3 New Expert AARs for ATF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perfect Timing!!!

During my last two weeks here in Iraq I've installed ATF and RT on my Laptop. I've got a little more time at night and I'm keyed up enough about going home that I might as well re-learn the systems instead of lying in bed staring into the dark. After a 1.25 years of very little gaming of any kind I'm very rusty, plus I've managed to get a fellow officer interested enough to try AFT, so posting of these AAR's/Tutorials from the past is great!!!! Thanks!

:clown:

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stay safe and come home soon! Thanks for your service.

WMurray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John,

You're welcome. I can post two more AARs, one for Crash Hill, and one for Baghdad Assault, if you're interested. Unfortunately, I don't have anything for the Fulda Gap. My helicopters got shot down, the enemy overran my position, and it wasn't a pretty sight. My troops would have shot me if they could have found me and if any of them had been left.

Bill

WMurray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AATF Auto-Frag Capability

CPangracs said:
Hmmm, sounds like an addition to the AATF engine. Pat?! ;)
Well, you could add a factor pA to pH and pK, where...

pA is the probability of Auto-Fragging, proportional to

1. use of engineers to draw fire (this really works!)
  2. use of dismounts as cannon fodder
  3. rounds PGM ammo fired for the heck of it
  4. BRDM-2s destroyed since they are fun targets
But this should be optional, otherwise I won't be able to
get more than half-way thru the AATF scenarios.:)

Bill

John Osborne

Reaction score
WMurray said:
John,

You're welcome. I can post two more AARs, one for Crash Hill, and one for Baghdad Assault, if you're interested. Unfortunately, I don't have anything for the Fulda Gap. My helicopters got shot down, the enemy overran my position, and it wasn't a pretty sight. My troops would have shot me if they could have found me and if any of them had been left.

Bill
Bill,

I would like to see the two AARs from Crash Hill and Baghdad Assault.

John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey! I have a problem with the first one below!!!!!! :shock: :laugh:

WMurray said:
Well, you could add a factor pA to pH and pK, where...

pA is the probability of Auto-Fragging, proportional to

1. use of engineers to draw fire (this really works!)
  2. use of dismounts as cannon fodder
  3. rounds PGM ammo fired for the heck of it
  4. BRDM-2s destroyed since they are fun targets
But this should be optional, otherwise I won't be able to
get more than half-way thru the AATF scenarios.:)

Bill

WMurray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Combatengineer said:
Well, you could try using officers, but I don't think the TacAI treats them as HPTs for some reason. Maybe Pat can fix this bug in AATF. :)

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Combatengineer said:
Think of it as a sort of backhanded compliment. About the only thing with higher target priority than engineers is helicopters and arty control assets.

Speaking of which, Bill, as a "gamey" tactic helos work extremely well to keep artillery fire of your other forces. Just dangle a helo in view of the enemy stopped for about 30 seconds, then have it move somewhere else. Watch with satisfaction as the enemy plows up the now-vacated ground a couple minutes later with several volleys of every artillery asset at their disposal. Repeat until enemy runs out of ammo. It's pretty safe for the helos thanks to their speed; other ground forces can't always get completely out of the way before the incoming arrives.

To be honest, in many scenarios FIST-Vs aren't useful for much more than drawing fire either since the only thing they can really do is designate PGM.

--- Kevin

WMurray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
evil tricks to play on the TacAI

kbluck said:
Think of it as a sort of backhanded compliment. About the only thing with higher target priority than engineers is helicopters and arty control assets.

Speaking of which, Bill, as a "gamey" tactic helos work extremely well to keep artillery fire of your other forces. Just dangle a helo in view of the enemy stopped for about 30 seconds, then have it move somewhere else. Watch with satisfaction as the enemy plows up the now-vacated ground a couple minutes later with several volleys of every artillery asset at their disposal. Repeat until enemy runs out of ammo. It's pretty safe for the helos thanks to their speed; other ground forces can't always get completely out of the way before the incoming arrives.

To be honest, in many scenarios FIST-Vs aren't useful for much more than drawing fire either since the only thing they can really do is designate PGM.

--- Kevin

The most gamey tactic I've yet devised, probably to Pat's horror, is to take my engineer platoon in Death Valley Attack, and then run them in a wide circle for several minutes until the enemy's ammo is exhausted. Then you merrily proceed with impunity!

I also enjoyed destroying all the enemy artillery, with what I at first thought was a brilliant rendition of maneuver theory, by attacking west thru that annoying blue line separating 2-8 CAV and 2-5 CAV, thru the mountains, and then hooking back to the east. It worked wonderfully!

Then Pat had to mention that those blue lines actually meant something, like there was entire task force I had run thru, oh well...back to the drawing board...

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WMurray said:
The most gamey tactic I've yet devised, probably to Pat's horror, is to take my engineer platoon in Death Valley Attack, and then run them in a wide circle for several minutes until the enemy's ammo is exhausted. Then you merrily proceed with impunity!

I also enjoyed destroying all the enemy artillery, with what I at first thought was a brilliant rendition of maneuver theory, by attacking west thru that annoying blue line separating 2-8 CAV and 2-5 CAV, thru the mountains, and then hooking back to the east. It worked wonderfully!

Then Pat had to mention that those blue lines actually meant something, like there was entire task force I had run thru, oh well...back to the drawing board...
This would have been a PERFECT opportunity to test the "friendly-fire" model...;)

WMurray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
observer placement and FIST-Vs

kbluck said:
To be honest, in many scenarios FIST-Vs aren't useful for much more than drawing fire either since the only thing they can really do is designate PGM.--- Kevin
Kevin--

It took me a while to even figure out what a FIST-V was. Then until recently they also seemed fairly useless to me. But now that I understand a bit more about observer planning and that a FIST-V has superior observation capabilities to most vehicles I could see that I might be able to use them. Esp if I was to go back to BCT again then I could actually do something with them.

But just thinking about observer placement has also helped me in understanding the roles of recon in general, which I can apply in other games, too, such as CMAK.

Regards,
Bill

P.S. See Pat's mini-tutorial on observer placement on the V-CTC website.

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WMurray said:
But now that I understand a bit more about observer planning and that a FIST-V has superior observation capabilities to most vehicles I could see that I might be able to use them.
Not really better than scouts for the human player. For the AI enemy, they're useful since the enemy needs a solid spot to target artillery. For a human player, it is far preferable to use dismounts for the purpose of seeing enemy assets, which you can then target even as yellow spots since you have instant coordination and are generally able to guess what a given group of yellow-spots are likely to be. Spotting with the game FIST-V offers no advantages in targeting speed or accuracy, which it would in real life. In ATF, it doesn't matter who spots for fire except for PGMs; fire always arrives after the specified interval with sniper-like accuracy no matter who actually has eyes on the enemy.

--- Kevin