Not open for further replies.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was making a statement about profanity in general, not calling an individual out as I was supporting what Randy had said, which is also why he let it stand, because he knew where it was coming from. In fact, I had to go to Google to get the proper phrase.
Google is why people become ignorant. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If Jim wants to return to moderation duties and clean up the name calling post, ok.
A) As I said up-thread-and in private-the rules aren't clear. I can't enforce what I don't know.
B) When the rules ARE enforced-such as they are-the are applied un-evenly which is why I keep pointing it out.
C) I try to refrain from name-calling, but I wouldn't enforce this among grown men who should know better.

Last on this thread by me. I respect Dan's work and apologize for drifting to make a point.

-- jim

@RandyT0001 as promised. I still need to get used to this.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I not advocating for should...I am advocating for "should not be disallowed," "should not have words removed from one's mouth," There is a big difference. And for the record there was no profanity in post 135, just in case it is removed.
Wait what?!?!? We were talking about profanity, then you switched it to words being removed. I disagree about profanity, but agree about words being removed.

Words should NEVER be changed. If a mod finds that a post is against the rules then the mod should remove the whole post and it should say, "Post removed because of offensive content", or something similar with a marker to show a post had been there. But a post's content should never be changed.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the rules are well known and evenly applied, it's easy to follow the rules. For instance, saying "Profanity is the language of the ignorant" is calling someone ignorant. Name calling is verboten, no?

Also, it is been said over and over, straying off topic is verboten. Posts have been moved as a result yet yours remains. This is SPAMETO all over again. -- jim

SPAMETO LIVES!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
straying off topic is verboten.
wait, what?! every GS thread by page 2 is morphed into something completely different then the original post. some of the best comments on the game are buried in the middle of threads you would never look twice at.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
wait, what?! every GS thread by page 2 is morphed into something completely different then the original post. some of the best comments on the game are buried in the middle of threads you would never look twice at.
That was the old GS, before the arrival of morality, social justice, and clean language. Of course, SPAMETO still applies. -- jim

@RandyT0001

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That was the old GS, before the arrival of morality, social justice, and clean language. Of course, SPAMETO still applies. -- jim

@RandyT0001
Ah yes... Morality, social justice, and clean language are bad of course. So much less street credibility.
Simply inacceptable to take offence by people being insulted. Much better to be able to insult people.
And, boy, there is a void left by no longer being able to edify oneself by the mutterings of 'Sgt. Lannes' (or what was his name?) and the likes of him in the political section...

[Shrug] I don't get what you are missing.

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
He is mocking you by a parody of "First, they came... " by pastor Martin Niemöller.
And implying that the present moderators are to be compared with the Nazi regime.
I am not mocking him nor am I comparing the current moderators to Nazi's, although I am not surprised you might go there. The point I was making was more subtle. What I am saying is that if don't speak up now, there may be no one left to speak up for me later. It's a game forum. Nothing could compare to the Holocaust. That is not lost on me. I am pretty sure most everyone here knows the original source. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
He is mocking you by a parody of "First, they came... " by pastor Martin Niemöller.
And implying that the present moderators are to be compared with the Nazi regime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...
Thank you for this insight.

Even if it has not been Sparafucils intention to mock me or to compare the moderators with Nazis, I find the use of this poem in the given context quite out of place and honestly quite appalling. In this case I withdraw my apology to Sparafucil. Really poor show IMHO, though maybe not intentional. Maybe as a German, I am more senstitive on this note, but there we are.

I know the poem of Niemöller but I did not recognize it in its English translation.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Here is the rule

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/really-closed-due-to-political-content.156811/page-4#post-2011198

"First, do not make irrelevant, off topic posts in threads."

Topic drift is one thing. Single sentence, short paragraph that is completely off topic is not. You can read through the thread to see an example of an irrelevant post.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for this insight.

Even if it has not been Sparafucils intention to mock me or to compare the moderators with Nazis, I find the use of this poem in the given context quite out of place and honestly quite appalling. In this case I withdraw my apology to Sparafucil. Really poor show IMHO, though maybe not intentional. Maybe as a German, I am more senstitive on this note, but there we are.

I know the poem of Niemöller but I did not recognize it in its English translation.

von Marwitz
I meant no insult nor was I mocking as I alluded above. The lesson of history is we must speak up even when we are not affected. You asked me what I was missing. I answered that I wasn't missing anything and then paraphrased the poem to make the point that if we sit idly by while not affected, there may be no one left to speak up for us when we are. That's what the poem is about. That you are German did not enter my mind. I would have made the same response to anyone who asked the question you did. Had I taken more time, I may have explained the point more thoroughly. -- jim

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I meant no insult nor was I mocking as I alluded above. The lesson of history is we must speak up even when we are not affected. You asked me what I was missing. I answered that I wasn't missing anything and then paraphrased the poem to make the point that if we sit idly by while not affected, there may be no one left to speak up for us when we are. That's what the poem is about. That you are German did not enter my mind. I would have made the same response to anyone who asked the question you did. Had I taken more time, I may have explained the point more thoroughly. -- jim
So what must people speak up about before they are affected? What are people sitting idly by as it affects all so that no one is left to speak? Is it this?

That was the old GS, before the arrival of morality, social justice, and clean language.
Which one should people be speaking up in opposition? Do you seek less morality, less justice, and/or less civility in language?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So what must people speak up about before they are affected? What are people sitting idly by as it affects all so that no one is left to speak? Is it this?
I don't know yet. I don't know your plans nor am I able to read your mind. If I could, I promise, I would read a lot more minds before I got around to yours. I would like to know what's in the Colonel's secret recipe for starters.

Which one should people be speaking up in opposition? Do you seek less morality, less justice, and/or less civility in language?
Paraphrasing a movie, The American President "Freedom isn't easy. Freedom is going to make you work for it. It is advanced citizenship. Freedom isn't here to make you comfortable. Freedom is defending to the death, the right of an individual to do, say, or be something you would spend a lifetime arguing against." I amend my own thought to that paraphrase by adding your exercise of freedom shouldn't infringe on another's pursuit. IMO, that should be a given, but some seem to lose sight of that fact. Your rules run counter to that. I don't seek less morality, less civility, or poor language. That's a strawman. I think most who know me would say I am erudite, mostly polite, mostly considerate, and generally treat people well if they treat me well. I am not perfect and wouldn't claim to be. If I find there is something I don't like, or a poster whose prose I don't like, or topic that I find distasteful, there is the ignore function. There is the scroll wheel. There is my better judgement just to not pay any attention when something shouldn't bother me. If it bothers me enough, I might say "hey, this bothers me", try to change your mind, and then move on. See the options above.

Not to draw parallels to Constitutional Rights or make this more grandiose than it is, here is the original movie clip.
-- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I agree to you that the lesson of history is that we must speak up even when we are not affected.

Yet I find that the citing of this particular poem in this particular context was an unhappy choice.
The context in which the poem has been written is that of a criminal inhuman regime that had millions executed. The context in which you have used the poem is that of moderation limiting insults and politics in a gaming forum.
I will leave it at that.

Over the years we've had some issues in which we don't agree with each other or exchanges that were unhappy - at times rather sharply. But I also believe we agree on important matters, yet sometimes coming from different angles.
In some cases you might not have an intuition when my red lines get crossed. It might be the same vice versa. Still we manage to keep a respectful tone even in cases where our disagreements are serious. I intend to keep it that way.

Cheers
von Marwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.