Status
Not open for further replies.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce,

I am the one to blame for the horrendous crime of allowing Nadir to make every roof on the map different. Is it really that big a deal to come on and ask why the buildings look different. I guess it’s just easier to sit behind the keyboard and be insulting.

For pete's sake Bruce after a 2 minute look at the terrain rules make no mention of a building made out of anything but Wood or Stone. The buildings in question are lighter than the others. Is it that big a deal? That you would insult people who did this great piece of work and I think its the best map that’s ever been done for ASL. If it is. Then the problem is yours not mine.

I know you’ve been doing this a long time but you really need to take a minute before you post something as insulting as your last post was and think about what you’re saying and how you say it. Being a Curmudgeon is only endearing to thosse who actually care about listening to your crap.

if you don’t think it’s worth the price you paid. You can hold it for a couple of months until it goes up on the eBay market.

to those who I’ve offended with this post, I apologize.
Nothing offensive in this post that I can see. Well stated in fact...including the use of "pete's sake."

Edited by moderator to replace profanity in quoted text and response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean "hogwash" perhaps? I mean why else insert "____" Do not be afraid.

From wiki...just in case you all don't hear from me again...as I am now being "followed" by the king. Also just to be clear, so this can't be twisted... I am a North American English speaker. Though I can speak another language and write same...and read a 3rd (dead language).

In everyday language[edit]
Outside of the academic world, among natural speakers of North American English, as an interjection or adjective, "hogwash" conveys general displeasure, an objection to, or points to unfairness within, some state of affairs. It can be also used to refer to how something appears. For example: That looks like hogwash. In this case, one would not say that looks like bull. In general, "hogwash" and "bull" are used in roughly similar contexts to refer to something as nonsensical, although "hogwash" seems to have a somewhat stronger connotation, with an added layer of loathing on the part of the user that isn't as evident when using the somewhat more neutral "bull".

Edited by moderator to replace profanity.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"hogwasy" seems to have a somewhat stronger connotation, with an added layer of loathing on the part of the user that isn't as evident when using the somewhat more neutral "bull".
Exactly contrary to what I would have thought. Perhaps I am not as well-educated as I thought. Hmm... ?

I guess that I can always count on GS to teach me something.

Edited by moderator to replace profanity in quoted text.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly contrary to what I would have thought. Perhaps I am not as well-educated as I thought. Hmm... ?

I guess that I can always count on GS to teach me something.
You are very well educated. The wiki piece failed to address, as I see it, the inflection by region, or different work environments, including by bosses in meetings at a very high professional level; (this as a case in point to the new rules on GS) and even within the military of this nation...that Marine drawn out "bulllllshit" means some thing is fucked up. Horse shit just means something got rat fucked.

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hat Marine drawn out "bulllll" means some thing is fucked up.
Often used as "That's fn' bull!" - a pretty strong sentiment. My recollection of "hogwash" is more akin to something that is penny ante. Remember, though, that I was a Hawaii Marine, so was somewhat out of the mainstream.

Ah, the richness and beauty of the English language.

Edited by moderator to replace profanity in quoted text and response.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Often used as "That's fn' bull!" - a pretty strong sentiment. My recollection of "hogwash" is more akin to something that is penny ante. Remember, though, that I was a Hawaii Marine, so was somewhat out of the mainstream.

Ah, the richness and beauty of the English language.
People people - richness?.. "Strong language" in English largely recycles that same few words. In the time I spent at a local stock brokerage, these folks swore in entire 15 words Cantonese strings that opens up new venues with every new line. They swore about body parts that you never realise you or your relatives had. It's glorious! THAT's richness.

