#34: Storm of Steel

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Mussolini quote gents is "The olive branch of peace springs from eight million bayonets". I think he was trying to justify spending money on weapons instead of things like schools at a time when a lot of Italians were illiterate.

Vineyard = 0 TEM Martin :)

Many thanks for another episode.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Martin, the word is camaraderie.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two questions:
  1. What are "Minstrels"?
  2. How far away from each other do Dave and Martin live? Britain being an island, I figured it's like 20 minutes from anywhere to anywhere else, right?

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[*]What are "Minstrels"?
Glorious chocolate drops, with a hard outer shell. No melting or residue left on your fingers!

[*]How far away from each other do Dave and Martin live? Britain being an island, I figured it's like 20 minutes from anywhere to anywhere else, right?
We're about an hour's drive away. I don't think we've ever come home when it's light outside to confirm, but the journey out to each other is quite picturesque!

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Great show as always.

Could the board edge creep be neutralized by massed use of AT ditches and AT mines on the board edges? Then you can mass all your AT assets middle of the play area on both boards and can avoid long distance pushing guns operations? Also you could concentrate the AT HS that way in front of your gun setup?

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great show as always.
Thanks! We've got your next game vs Tom lined up. We just have to find a slot in the schedule.

Could the board edge creep be neutralized by massed use of AT ditches and AT mines on the board edges? Then you can mass all your AT assets middle of the play area on both boards and can avoid long distance pushing guns operations? Also you could concentrate the AT HS that way in front of your gun setup?
Yes - almost certainly I setup poorly. Blocking the sides and deploying into the centre seems like a stronger setup. It's a shame that it's not a scenario I'd be that keen to play again - perhaps others would fancy a shot at it?

So they're like high rent M&M's?
Definitely more milk-chocolatey than M&Ms. Smoother, more luxurious. Only the best for us ASLers!

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Definitely more milk-chocolatey than M&Ms. Smoother, more luxurious. Only the best for us ASLers!
Fun fact...the chocolate in the UK is different, imho, than the chocolate in the US (and slightly different
from the chocolate in Canada). I think that the chocolate in the UK uses more milk versus cocoa.

I'll watch the video this weekend...I'm sure it will be entertaining as always!

indy

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Fun fact...the chocolate in the UK is different, imho, than the chocolate in the US (and slightly different
from the chocolate in Canada).
UK chocolate is different, and IMO better tasting than chocolate made in (north) America. 👍

I think that the chocolate in the UK uses more milk versus cocoa.
Or less cocoa. :)

Fun fact: the Rolos in Brit ration packs of the 80s were superior to the Rolos found in Canadian rations of the same period. Lucky for my sweetooth, an entire ration pack could be had for a handful of Kraft peanut butter pouches. Either I was oblivious to a black market trade in KPB, or the Paras were sick of chicken curry*. :D

*Curry was a novelty for us, and a good feed on a cold day north of the (Norwegian) Arctic Circle.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
UK chocolate is different, and IMO better tasting than chocolate made in (north) America. 👍

Or less cocoa. :)

Fun fact: the Rolos in Brit ration packs of the 80s were superior to the Rolos found in Canadian rations of the same period. Lucky for my sweetooth, an entire ration pack could be had for a handful of Kraft peanut butter pouches. Either I was oblivious to a black market trade in KPB, or the Paras were sick of chicken curry*. :D

*Curry was a novelty for us, and a good feed on a cold day north of the (Norwegian) Arctic Circle.

Agreed that the UK's chocolate tastes better. I think it's the milk/cocoa ratio (which is what
I should have said initially).

Interesting about the Rolos.

indy

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
American chocolate tastes of vomit 🤮 At least that is what one of our papers said:

Explains a lot...Hersheys is one of those products that is really popular for reasons unknown to me.

indy

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I once had an opportunity to taste Cadbury's bars side by side from UK, US, Australia and South Africa. I remember the South African one as being easily the best. It was 25 years ago though, I'm sure the ingredients have changed since then.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Our next Patreon giveaway will be a nice big supply of minstrels to get you through your next face-to-face game!

Martin - sign yourself up.. we don't want to miss out here :)

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave and Martin,

Thanks for another interesting and thoroughly enjoyable episode! I thought Martin was drinking an very tiny cup
of coffee until he took a sip...it's that fish-eye-he-lives-in-a-hobbit-home lens Sgt Barker is using!

I showed Janine a few seconds where Martin raises the cup to sip from, and she said "What the heck happened there?!"

Good stuff x 34!

indy

PS: As I've alluded to upstream, Minstrels are lovely. Now, if you gave away Bourbon biscuits,
that would be a different story!

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
PS: As I've alluded to upstream, Minstrels are lovely. Now, if you gave away Bourbon biscuits,
that would be a different story!
Bourbon bikkies are okay--even Walmart carries them. If you are looking for something unique, I'd recommend an Afghan biscuit. But sticking with chocolate sweets, why not give away a packet of Pineapple Lumps* instead. (I can get Minstrels easy enough at my local Scottish and Irish Store.) Besides, it would be fun to watch Martin preparing a batch of pineapple lumps using Diver's original recipe.

*Many thanks to DarylI for mailing us a packet of lumps after a visit home a few years ago. Also included was a bar of Whittaker's chocolate. Brought back fond taste memories.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Another great episode guys, well done.

It was interesting to see the Elefants die as they pressed forwards. I am curious as to whether Dave tried Deliberate Immobilization against them (+5 reduced by -2 for double large target) or if that would have made no difference?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting that "Galaxy" in the UK is "Dove" here in the USA. I'm starting to think there's actually only one company in the whole world that controls everything.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great show as always.

Yup, a quick terrain analysis will show that denying the center to the Germans is not necessary as that route leads to a dead end for his armour in front of the forest anyway and a circuitous route to anywhere else, probably oppossed by massed A-T assets. There's enough A-Ditches and minefields to block off an eastern thrust and a push through the village is just time consuming and an infantry grinding match. This should lead to a thrust towards the hill that can be adequately defended by the Russians, especially against an infantry assault. A-T assets, including the forward HIP elements, can be used to give pause to a bum rush by the German armour and trenches in the backfield can help further canalize the German's route of advance if for nothing else than the possibility of bogging late in the scenario. Overall I rate this one about 70% pro-Russian though it can be a bit of fun and I for one was eager to play it when it first came out.