MMP were very interesting.

I, too, would pay for personalised leaders.

BTW, Gerry is doing all of the work for Alberta Assault this year. During the AAR, I caught
myself hovering my mouse over top of a stack to see what was in it...doh!

Alberta can be a barren wasteland in February. It's a tropical -22 today. The forecast for
Wednesday is -3. If that holds, it will be open jackets and Speedos!

I'm looking forward to the live game on Thursday. I assume you will post a link to it on
aslscenarioarchive?

indy

PS: The audio level goes to 11(!) during the outro. Nearly blew my eardrums!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys. Want to hear what we think MMP could do to be even better?

News of the next livestream (twitch, this coming thursday 18th @ 2pm UK time/9am EST) - we're playing HF1 Black Day in Hatten.

Our first Nor'easter Pack was PDF only, no code to prevent copying, and we did fine. Then people can make their own VASL files separate from that. The majority of people in the hobby "support their local gunfighter" and make the purchase, 15.00 for 13 scenarios in this case, which we knew was lowballing it. People mostly realize these things will only be done if it is profitable and don't abuse it.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm hoping the video has plenty of tips for playing the Greeks as Eight Million Bayonets is next up on my VASL playlist.
It's tough on the greeks! Don't forget the broken morale modifier - and remember to impose the mud tax on the Italians who'll be hit harder than the Greeks. I think at minimum the Greeks should have the balance.

We enjoyed it though!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you want those ideas that you both talked about put them up on kickstarter and see if the money comes in to fund them :)

Printing methods have progressed a lot from the Avalon Hill days and the stuff we use does not reflect that. Witness what Broken Ground has done. Instead of different colour counters for different units you could probably now have the men on the counter in the appropriate uniform colours? In fact it looks like Broken Ground have already done some of that:

If you want those officer counters send Xavier some money and get him to add them to the next LFT Cambodian print run? I'd send you £10 for a sheet of officers named after all the UK players. Adds a bit of fun when you send Pete Phillips into CC and he dies. Comments like too much Newkie Brown spring to mind..................or maybe not enough:)

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Completely agree Joe - but I think having the leader names "official" adds a little to the equation. Not putting down anything that LFT or Broken ground have done (I know CH offered a leader naming service, too, at some point).

The print-on-demand stuff combined with a nice die cut countersheet can't be beyond the realms of possibilities though?!

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did a set of personal counters for the major nationalities for use in my SASL campaigns. I'm OK with them being non die cut because it helps me keep track of myself on the board. ;) Having them done by MMP would be cool. Totally unnecessary, but cool.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah, the years of playtesting done bitd in the hopes of earning a SMC. Now ten quid gets it for you. Progress!?!
I know you're teasing, but it's a fair point. But I'm assuming that there's a difference between being part of an official product and one you had to basically buy yourself. Martin and I made it into the playtesting credits of HP. I've showed too many people that page!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I know you're teasing, but it's a fair point. But I'm assuming that there's a difference between being part of an official product and one you had to basically buy yourself. Martin and I made it into the playtesting credits of HP. I've showed too many people that page!
Yes just teasing!😉 The tendency to be a jick is too powerful for this mortal to overcome !🤣🤣

Had personal SMC been commercially available bitd I might have sprung the $ for Sgt. Jick. Probably would have spent it on wine and similar refreshments though!

I have no problem with buying your own SMC especially if it contributes to your enjoyment of the game.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Nothing wrong with tooting your own horn as long as it's done with humility and in moderation. Lord knows I've become a virtuoso at it!!😉😉🙄🙄🤣🤣

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Completely agree Joe
Yay - it finally happened - someone agreed with me - can I have that in writing please - oh, hang on..................

Many thanks for another fun episode Dave. You and Martin are working hard - hope you're enjoying it. I am.

Can't send you any cash but I can buy you and Martin a beer at a tourny :)

Reaction score
First name
Graham
Country
llCanada
The people are demanding a super expensive core module for the Canadians!

But really, as you said MMP are doing a great job, my only issue as a newer player is how often things are out of stock but I understand the issues they face and it seems to be getting much better in recent years. My only other wish would be maps and overlays available for individual purchase.

Love the show.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The people are demanding a super expensive core module for the Canadians!

But really, as you said MMP are doing a great job, my only issue as a newer player is how often things are out of stock but I understand the issues they face and it seems to be getting much better in recent years. My only other wish would be maps and overlays available for individual purchase.

Love the show.
In the Too Much ASL, Not Enough Space thread some players are talking about ridding themselves of extra kit by just tossing it. I would suggest contacting some of them or starting a thread to see if you can acquire some of what you need.

Many of these people have said they don't want to deal with the hassles involved with shipping and selling but someone bright enough to play ASL should be able to overcome these obstacles.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A ten quid SMC. Mine as thanks for playtesting. Both Sniper bait. 'Nuff said.🙄😉🤣

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Love the show.
I find it odd that more comments are here instead of on the actual YT page.