2KIA and random selection

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If this has been asked and answered before I apologize

A stack of 3 Russian squads are fired on and the result is a 2KIA
How does random selection work. Obviously if you roll 3 dice and you roll no duplicate then you could just say that the 2 highest die are the ones effected.

But what happens if the two highest of the die are the same. Are they the only ones effected as this would satisfy the 2KIA requirement.
What if the two lower are the same do you take the highest die unit as 1 KIA and then since the last two were the same are they removed assuming that they are removed for Random Selection?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
The question has been asked before:

A.9 & A7.301
Four infantry units are in a Location that is effected by a 2KIA IFT result. The Random Selection DR is 6 , 6, 5, 3. How many are eliminated?
A. 2.

The Random Selection DR is 6, 5, 5, 3. How many are eliminated?
A. 3.

The Random Selection DR is 6, 6, 5, 5. How many are eliminated?
A. 2.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In trying to get my head around the Q&A, I think of it as multple rolls in one DR.

* If you rolled first to determine one of the two KIAs (with another roll to come for the 2nd KIA), and rolled 6,6,#,#, you have a tie random selection, and eliminate 2 units. Since the rules say a 2KIA is satisfied at 2 dead units, no need for another roll.

* If you rolled first to determine one of two KIAs, and rolled a 6,#,#,#, then only the first of two units is KIAed, and the second DR for the second KIA is assumed to be [6],5,5,#, a tied random selection, so another two units are KIAed for a total of 3 KIAs.

* As in the first example, the "first" DR is 6,6,#,#, so the two KIAs are satisfied and no further RS DR is needed.

DON'T STACK.