#35: Brazil's Here

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Light mortars can boresight per C6.41 ? Or did I not hear that bit correctly?

Many thanks for another fun episode.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good episode guys.

Just a point on the OBA - C1.54 notes that the OBA penalty for friendly fire is only during placement/correction. You should be able to enter the WP concentration without penalty during movement and advance phases.

I agree with your take on the play testing. I'm helping out with a Spanish Civil War scenario set at the moment and it has been a lot of fun.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good episode guys.

Just a point on the OBA - C1.54 notes that the OBA penalty for friendly fire is only during placement/correction. You should be able to enter the WP concentration without penalty during movement and advance phases.
Agreed...have a look at A24.31: "All units...must take a NMC when the WP is placed...see C1.71."

C1.71 says all units in every hex of the Blast Area is effected, not just units in the WP location.

BTW, I think you can jump into a fortified building location if the squad is pinned (see B23.922).

Great episode...again.

indy

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Just for clarity. If friendly units choose to enter the Blast Area hexes they are not penalized by the -1 morale. My read of the rule is that the -1 morale only takes place during placement/correction (so called accidental "friendly fire").

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Light mortars can boresight per C6.41 ? Or did I not hear that bit correctly?
Good catch Joe - I always remember the MMG's, HMGs and "Guns" - get excited about remembering a light mortar isn't a Gun, then forget to read to the end of the paragraph!

Agreed...have a look at A24.31: "All units...must take a NMC when the WP is placed...see C1.71."
and
BTW, I think you can jump into a fortified building location if the squad is pinned (see B23.922).
Nice - two useful learnings there! Cheers Indy!

Just for clarity. If friendly units choose to enter the Blast Area hexes they are not penalized by the -1 morale. My read of the rule is that the -1 morale only takes place during placement/correction (so called accidental "friendly fire").
Got it! Thanks!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looked to me like the only unit that might jump into the fortified location would have had to go uphill into a building, and it was already CX. But I might have missed the right moment.

Tough looking scenario for the Brazilians. Anytime you're attacking across the short width of a board, it's easier than it would seem for just a few defending units to cover that front. And then, with ML 6 troops going uphill on THIS board, with its even narrower approaches? Yikes.

I liked the use of the WP OBA to get the Brazilians across the stream. At that point, though, it looked like half the game was yet to go, and I imagine the Brazilians might have used that time resource to stretch the defense, particularly with the aid of the armor (don't those tanks have smoke mortars?). That rogue 546 that did so well sneaking around the back... Would have been good to give him some friends. Tom The Tank certainly was itching to get up close and personal with the Hun.

Shrug. Easy for me to say, I know, but the frontal assault uphill with ML 6 units... Just gets me thinking there must be an easier way. And since the scenario gives them 8 turns, I wonder if that was worth trying.

Congrats to Dwayne! Definitely gunning for you in the next tourney!

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At that point, though, it looked like half the game was yet to go, and I imagine the Brazilians might have used that time resource to stretch the defense, particularly with the aid of the armor (don't those tanks have smoke mortars?).
Those guys are smoke machines: s7 WP8 and SM8. If that doesn't work then there are always burning wrecks.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You've talked about unbalanced scenarios in the past on these videos and maybe there is another one to look at:

RO1 Blood on the Tracks. I finally found someone who wanted to play the Red Factories stuff and we started at the beginning. It has some errata to the Victory Conditions. Give Toby that one as the Germans and see how he does.

I played it with the new VC and my 10-2 rolled boxcars on a NMC and then a six to die. My OBA on the first roll was boxcars followed by a six on the repair roll. So do not ask me if it is balanced or not :) I would say impossible without OBA smoke.............

I was talking to someone about the scenarios and he described Red Factories "as the most disappointing product that MMP has produced". What does everyone else think?

Last edited:

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was not thrilled by it at first. I was disappointed that there was no chrome added, like there was in VOTG. It seemed as though it had been designed right alongside RB all those years ago but never published until now. It has started to grow on me though. I've played a number of the RO scenarios and the best one was The Playing Field. My ftf partner and I are talking about playing Men Of Steel or the RO CG though. My favorite scenario of the lot was actually a reprint but on the RB map, 138 Of The 138th, only because the overlays formed a new playing surface on the old map. And because I recently read Island Of Fire.

Last edited:

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Back with the AAR of the final of our tournament, we chat about playtesting and the first of a Patreon giveaway of the much sought-after minstrels!
Great podcast guys. The speed-through AAR was fun to watch. This is the first podcast of yours I've watched all the way through, enjoyed it. pjn