3 players

Takuya Suzuki

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
(I wonder it may have been discussed before)

We have a little difficulty every time ASL players meet in an odd number.
Is there any suggestion on 3 players game?

I can't hit upon good idea, but the following method might be the better measures...
1) 1 vs 2 players
2) Pick up a scenario which one side will receive a reinforcement. "Pair" select this side.
3) allocate 2 players --- one is for initial set ups, another is for the reinforcement.
4) "Pair" befefits the BALANCE.

Needless to say, official "3 players oriented scenario booklet" is most helpful (such as "The Dogs of War").

T. Suzuki
Japan (non-English speaker, but can read English)

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I've had some good experiences playing 2-on-1 scenarios. Last summer I played a string of scenarios like that and had a blast. I can't exactly recall what they were called ... but they all had one thing in common ... the attacker in the scenario were attacking from 2 different directions with more or less evensized forces. 2 players then attack the 3rd player, just as if only 2 were playing. But it definitely works if you can find good a good scenario. Playing this way puts more pressure on the defender.

I dont recall the name of the scenario, but one I played was a PTO scenario where the Japanese were trying to defend a trio of roadblocks against a vastly superior US/phillipine strike force attack from both the north and south.

The sheer entertainment of seeing the attacker from the north rolling the SAN and then the sniper takes out the southern attackers best leader. Big fun.

paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is one 3 player scenerio, I believe it is called "Dogs of War".
Though it is out of print (forgot the source, sure someone will refresh
my memory).

We have the same problem at our club meetings and though we have
done various 3-player strategies we seemed to have migrated to
encouraging 2 player games.

I sort of believe it is best all the way around to encourage 2 player games.
IMHO, It works best for newbies and for the experienced. We try and
ensure everyone is paired up prior to our bi-weekly meeting. If we have
an odd person out it is usually not that difficult to find someone who has
some campaign game they can work on instead or try extra hard to
round up another player. The key is to coordinate the games prior to
the day of the event.

-Paul

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another good scenario for 3 players is Beachead at Ozereyka Bay, which has Germans and Romanians vs Russians.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J83 - Bloody Nose looks like a good one for a three palyer game. German/Bulgarians vs. Russians.

Stubinpsu

Reaction score
First name
Stuart
Country
llUnited States
"Dogs of War" (TOT45) is designed as a three player game. It's a 1945 melee with Germans, Russians and Partisans (I think those are the three sides) duking it out on city boards. I've never played it but from what I've heard it's a blast.

I don't think it's a stretch to adapt a scenario for three players. You can split the OB and give differnet untis to different players. If it's a combined arms game have one player command the infantry and the other command the armour, or have one player command the at-start force while the other player command reinforcements.

Stu

sdkfz

Reaction score
First name
Rowland
Country
llUnited States
While Time on Targets Dogs of War is the only 'must have 3 players' game I am aware of (and it is a blast to play) I have found that the best 3 way splits are those scenarios where there is a hammer and anvil type of attack. The two players take the side with the split force of course. One benefit to this is that two inexperienced players can play with a more experienced player BUT the split is that one of the inexperienced take the defenders and another the holding/blocking force of the attacker while the moving force is handled by the more experienced player. In essence both inexpereinced players are playing the defender.

VotG has a good one for this (assuming it makes the cut) in Pavlov's House. Others would be TAC 35 "In Spite of all Opposition", HOB NFNH "Aces High" and several of Front Line's Baraque De Fraiture scnearios are easy to split becasue the attacker needs to attack from two or more sides - these require that you decide on the force split of course.

I am sure that there are more, but these are ones that I have played three way.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Recon in Force is good for 3 or even 4 players.
3 players : US, Italians, Germans
4 players : as US are divided in 2 companies, you have 2 US vs Italian and Germans...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Takuya Suzuki said:
(I wonder it may have been discussed before)

We have a little difficulty every time ASL players meet in an odd number.
Is there any suggestion on 3 players game?

I can't hit upon good idea, but the following method might be the better measures...
1) 1 vs 2 players
2) Pick up a scenario which one side will receive a reinforcement. "Pair" select this side.
3) allocate 2 players --- one is for initial set ups, another is for the reinforcement.
4) "Pair" befefits the BALANCE.

Needless to say, official "3 players oriented scenario booklet" is most helpful (such as "The Dogs of War").

T. Suzuki
Japan (non-English speaker, but can read English)
While not officially a 3 player scenario, a good 3 person game is "To The Last Man". There are 2 distinct Russian forces coming from opposite sides of the board. It's DASL so the hexes are big.

Late war brawl with SS surrounded in Budapest making a last stand. Fun toys for both sides. Don't forget you can trade fortified building locations for tunnels (he he). Late war Germans so PF abound.

Most interesting, I've never seen the Russian lose when this scenario is played 1:1. I've only seen the Russian win one time (out of 5-6 playings I know of) when it is player 2:1.