Edited by moderator to replace profanity in quoted text.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
People people - richness?.. "Strong language" in English largely recycles that same few words. In the time I spent at a local stock brokerage, these folks swore in entire 15 words Cantonese strings that opens up new venues with every new line. They swore about body parts that you never realise you or your relatives had. It's glorious! THAT's richness.
We need a sample enlighten us teacher.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Several posts had profanity removed. Do not use profanity. Do not complain that it was removed. Focus of following the rules and we can keep the ASL forums on Gamesquad.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Profanity is the language of the ignorant or some old Marines trying to remember if they still got it.
You have read any great novels then Rob? Maybe start with Chaucer "The Miller's Tale"......"Great Gatsby", .."Catcher in the Rye," "Grapes of Wrath..."...and apropos to the topic at hand..."1984" (you probably read some in HS and maybe forgot) one could go on and on of course...profanity is part and parcel of our language, all languages, and it is not to be fettered...I am certain I have heard it at every ASL tournament I have ever been to here and abroad, and used by the great players and the news and all in between alike. So it and ASL are forever linked.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
You have read any great novels then Rob? Maybe start with Chaucer "The Miller's Tale"......"Great Gatsby", .."Catcher in the Rye," "Grapes of Wrath..."...and apropos to the topic at hand..."1984" (you probably read some in HS and maybe forgot) one could go on and on of course...profanity is part and parcel of our language, all languages, and it is not to be fettered...I am certain I have heard it at every ASL tournament I have ever been to here and abroad, and used by the great players and the news and all in between alike. So it and ASL are forever linked.
If you want to use profanity someplace else, that is an option, there. Not here.

If you do not control yourself here, you will only be using that profanity someplace else.

This is not a novel. This is not ASLOK or another ASL tournament. They, the TD's, determine their rules as I determine the rules here. Businesses do that.

Follow the rules and talk about ASL and gaming.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If you want to use profanity someplace else, that is an option, there. Not here.

If you do not control yourself here, you will only be using that profanity someplace else.

This is not a novel. This is not ASLOK or another ASL tournament. They, the TD's, determine their rules as I determine the rules here. Businesses do that.

Follow the rules and talk about ASL and gaming.
Shouldn't this post be moved off topic? -- jim

@RandyT0001 as promised.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I’ve read countless debates on BoardGameGeek on this very topic, so I’ve heard all sides more than I care to and it still crops up 2-3 times a year.

Some guys argue freedom of speech and censorship, while the other side has 11 and 12 year olds and other family members on BGG reading about games, and would like it toned down a little. Both are right.

It comes down to the owners of the site and what they want. I’ll choose to follow the rules.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I’ve read countless debates on BoardGameGeek on this very topic, so I’ve heard all sides more than I care to and it still crops up 2-3 times a year.

Some guys argue freedom of speech and censorship, while the other side has 11 and 12 year olds and other family members on BGG reading about games, and would like it toned down a little. Both are right.

It comes down to the owners of the site and what they want. I’ll choose to follow the rules.
I not advocating for should...I am advocating for "should not be disallowed," "should not have words removed from one's mouth," There is a big difference. And for the record there was no profanity in post 135, just in case it is removed.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If the rules are well known and evenly applied, it's easy to follow the rules. For instance, saying "Profanity is the language of the ignorant" is calling someone ignorant. Name calling is verboten, no?

Also, it is been said over and over, straying off topic is verboten. Posts have been moved as a result yet yours remains. This is SPAMETO all over again. -- jim

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
If the rules are well known and evenly applied, it's easy to follow the rules. For instance, saying "Profanity is the language of the ignorant" is calling someone ignorant. Name calling is verboten, no?

Also, it is been said over and over, straying off topic is verboten. Posts have been moved as a result yet yours remains. This is SPAMETO all over again. -- jim
Right, we are working on removing the most offensive language first, profanity.

If Jim wants to return to moderation duties and clean up the name calling post, ok.

After that we can start direct actions against intentionally straying off topic or creating off topic posts to cause disruptions problems.

These issues have been addressed.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I was making a statement about profanity in general, not calling an individual out as I was supporting what Randy had said, which is also why he let it stand, because he knew where it was coming from. In fact, I had to go to Google to get the proper phrase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.