#38: Monastir Gap

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We talk about the art of losing and play through the December Scenario of the Month (chosen by Stew). News of the tournament that's begining shortly, too, along with details of our amazing mystery donor's care package that arrives in the second half!

Enjoy...

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Roma pack suggestion - I have played three of those now and for me the best one was ROMA2 Second Hand News.

Why do we hate to lose? I think it is part of being human - we are designed that way. Google "why we hate to lose" and "why do people tend to get angry when they lose in a game" and you get some interesting thoughts on the subject.

It is clear that some people hate it more than others.......

Nominations for the newbie rulebook prize. My 90 year old mother has for many years expressed an interest in the game and has today stated that she wants to learn. :)

It looks like I, like Martin, am going to have to learn to live with that carpet.

Many thanks for another fun episode.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forced to participate in a Play-In game! As if I was Florida Atlantic or UT Chattanooga or Monmouth or even <shudder> Michigan State!

OHHH The Ignominy!

Thomas Marshall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hell with the carpet; why has Martin been exiled to a hallway between the kitchen and the stairway to the second floor? And in this episode the kitchen door’s been slammed shut to him!

Another terrific episode, gentlemen. I wasn’t initially sure about the “Losing” topic, but it turned out to be enjoyable and thought-provoking. I guess I’ve never dwelled on losing at ASL that much until this episode; I had so much experience at it over the years, it’s as natural as breathing to me.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Cross- posting from the YouTube channel comments section-

Regarding losing - I really do not mind anymore if I win or lose. I used to worry quite a lot when I was younger but nowadays I see it as a mutual learning opportunity as ASL is a game system which keeps giving new ideas and insights after all these years. I play a lot of ASL with my cousin Mikko and my brother Teemu and we have long discussions after games on what could be done and nuances of rules and such. For us to debrief a scenario might mean several phone calls during the next few days after a game.

I win candy just before you start giving away ASL stuff! Anyways, the package has not yet arrived - I will be sure to serve those candy (not sure of the name- Minstrels?) in my next FtF opportunity and offer a review as soon as they arrive!

Great to see a game of an older scenarios. I have a dim recollection playing it 20 odd years ago.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Very apropos topic coming on the heels of my narrow defeat in BoF 16 and today's "never-ending-scenario" in VotG CG IV. I learned long ago that I can lose to less experienced players or that an apparent win can turn suddenly bad with a DR or two at the wrong time. These days I just shrug, smile and move on to the next game.

Like Martin, I enjoy the additional options of experiencing a battle by playing a squad bleeder scenario. Instead of one fixed scenario describing a battle, a squad bleeder can allow players to try out different but similar terrain, different orders of battles and multiple options on how to gain a victory. The replay ability is also significantly higher than the majority of the standard scenario formats. I would play any of the squad bleeder scenarios from either side.

As always, Martin was very gracious in his comments regarding our game. From my perspective I did not see any egregious errors, just very bad luck, to which I contributed timely low DRs to help prevent a recovery. One of his tanks bogged/mired/immob., two more malfunctioned their guns on their first shots, two more ran out of AP almost immediately. For my part I had a an 81* mortar that wouldn't run out of smoke, managed to retain ROF enough to do damage and immob'd another Pz IV. Martin's last shot at recovery came when he managed to get two squads into CC with two of my tanks. Had they both managed a kill that's 12 more CVP for his pool. They both failed and my tank's return attacks managed to CR those squads.

The last CC DRs were salt-in-wound actions that made me cringe from more than 7000 km away.

Last edited:

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASL is a game where you can do everything right and still lose. You have to accept that.
When the dice gods say "not today", suck it up. Smile and congratulate your opponent because some day it will be your turn.