Himmler's House (latest Journal?) was what I think was an attempt at making another version of this (i.e. playable by 3 people), but it still don't match "To The Last Man".

Jazz

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As mentined above Dogs of War and To the Last Man are two good three player scenarios. Anything with a sizeable reinforcement group, especially if it comes in early and from another "side" of the initial force setup can work as well.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the Last Man is a fun scenario, but unbalanced, IMO.... A competant Russian will win about 80 or 90% of the time.

I just finished "Tractor Works" as a three player with two experienced players and one "new" player. The new guy took the defenders in teh Tractor Works, I took the 26 5-2-7 squads... We actually played twice. We won the first game easily, and fought the German to a tie in the second playing.

But we got the newbie totally hooked. :twisted:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
SamB said:
To the Last Man is a fun scenario, but unbalanced, IMO.... A competant Russian will win about 80 or 90% of the time.

But we got the newbie totally hooked. :twisted:
Exactly, when played 1:1, it is way pro Russian. My cat could beat most people and would have a 50% chance vs Pleva as the russian.

When played with 2 russians vs 1 german, I've seen the russians lose 5 out of 6 playings. And these have been competent ASL players as the russian.

Stryker

Recruit
Reaction score
Play "Dogs of War" if at all possible! All 3 of us had a great time. It kind of balanced itself out as the game went along. Came down to the last turn with the Russians winning.

Regards

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that I think about it... You can also try the "hero" game. Just read on for a description.

I was asked to provide more information on how to setup and play the "Hero Game". Here ya go - feel free to ask questions.

1. Pick the map(s). I usually use three geomorphic maps. Sometimes we use a Historical Map - I've used the Tarawa map, for example. This time we used board 12 in the middle, and the Heat of Battle Hill boards on the outside edges.

2. Pick Entry Points. We used the roads that go off the "ends" of the geomorphic maps. There are 6 of them, we assigned a number to each and rolled on die to see where we came on. (Of course, we could have used more entry points...)

3. Select Support Weapons. I used German MGs, Psk's, Flame Thrower, DC, Goliath (we allowed the infantry and the goliath to move together ala "platoon" movement), ATRs.

Note: We could have also included 5/8" ordnance if we made up half inch counters to represent them for the "blind" draw. (if there are 5/8 counters in the "bag" for the draw, it would be easy to pick a large counter). We discussed including radios, but if we did, I'd make it an "instant use" weapon. In other words, I'd have the player announce he had a radio, and he'd place a FFE on board. The drift dr extend of error would be halved, and the FFE would be immediately resolved - and then removed. The player would have to have LOS to the hex where he tried to place the FFE - but that's all.

4. Scatter concealment counters around the map. I've done things as formal as placing them in hexrow 5 and rolling for direction and distance to scatter them, and I've been as informal as to just place them so they are more or less evenly distributed.

5. Randomly deside who goes first (DRs). Starting with that player, play proceeds clockwise around the table.

6. Roll a die (or dice) to determine where you enter the map. Move on and recover a concealment counter using normal ASL rules. The moving player can be fired on by EVERYONE else. But no one can fire at a player unless it is that player's turn. Don't forget CX and don't forget to advance.

7. No one grows concealment - and aggressive play is encouraged. (Personally, I encourage other players to gang up on anyone who "skulks".) :)

8. If a player is killed, on his next turn, he starts at step 6 above and re-enters. He can continue play, but cannot "win" this game. The game ends when only one player is left alive who has not been killed. (in one game the last two players who could win killed each other in simultaneous CC.)

That’s about it. A good way to introduce someone to ASL (sort of) and a quick game at the end of a long day of serious competition. I say "sort of" because it is very different from regular ASL. :)

MSoffa

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam,

Am I missing soething or is there a reason for picking up the concealment counters? Do they do anything for you or is it just something to do while you get shot at?

Mike

samtyson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The concealment counters are swapped for the SW that are in play. The ? counters respresent unknown weapons until they are recovered, then the SW is drawn from the bag-o-counters and is put into play by the recovering hero.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good catch. My explanation didn't say why you'd want to pickup a concealment counter. :?

And give a look to "To the Last Man" (Deluxe Scenairo A) for a good three player game. But you have to give serious balance to the Germans... I mean the printed balance and 4 squads and maybe an extra ATG. Seriously. :)

NoPrisoners

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of the DASL scenarios make good 3-player matches. Charley, Steve, and I played Preparing the Way Saturday. Charley and Steve divvied up the Russians while I took the Germans.
Any scenario with compartmentalized forces (forces entering play as distinct groups) would be good. In the Bag comes to mind. Beast at Bay might work.
Troy, Greg, and I played Bridge at Cheneux three-way; with Greg and I taking the Americans.
Parker's Crossroads, the big scenario from the HOB pack, would work great with three players.

NP