#36: TuomoFest II

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
As Jim notes above the German infantry may have too far to go in just seven turns considering how the set up area can be pushed back to Row D/DD. I still believe the Germans need to upgrade at least some of the Pz IIIGs to H models to have a better chance against the US 37LL guns on the US tanks.
Did you have a VASL LOG for your game?
Maybe completely avoid the Forward enemy and just go around them using your superior number in AFV to keep them from retreating.
Its not about taking on the Russian Inf..its about the BUSH!
🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌳🌲

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The pickets invariable die (unless very lucky) but it is the close nature of the terrain that slows the German infantry. I actually got my infantry to the objective area but it took all seven turns to get there. With tanks losses equaling seven of eight tanks (the last recalled because an intensive fire shot had to be taken (TH 9) or the Germans could not take the VC area), the Germans cannot be delayed by more than a turn or they have no opportunity to recover from pins and breaks.

But yes, the log files are available.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The pickets invariable die (unless very lucky) but it is the close nature of the terrain that slows the German infantry. I actually got my infantry to the objective area but it took all seven turns to get there. With tanks losses equaling seven of eight tanks (the last recalled because an intensive fire shot had to be taken (TH 9) or the Germans could not take the VC area), the Germans cannot be delayed by more than a turn or they have no opportunity to recover from pins and breaks.

What about the Roadway on the bottom? CX and get that road rate?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

This was my finding as well. IMO, the Russian setup area needs to be restricted or the Germans need another turn. Absent that, I think allowing the German tanks to enter on turn 1--setting up the possibility of Armored Assault on Turn 2--might make it a little closer. I think the restricted Russian set up would make this better (perhaps even a slight change to >= three hexes of German units. -- jim

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
What about the Roadway on the bottom? CX and get that road rate?
Yup,... my infantry pushed up Board 42 with tank support and then wheeled north into the VC area. In fact it was the southern force that made it behind the Russians to launch an attack from three directions (east, south and west). Without tank support the infantry was simply shot up at point blank range. Note the VC require 'control' of all six woods hexes.

A tough row to hoe with the kit given the Germans.

If anyone wants the log files, send me a PM with your email address and I will send them them along (note the first starts part way through the German T1 MPh).

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That's my ploy against Gerry, final fate yet to be decided. Still looks daunting though.
Sez Mr. Bounding Fire Improbable CH hit. 🧐

Sez Mr Long Range snap-shot who pins and breaks every Russian squad that has moved so far. Well,.... ok,.... one actually made it without failing at something. ;)

Tom may win his game as the Germans,.... but then again,....he might not. 😏 Time and dice will tell.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If anyone wants the log files, send me a PM with your email address and I will send them them along (note the first starts part way through the German T1 MPh).
You can create a single file and upload to ASL Players.net and/or
Asl Scenario Archive to alleviate your Mail Delivery Duties.

But Yes...I'd like to roll through the log.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
¿Qué? No hablo "crear un único archivo". ¿Es griego o alguna otra lengua? 🤔 😕
Pourquoi auriez-vous plusieurs fichiers journaux pour un jeu?
Il est simple de les combiner tous pour éliminer le désordre ou perdre le milieu de la partie.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Il est simple de les combiner tous pour éliminer le désordre ou perdre le milieu de la partie.
Because that's how he played it. Sure, he could open his log files and advance through them but that takes time. I have 4 log files for my game of Saluting a General too. I have no desire to advance through them to create one log file either. Besides, if I gave you one log file, you wouldn't play through it as I lived it. -- jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This was my finding as well. IMO, the Russian setup area needs to be restricted or the Germans need another turn. Absent that, I think allowing the German tanks to enter on turn 1--setting up the possibility of Armored Assault on Turn 2--might make it a little closer. I think the restricted Russian set up would make this better (perhaps even a slight change to >= three hexes of German units. -- jim
I'd prefer an extra turn rather than messing with the other parameters, opines the ACG. The scenario has a "Fighting Withdrawal" appeal to it. As with that old chestnut, an extra turn generally is enough to tip the balance in favour of the Finns.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'd prefer an extra turn rather than messing with the other parameters, opines the ACG. The scenario has a "Fighting Withdrawal" appeal to it. As with that old chestnut, an extra turn generally is enough to tip the balance in favour of the Finns.
Either the turn or letting just setting the German setup area to "on or West of 5/85Z 42H. Either one would work. They are effectively the same thing. -- jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Either the turn or letting just setting the German setup area to "on or West of 5/85Z 42H. Either one would work. They are effectively the same thing. -- jim
As Andre pointed out in another thread, the card allows the Germans to set up as far forward as the R row (P row on board 42), provided they are at least 7 hexes from a Russian unit. Therefore, it's possible for a German unit to set up "behind" the Russian pickets if the Russians leave a hole in the defence. IOW, there are some subtleties to the card that aren't immediately apparent. I think it would be worth having input from Mattias. I'm sure I've missed some other subtleties.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
As Andre pointed out in another thread, the card allows the Germans to set up as far forward as the R row (P row on board 42), provided they are at least 7 hexes from a Russian unit. Therefore, it's possible for a German unit to set up "behind" the Russian pickets if the Russians leave a hole in the defence. IOW, there are some subtleties to the card that aren't immediately apparent. I think it would be worth having input from Mattias. I'm sure I've missed some other subtleties.
I tried this in my game with Andy. I think the <=7 allows for "perfect placement" making this NA if done carefully. Otherwise, a small second picket is enough to make this not practical. Believe me, I tried :) -- jim

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The picket defence is crucial for the Russians if only because the German armour arrives on Turn 2. The same defence would be a catastrophe if the German armour arrived on Turn 1.

That might compel the Russian infantry to set up further back. However, that may also vastly alter the flow of the scenario. A fixed set up area is likely the best answer.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Bien... le jeu s’est joué sur deux jours. Au cours de la deuxième journée, il y a eu perte de connexion serveur nécessitant l’utilisation de deux fichiers.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried this in my game with Andy. I think the <=7 allows for "perfect placement" making this NA if done carefully. Otherwise, a small second picket is enough to make this not practical. Believe me, I tried :) -- jim
Also tried this as the Germans during a playing last fall. My opponent had also caught the possibility, and not matter how I counted the hexes, I couldn't get the needed distance to allow a set up behind his pickets.