37*Inf and boresighting

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
So it recently came to my attention that, as far as I can tell, the 37* INF SW used by a few nationalities are precluded from boresighting. The chapter C section on boresighting pretty clearly indicates that only "Guns", HMG, MMG and light mortars are able to use boresighting. Further "Guns" are defined as Ordnance weapons using 5/8" counters. I double checked the chapter H references for the US and French weapons and found no weapon-specific notes countering this.

Did I miss something? This feels like a small oversight as I can't imagine the crews for these weapons would not have had boresighting in their repertoire. Maybe the recoil on these guns was too much for the tripod mounts to reproducibly contain? (Seems very unlikely but I'm no expert.)

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a SW and not a Gun - it is not on a 5/8" counter and as stated in your first line it is a SW. Only SW that can BS are HMG, MMG, and Lt Mortars.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think the rules are clear that they can't bore sight. As to why, one can only/mostly speculate...