2d symbols modification

tank1977

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have several questions regarding the 2d symbols common to all the PC games:

1. How are they linked to the units? i.e. How does a mech infantry unit know to use the mech symbol?

2. Is there a finite number of symbols that can be used (the list in the game) or could the number of symbols be increased.

3. Can they be replaced?

4. What are the size restrictions (X x Y) of the individual unit graphics?

My wish would be to be able to:

1. Use WW II german military symbols versus the NATO style used. (That required more symbols to be used due to the greater amount of detail/variation allowed by the german system.

2. If an infinite number could be created and used, each unit could have it's own unique symbol. That, of course, would be a long term project.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have several questions regarding the 2d symbols common to all the PC games:
OK - the 2D Symbols are read from the files:
2DSymbolsLg.bmp
and
2DSymbolsSm.bmp

1. How are they linked to the units?
The link is by the CLASS and TYPE as defined in the OOB Editor

i.e. How does a mech infantry unit know to use the mech symbol?
Class INFANTRY and Type Tracked or Hard Half Track

2. Is there a finite number of symbols that can be used (the list in the game) or could the number of symbols be increased.
I would say yes - the symbols used in the game represent the places the program reads.

3. Can they be replaced?
I would say yes - I've done a variation to Airborne or Parachute Inf once.

4. What are the size restrictions (X x Y) of the individual unit graphics?
Not sure - I would think it is defined by the area inside the symbol now.

My wish would be to be able to:

1. Use WW II german military symbols versus the NATO style used. (That required more symbols to be used due to the greater amount of detail/variation allowed by the german system.

2. If an infinite number could be created and used, each unit could have it's own unique symbol. That, of course, would be a long term project.
I am not sure this is something you will be able to do as I don't see how you the program would read symbols in positions other than those already defined.

Glenn

BattlerBritain

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Try making a copy of the 2DSymbolsxx.bmp, edit out the old symbol and add the new symbol (eg German WW2 symbol) by adding text from say the Tom Mouat TrueType fonts (see Other Fonts Download ).

I've used Tom's fonts with other packages (Aide-De-Camp) and they work pretty well with bitmaps.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Try making a copy of the 2DSymbolsxx.bmp, edit out the old symbol and add the new symbol (eg German WW2 symbol) by adding text from say the Tom Mouat TrueType fonts (see Other Fonts Download ).

I've used Tom's fonts with other packages (Aide-De-Camp) and they work pretty well with bitmaps.
Just to remove any possible confusion here - there are several files called:

2DSymbolsxx.bmp
...where xx = Lg or Sm

There is one in each NATIONS folder which controls the color of the units - IE Brown for Russian, Green for US ect.

There is another one in the \Map folder and this is the one the poster is referring to above.

HOWEVER, in the original thread I think the question might not have been about changing ONE SYMBOL for another, on a ONE to ONE rather I think it was a different set of symbols and possibly a different set of one side than the other. If this is the case, then I don't think it will work.

ALSO - how the SYMBOL in the 2Dsymbols file is related to the unit as defined in the OOB is HARD CODED within the program, based on the UNIT CLASS and UNIT TYPE.

Anyway - if there is any specific questions on this maybe email them to me and we can see if what you are trying to do is possible or not before you spend time ammending the BMP file.

Glenn